P1000 White Lightning Build

snuffnwhisky submitted a new Garage Item:

White Lightning Build

Bought her 2 weeks ago. Had a full page s*** list the first night. Didn't really know about Honda having a sxs or much about sxs's until I talked to my brother about getting one. He works at the local Honda shop... lucky me! Started reading this forum after talking to him and out of the blue a guy at work wanted a four-wheeler and I had one... so it begins!

View attachment 23741

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That’s just a few pics, I’ve got lots of vids in deep water and never an issue.

Just tighten every connection from snorkel head to motor. Some guys have had the tubes slip off the throttle body.

Also, I run a 3” filter in place of the snorkel head and the stock filter stays a lot cleaner.

Reactions: Adam490 and sharp
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@dswv42 , I've been really happy with the hood snorkel. I've definitely been in water that would have made me nervous with the stock inlet.

Between the UNI prefilter and K&N filter I'm probably not as clean as a Honda OEM filter but at least I'm not throwing away the filter every 1000 miles

IMG 20200626 172957

Reactions: joeymt33
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m still using the stock location air intake and play in the water a lot. Never an issue with the through hood snorkel. Just snorkel it and forget it.

View attachment 212321View attachment 212322View attachment 212323View attachment 212324View attachment 212325View attachment 212326

I'm sure it works, up to a point. However, relocating the air intake inlet is part of another idea I'm working on to address the exhaust manifold heat issues, one which does not require noisy bilge fans under the seat. You know how these things go, one change cascades into many.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is what can happen to the stock cage, and while I know nothing about what actually happened, it appears to be a simple rollover accident. Combine this with the weak upper front control arm tabs, and considering that these machines can do 60 MPH, it's not hard to envision being killed after one failure cascades into another one.

View attachment 212178

After thinking about it, I'm convinced that SXS manufacturers design these machines in a vacuum, with little to no consideration of just how safe they really are, or in this case... aren't. For example, here are some pretty basic questions that have been part of basic vehicle design for more than 50 years. What happens if someone hits a pothole at or near the vehicle's top speed? What happens during a rollover accident? What happens if the brakes fail completely? What happens if it jumps out of gear while parked on a hill? What happens if the exhaust gets too hot during a misfire? What happens if you hit something while driving and it flies up and hits the firewall or wheel well? It ain't exactly rocket science.

Granted, SXS manufacturers must do whatever they can to keep manufacturing costs as low as possible, while creating a product that people want to buy. However, most of the problems plaguing the Honda Pioneer 1000 could have been easily solved by simply using a little common sense and basic testing procedures. Better yet, they should have come up with designs, built reasonably safe production prototypes, then put them into the hands of people like us who would use and abuse them, seeing what works and what doesn't. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than the damage it can do to their reputation, let alone the cost of litigation if a child were to die due to faulty designs.

Personally, I'd like to see less "recall, recall, recall", less "cha ching, cha ching, cha ching", and more "fun, fun, fun".
I would say looks more like an 'end-over flip'.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm sure it works, up to a point. However, relocating the air intake inlet is part of another idea I'm working on to address the exhaust manifold heat issues, one which does not require noisy bilge fans under the seat. You know how these things go, one change cascades into many.

I’m in the shop right now so I will take a picture of my set up which may help you.

First, The foil backing under the seat didn’t help very much until I used one piece that went from under the seat all the way up the back and that made a drastic difference.

9a7c9427fd90a1727ac890ff1c67fa63

Second, I made a little heat shield that helped quite a bit especially for the passenger side rear passenger seat.

06c63c81b01afe75957ec4348021ed25

This heat shield helps channel the air from the bilge fan out the back instead of it blowing up.

4078c6b61a56e76cf27adcb75dc43a63

The 4” quiet series is what I used.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also, use gorilla tape for the seat belt locations

E46b48035bec7ef453c10cb50b20b9df

Then the gear selector thingy helped a lot!

48d8c76a851dcbef53ae4ec118db3c8d

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m in the shop right now so I will take a picture of my set up which may help you.

First, The foil backing under the seat didn’t help very much until I used one piece that went from under the seat all the way up the back and that made a drastic difference.

View attachment 212328

Second, I made a little heat shield that helped quite a bit especially for the passenger side rear passenger seat.

View attachment 212329

This heat shield helps channel the air from the bilge fan out the back instead of it blowing up.

View attachment 212330

The 4” quiet series is what I used.

Yes, metal shielding to form a duct cavity over the exhaust manifold is exactly what I have in mind. It blocks radiant heat and forced airflow reduces convection heating. The trick is carefully directing airflow to prevent superheated air from causing more problems.

Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That’s a good one right there.

“White lighting”....this build thread.....barrel rolled down a rocky hill in the fall of 2017. It rolled over twice. As you have probably noticed, it has a custom roll cage and it suffered absolutely zero damage with the exception of a cracked wheel spacer. The occupants were wearing their harnesses and there was no injuries.

I probably should do a new roll cage someday but I should first get it rolling again.
Bulls***. I hurt my pride.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Yes, metal shielding to form a duct cavity over the exhaust manifold is exactly what I have in mind. It blocks radiant heat and forced airflow reduces convection heating. The trick is carefully directing airflow to prevent superheated air from causing more problems.
But causes the opposite problem when not moving or serious fan. Been there, done all of that X2...

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
But causes the opposite problem when not moving or serious fan. Been there, done all of that X2...

I thought of that, and may have a viable solution in mind, but it's only theoretical at this time. One must be very careful not to trap heat, or it can certainly make things worse.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!