P1000 White Lightning Build

snuffnwhisky submitted a new Garage Item:

White Lightning Build

Bought her 2 weeks ago. Had a full page s*** list the first night. Didn't really know about Honda having a sxs or much about sxs's until I talked to my brother about getting one. He works at the local Honda shop... lucky me! Started reading this forum after talking to him and out of the blue a guy at work wanted a four-wheeler and I had one... so it begins!

View attachment 23741

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think Joey has pic's. Basically locate 1 stock hole and match that to these. We're are running heim joints so it's not that critical as we can adjust. I did add the 2nd notch so a SATV arm could be used and cut the tube to have 2 bolts instead of the 1.

Its funny that you mentioned cutting the arms. I originally considered cutting the bushing tube off the front upper control arms and replacing it with two larger bushing tubes, but jigs would need to be made, etc. However, I've since begun thinking about simply cutting the middle section out of the bushing tube and adding a second set of tabs and gussets to the existing front upper control arm mount. It negates the need to remove the factory mount, with the added benefit of being able to use the factory holes to establish a perfect alignment of the new tabs.

My ultimate goal is to establish long-term reliability for utility use and some occasional light to moderate trail riding, possibly with a small lift added for better ground clearance and bigger tires. My pucker factor kicks in long before I could approach some of the crazy stuff you guys tackle. It looks like a lot of fun though.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those mounts look great, and are exactly what I had in mind to replace the weak stock upper mounts. Do you have any pics of the stock mounts being removed and the new mounts attached to the frame? What type of jigs did you fabricate to maintain the correct alignment?

The way they are shaped they fit the frame and are some what self-aligning. You have to do a some fitting to make them sit flush. With what @snuffnwhisky has done the heims make a SMALL error in mount location somewhat easy to overcome. The upper lines up off the crossbar and the factory upright. My upper passenger factory mount was bent badly and the bar behind it was misshapen. You have to save the factory brake line mount and weld it to the top of the upper mount.

I plasma gouged 95% of the factory mounts off then used lots of 2” and 4.5” flap wheels to clean the frame up. @joeymt33 had a little more work cleaning the factory mounts off not plasma gouging them

3BAD6598 7059 4500 A399 DB79502F22EA
D8E51472 A13F 4241 BF71 CA4D7DA267A5
BF2DE062 5DF9 4204 8FCA 52C4E19EBB27
4039947C CC98 4436 B8CF 0FB3DDB4A37A

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Its funny that you mentioned cutting the arms. I originally considered cutting the bushing tube off the front upper control arms and replacing it with two larger bushing tubes, but jigs would need to be made, etc. However, I've since begun thinking about simply cutting the middle section out of the bushing tube and adding a second set of tabs and gussets to the existing front upper control arm mount. It negates the need to remove the factory mount, with the added benefit of being able to use the factory holes to establish a perfect alignment of the new tabs.

My ultimate goal is to establish long-term reliability for utility use and some occasional light to moderate trail riding, possibly with a small lift added for better ground clearance and bigger tires. My pucker factor kicks in long before I could approach some of the crazy stuff you guys tackle. It looks like a lot of fun though.
Correcto, but still brace the front upper. I made another front tab but taller like a D instead of A shaped and welded to the tube and existing mount.

J

JTW

I’m running SATV a arms and stock tabs... I’ve ridden as difficult and as much hard stuff as anyone and other than axles... it’s all been fine. My point is... quit worrying about it and ride.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Correcto, but still brace the front upper. I made another front tab but taller like a D instead of A shaped and welded to the tube and existing mount.

That's exactly what I had in mind, additional bracing to distribute the loads over a larger portion of the frame tube, to prevent stress cracks. I also wonder if the main bumper mounts couldn't benefit from additional bracing, primarily for the winch.

D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’m running SATV a arms and stock tabs... I’ve ridden as difficult and as much hard stuff as anyone and other than axles... it’s all been fine. My point is... quit worrying about it and ride.

I firmly believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This is a known problem with multiple failures, and I would rather fix it before it has the opportunity to strand me or cause an accident. Besides, mods are half the fun of owning these machines.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I firmly believe that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This is a known problem with multiple failures, and I would rather fix it before it has the opportunity to strand me or cause an accident. Besides, mods are half the fun of owning these machines.

If you are going to do it, It’s a LOT of work swapping the mounts out, a lift is preferable as is a shop with AC.

Reactions: BigOL3
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If you are going to do it, It’s a LOT of work swapping the mounts out, a lift is preferable as is a shop with AC.

I have a nice garage with plenty of room to work, and considered installing a two post lift, but somehow manage to get by without one so I keep putting it off. When the time comes, I plan to have accumulated a long list of mods, and will strip 90% of the plastics and go to town. I figure it's easier that way, with the added benefit of being able to search for loose grounds and other things screwed up by the factory goon squad.

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a nice garage with plenty of room to work, and considered installing a two post lift, but somehow manage to get buy without one so I keep putting it off. When the time comes, I plan to have accumulated a long list of mods, and will strip 90% of the plastics and go to town. I figure it's easier that way, with the added benefit of being able to search for loose grounds and other things screwed up by the factory goon squad.

Yes something like that...couple
Month old picture old picture.

C7781FF7 4E1C 4C0D 9C03 6C1FA4B41A09

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's close to what I have in mind, but I might go a little farther. Perhaps something like this, minus the bed for easier access. Ladies are best viewed when naked, so why not go all the way?

View attachment 212172
You can sure talk the talk.

J

JTW

That’s true.. but it’s all depending on how you like to ride. From what you’re saying... you’re just doing mods and work because you like to do mods and work. It’s less that the machine “needs” it for the kind of riding you’ll be doing.

Reactions: BigOL3 and Landman
D

dswv42

Jul 8, 2020
Charleston, WV
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That’s true.. but it’s all depending on how you like to ride. From what you’re saying... you’re just doing mods and work because you like to do mods and work. It’s less that the machine “needs” it for the kind of riding you’ll be doing.

Not exactly, while I do enjoy doing mods, there are also practical considerations. Most of my chores are light, but not all of them. In addition, some WV trails are brutal, and I sometimes like to go off the beaten path when riding. I don't ride often, and rarely go to extremes, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I've always had a bad habit of taking my toys apart.
This is all bashing rocks recommendations - The most common problems are front upper a arm tabs and crossmembers bending. Of coarse we beat the s*** out of them. D shaped front tab added on (separate bushings and mounts, better) and crossmember bracing adding solid square bar to the existing mount and in front of the shift linkage,

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not exactly, while I do enjoy doing mods, there are also practical considerations. Most of my chores are light, but not all of them. In addition, some WV trails are brutal, and I sometimes like to go off the beaten path when riding. I don't ride often, and rarely go to extremes, but it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

You’ll be fine with factory tabs, throw some gussets on and save yourself a LOT of work.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I added something like 42 braces to my YXZ before I took it out. Was a lot easier being new an not worrying about it already tweaked. But with my expectation, I and others might have beat the wholey f***ing s*** out of it also (preplaned lol) It's a trooper haha.

20200229 154305

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!