JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
And now.... the review!
So after my brief ride in the field this morning, I brought the machine back in the shop, and proceeded to reassemble.. And I figgerred I might as well adjust the clutch, cuz the shifts have been getting a little sloppy lately, so I went ahead with that.... So after 1.5 hrs of f'n with it, it doesn't shift fer sh*t! Won't shift without releasing throttle at all, and when it does shift it's brutal.. I tried adjusting from 1/8 turn, all the way out to 1 full turn, with no change at all. P.M.O.!! Took it to the trails anyways. Can you say UN-BEE-LEEV-ABLE! I knew a locker in this machine would make a difference, but this is crazy different! I headed straight to the part of the trail with the tightest turns and went through there with no issues, in fact, if you blip the throttle a bit, I think it'll turn even tighter. This section is all 1st gear stuff- it's tight, pivoting off trees tight.. Yes the steering is heavier- kinda sorta... I wasn't 'palming' it, now that I think about it..It crawled over all the new deadfall from the big wind storm we had a couple weeks ago with no issues- I mention that, because I didn't switch the suspension to 'articulation' mode, and left the shocks at maximum ground clearance to more closely mimic the stock suspension- stiff. So after going through the tight stuff, I headed to the first real hill climb. This hill is pretty steep, but I don't have to drop the front end every time to climb it, sometimes it will make it, but spinning the whole way up. *I do all my traction tests in 1st gear doing my best to maintain traction, not just plant the throttle and let it dig holes, or 'charge up' in 2nd using momentum* So I just turned up the hill, and simply drove up.. I do mean 'simply' drove up. It's like the hill lost 10degs. of slope. Didn't spin AT ALL. Now I'm thinkin' 'that's pretty cool'! So off to the steeper stuff. The next two hills require dropping the front end every time, and one usually requires me to drive up a bit, then back down to get a straight shot- it's in a tight ravine that requires turning into the hill, so normally I can't make it with out the lining up thing. Well, I just turned into the hill, and again, just drove up the damn hill! It didn't spin. Hill #3- this is the one where I did the video demonstrating the difference it makes to traction by dropping the front end down to climb the hill. Drove straight up- no spin- shocks pumped up, tires pumped up...ridiculous, right? I sat at the top of that hill thinking, what the hell is Honda thinking, not putting a locking front diff in this machine?!? I headed for a downed tree that gets me every time- It's about 50/50 shot that I'll be winching- there's a nice stump about 25' away that has plenty of cable scars on it... Drove right over it... turned around and drove over it again....crazy! So I headed to the last hill. This one's a 'white knuckler' cuz there's a big tree at the bottom with exposed roots that makes it impossible to get over when going back up, so I normally have to go up on the opposite side of the tree and then make a slight turn to get back on the trail, and then climb- often takes me several tries, and it's possible to get sideways, and slide onto that tree, and then it's winch time... There's some swampy stuff at the bottom too, so getting turned around requires some careful planning to avoid getting stuck. So I go down the hill into the ravine, I purposely just made a circle in the swampy stuff, and figured 'what the hell, I'll try going over the roots'. (I spent a good half hour trying to get over those roots the first time I went down into that ravine, trying to avoid the scary maneuvering thing on the other side- it just wouldn't go over. ) I drove up onto the roots, it scrambled a bit, and just kept going.... straight up the hill. The spool just turned my most challenging, close to home trail, into a beginner ride..
Headed for the truck. Loaded er on the trailer- no ramps- don't need no stinkin ramps....
So, after that glowing review, what's the downside?
Please keep in mind, most of the 'glowing' parts are speaking to the difference locking the front diff on a P500 makes. The spool, is presently, the only means of doing that....Now the downside:
Having the front end locked all the time, is most assuredly putting more stress on the entire front end- unless you're in mush all the time.
No power steering- forget it- seriously, don't do it.
When backing up, the steering can get very heavy and pull the steering all the way to lock, and just about can't be moved till you go forward again.
If you are getting by, riding in 2wd most of the time- spool is not a good idea.
If you use a snow plow- I can't say it won't work, but wouldn't recommend, I'm not even going to try it.
So that's it boys and girls, if you don't mind losing some steering comfort, and you ride mostly challenging trails or slippery stuff, and you just want to lock the damn diff now, and you're the second most impatient person on earth, (I hold the title) the spool definitely works, it's inexpensive, and it's available.
I'm still going to swap in Torqmasters locker as soon as I can get one because I still ride pavement and hard-pack enough to want to (hopefully) take the stress off the front end, at least when in 2wd, and I want to support their efforts and investment too.
And finally: A BIG THANK-YOU, TO HONDASRULE! Your skill, your efforts, your investment, and your trust in me, are very much appreciated.
JWB

Now I have to figure out what the hell I did to my clutch...

Last edited:
Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
And now.... the review!
So after my brief ride in the field this morning, I brought the machine back in the shop, and proceeded to reassemble.. And I figgerred I might as well adjust the clutch, cuz the shifts have been getting a little sloppy lately, so I went ahead with that.... So after an 1.5 hrs of f'n with it, it doesn't shift fer sh*t! Won't shift without releasing throttle at all, and when it does shift it's brutal.. I tried adjusting from 1/8 turn, all the way out to 1 full turn, with no change at all. P.M.O.!! Took it to the trails anyways. Can you say UN-F'N-BEE-LEEV-ABLE! I knew a locker in this machine would make a difference, but this is crazy different! I headed straight to the part of the trail with the tightest turns and went through there with no issues, in fact, if you blip the throttle a bit, I think it'll turn even tighter. This section is all 1st gear stuff- it's tight, pivoting off trees tight.. Yes the steering is heavier- kinda sorta... I wasn't 'palming' it, now that I think about it..It crawled over all the new deadfall from the big wind storm we had a couple weeks ago with no issues- I mention that, because I didn't switch the suspension to 'articulation' mode, and left the shocks at maximum ground clearance to more closely mimic the stock suspension- stiff. So after going through the tight stuff, I headed to the first real hill climb. This hill is pretty steep, but I don't have to drop the front end every time to climb it, sometimes it will make it, but spinning the whole way up. *I do all my traction tests in 1st gear doing my best to maintain traction, not just plant the throttle and let it dig holes, or 'charge up' in 2nd using momentum* So I just turned up the hill, and simply drove up.. I do mean 'simply' drove up. It's like the hill lost 10degs. of slope. Didn't spin AT ALL. Now I'm thinkin' 'that's pretty cool'! So off to the steeper stuff. The next two hills require dropping the front end every time, and one usually requires me to drive up a bit, then back down to get a straight shot- it's in a tight ravine that requires turning into the hill, so normally I can't make it with out the lining up thing. Well, I just turned into the hill, and again, just drove up the damn hill! It didn't spin. Hill #3- this is the one where I did the video demonstrating the difference it makes to traction by dropping the front end down to climb the hill. Drove straight up- no spin- shocks pumped up, tires pumped up...ridiculous, right? I sat at the top of that hill thinking, what the hell is Honda thinking, not putting a locking front diff in this machine?!? I headed for a downed tree that gets me every time- It's about 50/50 shot that I'll be winching- there's a nice stump about 25' away that has plenty of cable scars on it... Drove right over it... turned around and drove over it again....crazy! So I headed to the last hill. This one's a 'white knuckler' cuz there's a big tree at the bottom with exposed roots that makes it impossible to get over when going back up, so I normally have to go up on the opposite side of the tree and then make a slight turn to get back on the trail, and then climb- often takes me several tries, and it's possible to get sideways, and slide onto that tree, and then it's winch time... There's some swampy stuff at the bottom too, so getting turned around requires some careful planning to avoid getting stuck. So I go down the hill into the ravine, I purposely just made a circle in the swampy stuff, and figured 'what the hell, I'll try going over the roots'. (I spent a good half hour trying to get over those roots the first time I went down into that ravine, trying to avoid the scary maneuvering thing on the other side- it just wouldn't go over. ) I drove up onto the roots, it scrambled a bit, and just kept going.... straight up the hill. The spool just turned my most challenging, close to home trail, into a beginner ride..
Headed for the truck. Loaded er on the trailer- no ramps- don't need no stinkin ramps....
Please keep in mind, most of the 'glowing' parts are speaking to the difference locking the front diff on a P500 makes. The spool, is presently, the only means of doing that....Now the downside:
Having the front end locked all the time, is most assuredly putting more stress on the entire front end- unless you're in mush all the time.
When backing up, the steering can get very heavy and pull the steering all the way to lock, and just about can't be moved till you go forward again.
If you are getting by, riding in 2wd most of the time- spool is not a good idea.
If you use a snow plow- I can't say it won't work, but wouldn't recommend, I'm not even going to try it.
So that's it boys and girls, if you don't mind losing some steering comfort, and you ride mostly challenging trails or slippery stuff, and you just want to lock the damn diff now, and you're the second most impatient person on earth, (I hold the title) the spool definitely works, it's inexpensive, and it's available.
I'm still going to swap in Torqmasters locker as soon as I can get one because I still ride pavement and hard-pack enough to want to (hopefully) take the stress off the front end, at least when in 2wd, and I want to support their efforts and investment too.
And finally: A BIG THANK-YOU, TO HONDASRULE! Your skill, your efforts, your investment, and your trust in me, are very much appreciated.
JWB

Great review!!! All the trail stuff you mentioned gave me a chubby!!! I don't event bother re-spooling my winch cable I just roll it around my bumper, That would take care of that.

Can you expend maybe on the 2WD driving? HONDASRULE mentioned that there was no difference?

As for plowing, I assume it would be from the power steering being overworked?

As for the clutch adjustment, for me its seems one time its 1/4 turn the next its 1/3... No idea why and one time I couldn't adjust it as well for some reason. Went for a ride and then it started cooperating again, go figure...

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Great review!!! All the trail stuff you mentioned gave me a chubby!!! I don't event bother re-spooling my winch cable I just roll it around my bumper, That would take care of that.

Can you expend maybe on the 2WD driving? HONDASRULE mentioned that there was no difference?

As for plowing, I assume it would be from the power steering being overworked?

As for the clutch adjustment, for me its seems one time its 1/4 turn the next its 1/3... No idea why and one time I couldn't adjust it as well for some reason. Went for a ride and then it started cooperating again, go figure...
I don't know what the hell I did wrong on the clutch adjust- it's just about a no brainer... Ya, I tried everything from 1/8 to full turn- incrementally. No change at all, like something is hung up inside, or broken...

The 'no difference in 2wd'- The steering is heavy in 2 or 4wd now, it doesn't seem to change, but I didn't even bother to test that theory on hard pack, only on the trail. The machine just wants to go in a straight line more than without the spool.

Thanks for the compliment on the review!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Great review and glad it's working for yo
My shifting will act up every now and then ,when the machine is cold. After it warms up its fine after that !
Thanks for the compliment on the review!
What really sucks, is that it was shifting fine, it was starting to do a bit of a slide.....bump when shifting, so I figured I'd just do the adjustment while it was easy to reach from the bottom while I had the skids off... I adjusted it when I first got the machine- it would hang the 1-2 shift, and it's been good ever since. Till now:mad::mad:

C

Chooglin

@JWB did your shifting problem start after the spool install or before ? I just wonder if it's not shifting because the drive train is loaded , not allowing it to shift ? Does it shift fine if you are going staight ? (not turning the wheel)

Reactions: pFive
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
And now.... the review!
So after my brief ride in the field this morning, I brought the machine back in the shop, and proceeded to reassemble.. And I figgerred I might as well adjust the clutch, cuz the shifts have been getting a little sloppy lately, so I went ahead with that.... So after an 1.5 hrs of f'n with it, it doesn't shift fer sh*t! Won't shift without releasing throttle at all, and when it does shift it's brutal.. I tried adjusting from 1/8 turn, all the way out to 1 full turn, with no change at all. P.M.O.!! Took it to the trails anyways. Can you say UN-F'N-BEE-LEEV-ABLE! I knew a locker in this machine would make a difference, but this is crazy different! I headed straight to the part of the trail with the tightest turns and went through there with no issues, in fact, if you blip the throttle a bit, I think it'll turn even tighter. This section is all 1st gear stuff- it's tight, pivoting off trees tight.. Yes the steering is heavier- kinda sorta... I wasn't 'palming' it, now that I think about it..It crawled over all the new deadfall from the big wind storm we had a couple weeks ago with no issues- I mention that, because I didn't switch the suspension to 'articulation' mode, and left the shocks at maximum ground clearance to more closely mimic the stock suspension- stiff. So after going through the tight stuff, I headed to the first real hill climb. This hill is pretty steep, but I don't have to drop the front end every time to climb it, sometimes it will make it, but spinning the whole way up. *I do all my traction tests in 1st gear doing my best to maintain traction, not just plant the throttle and let it dig holes, or 'charge up' in 2nd using momentum* So I just turned up the hill, and simply drove up.. I do mean 'simply' drove up. It's like the hill lost 10degs. of slope. Didn't spin AT ALL. Now I'm thinkin' 'that's pretty cool'! So off to the steeper stuff. The next two hills require dropping the front end every time, and one usually requires me to drive up a bit, then back down to get a straight shot- it's in a tight ravine that requires turning into the hill, so normally I can't make it with out the lining up thing. Well, I just turned into the hill, and again, just drove up the damn hill! It didn't spin. Hill #3- this is the one where I did the video demonstrating the difference it makes to traction by dropping the front end down to climb the hill. Drove straight up- no spin- shocks pumped up, tires pumped up...ridiculous, right? I sat at the top of that hill thinking, what the hell is Honda thinking, not putting a locking front diff in this machine?!? I headed for a downed tree that gets me every time- It's about 50/50 shot that I'll be winching- there's a nice stump about 25' away that has plenty of cable scars on it... Drove right over it... turned around and drove over it again....crazy! So I headed to the last hill. This one's a 'white knuckler' cuz there's a big tree at the bottom with exposed roots that makes it impossible to get over when going back up, so I normally have to go up on the opposite side of the tree and then make a slight turn to get back on the trail, and then climb- often takes me several tries, and it's possible to get sideways, and slide onto that tree, and then it's winch time... There's some swampy stuff at the bottom too, so getting turned around requires some careful planning to avoid getting stuck. So I go down the hill into the ravine, I purposely just made a circle in the swampy stuff, and figured 'what the hell, I'll try going over the roots'. (I spent a good half hour trying to get over those roots the first time I went down into that ravine, trying to avoid the scary maneuvering thing on the other side- it just wouldn't go over. ) I drove up onto the roots, it scrambled a bit, and just kept going.... straight up the hill. The spool just turned my most challenging, close to home trail, into a beginner ride..
JWB

Sounds like it's unstoppable with front locked. Can't wait for the locker!

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
@JWB did your shifting problem start after the spool install or before ? I just wonder if it's not shifting because the drive train is loaded , not allowing it to shift ? Does it shift fine if you are going staight ? (not turning the wheel)
It was working fine this morning with the spool- I think I figured it out- I'll try it again tomorrow when I'm not in a hurry to go for a ride, and all thoughts of smashing it flat with a sledge hammer have passed....:oops:

JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like it's unstoppable with front locked. Can't wait for the locker!
I fully expected it to be way better over obstacles that lift one wheel, but I would have lost a bet for sure if I'd been told how much difference in just plain traction locking the front could make! I still can't get my head around the way it went up those hills....It just plain flattened em out. I was really proud of the difference in traction that the air suspension could make- it's a joke when compared to locking the front diff. Shifting into 4wd now, is like bolting on claws, or tracks maybe- straight up- no spin. Crazy.

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I got so excited reading this. I don’t think the spool is for me. I ride trails and work around the land. I am hoping the locker has the same results
It was working fine this morning with the spool- I think I figured it out- I'll try it again tomorrow when I'm not in a hurry to go for a ride, and all thoughts of smashing it flat with a sledge hammer have passed....:oops:
mine shifted harsh from brand new. There is some great info on adjustment on the forum. When I adjusted mine it shifted so much better. I did learn bolt only needs very small turn to make a huge difference.
Off topic adjusting the valve lash made huge difference in cold starts.

hondasrule

hondasrule

Feb 27, 2017
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
And now.... the review!
JWB

Thank you JWB for taking the time to test this out for us, I consider this successful testing and glowing review. For sure there is always a trade off on any modification and its almost impossible to change one thing and not negatively impact another. It mostly depends on what you like to do with the machine. For the rock crawler and mud bogger in us that wants to get through anything. I couldn't be more happy. this was a labor of love towards the Honda pioneer 500 and it shows how unstoppable this machine can be. Hopefully torque masters reads this and works hard to deliver us a superior product. I will toss my spool away if they pull it off... Until then My trail system opens may 1st and I will POWER through all of it and show the Polaris/Terex/Can-am, owners what we are capable of.
I will be working on some more spools of different designs and will eventually bring them to market so people can have few options depending on there riding styles. Hopefully you will see them in all out mud bog drag race championships.. If I can ever figure out how to adapt that turbo that will probly be me...

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Well written, thanks for taking the time to do all the work and a review so quickly. I wonder what kinda of stress the rack & pinion will see with a spool or a locker? I am curious if it will expose any failure points at some point? Does anyone know if this rack is also used in the 700 or any other machine with a lockable front diff?

Reactions: Bastardchild
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
Well written, thanks for taking the time to do all the work and a review so quickly. I wonder what kinda of stress the rack & pinion will see with a spool or a locker? I am curious if it will expose any failure points at some point? Does anyone know if this rack is also used in the 700 or any other machine with a lockable front diff?
The 700 uses the same steering gear box and rack as the P500, and thanks for the compliment on the review! I truly enjoyed doing the swap and the review. As soon as I get my hands on the Torqmasters locker, y'all will have another review to read! As far as a locker causing a failure, I suppose one could break something in the front end if not using common sense, due to the additional load that can be applied because of the increase in traction, but I don't think there will be any notable decrease in component life in general. I have almost 1600 miles on mine now, and I would say conservatively 95% of that has been in 4wd, and literally hundreds and hundreds of miles of that, climbing mountain trails at full throttle. When I took the diff apart, the gears, bearings, and seals were showing virtually no wear. In fact, I could barely see the wear pattern on the ring and pinion gears. Gotta keep in mind, the engine is only about 27 hp.. The P500's drivetrain really is over-built. My power steering unit might be a different story... I guess I'm gonna find out. I try to be careful about over stressing the unit. If I feel the steering get heavy, I don't just twist the wheel harder, and I always avoid holding the steering in the full lock position. Common sense can go a long way towards keeping parts in one piece!

Last edited:
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500
You remember the part in my review where I said I'm not going to try the snow plow? I just looked at the forecast, and they're calling for 5-8" of snow on Wed. So- If we do get more than 4", I guess I'll be doing the snow-plow test with the spool... I'm gonna pump all four tires up to max pressure first, and then hook up to the plow. Judging by the temperatures that the forecast is calling for, the snow is gonna be wet and heavy. Should be interesting....

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
You remember the part in my review where I said I'm not going to try the snow plow? I just looked at the forecast, and they're calling for 5-8" of snow on Wed. So- If we do get more than 4", I guess I'll be doing the snow-plow test with the spool... I'm gonna pump all four tires up to max pressure first, and then hook up to the plow. Judging by the temperatures that the forecast is calling for, the snow is gonna be wet and heavy. Should be interesting....

You must not be far from me. We have a similar forecast. I give my neighbor a 6 pack of blue ribbon and he plows my property when he does his.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!