P500 Who wants a diff. Lock ?

C

Chooglin

I have reread it several times also and I think I found a mistake in the math , but I am most likely wrong about that.

I am waiting for a reply from @hondasrule to see if I am as dumb as you two......lol

Reactions: Bastardchild
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have reread it several times also and I think I found a mistake in the math , but I am most likely wrong about that.

I am waiting for a reply from @hondasrule to see if I am as dumb as you two......lol
Im pretty sure you're smarter than me Choogs lol. We are both P5 owners though, so we have that going for us atleast.

Livinthelegend

Livinthelegend

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
Im pretty sure you're smarter than me Choogs lol. We are both P5 owners though, so we have that going for us atleast.

Off subject a bit, but how do you like your 700-4? Thinking about buying a 2nd Pioneer to carry family when they visit. I have found some great pricing on the 700-4 compared to jumping all the way to the 1000-5.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Off subject a bit, but how do you like your 700-4? Thinking about buying a 2nd Pioneer to carry family when they visit. I have found some great pricing on the 700-4 compared to jumping all the way to the 1000-5.
I have hardly set my butt in the seat of it. I rode in the back of it this past weekend when the tire popped off of the bead on my P5, and was pretty impressed by it. I did notice a few times with 4 people in it, it was struggling to go through some of the mud holes. I even got out a few times to lighten it up so it could get through. We have had no problems with it except for the exhaust muffler slips off of the header pipe now and then and i have to loosen the clamp, slide it back on, and tighten the clamp back. My wife drives the hell out of it. It lives in water and mud and never leaves her stranded. It needs lower gearing i think, but is pretty bulletproof. I have never heard my wife complain about anything about it.

C

Chooglin

I am going to go into geek mode temporarily , so please forgive me.

I am just trying to clear up any confusion !

I am posting this to help everyone understand how you calculate the number of rotations of a inside tire vs outside tire on a turning radius.
First you need to figure out the cercumference of the tire.
You take the tire diameter and multiply it by pi (pi=3.14)
26"x3.14=81.68

I used the center of the outside tire as my turning radius.

Now we will calculate the circumference of the turning radius of the outside tire (turning radius is 12.8' or 153.6")

1) Multiply the turning radius by 2 and that will give you the turning radius diameter.
153.6x2=307.2" (turning radius diameter)

2) Now multiply the turning radius diameter by pi
307.2x3.14=965.097" this is the cercumference of the outside turning radius.

Now we will figure out how many revolutions it will take to cover 965.097" with a tire that has a cercumference of 81.68 (26" diameter tire)

3) divide 965.097 by 81.68 and this will give you the revolutions of the outside tire if you make 1 full revolution (360* on a turning radius) 965.097/81.68=11.82

Now we will calculate the circumference of the turning radius of the inside tire.

We are going to use 42" width on the Pioneer 500 (this is the distance from the center of one tire to the center of the other tire !

1) Subtract 42" from the outside turning radius.
153.6"-42"=111.6"

2) now multiply that number by 2 and this will be your inside turning radius diameter.
111.6x2=223.2

3) Now multiply the turning radius diameter by pi
223.2x3.14=701.2" this is the cercumference of the inside turning radius.

Now we will figure out how many revolutions it will take to cover 701.2" with a tire that has a cercumference of 81.68 (26" diameter tire)

4) divide 701.2 by 81.68 and this will give you the revolutions of the inside tire if you make 1 full revolution (360* on a turning radius) 701.2/81.68=8.585

Now we have the revolutions of the outside tire (11.82) and the revolutions of the inside tire (8.585)

The difference in revolution from the outside tire vs inside tire is 3.235 turns !
11.82-8.585=3.235

Last edited by a moderator:
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

I am posting this to help everyone understand how you calculate the number of rotations of a inside tire vs outside tire on a turning radius.
26"x3.14=81.68

Now we will calculate the circumference of the turning radius of the outside tire (turning radius is 12.8' or 153.6")

1) Multiply the turning radius by 2 and that will give you the turning radius diameter.

Now we will figure out how many revolutions it will take to cover 965.097" with a tire that has a cercumference of 81.68 (26" diameter tire)

1) divide 965.097 by 81.68 and this will give you the revolutions of the outside tire if you make 1 full revolution (360* on a turning radius) 965.097/81.68=11.82

Now we will calculate the circumference of the turning radius of the inside tire.

We are going to use 42" width on the Pioneer 500 (this is the distance from the center of one tire to the center of the other tire !

153.6"-42"=111.6"

2) now multiply that number by 2 and this will be your inside turning radius diameter.
111.6x2=223.2

Now we will figure out how many revolutions it will take to cover 701.2" with a tire that has a cercumference of 81.68 (26" diameter tire)

3) divide 701.2 by 81.68 and this will give you the revolutions of the inside tire if you make 1 full revolution (360* on a turning radius) 701.2/81.68=8.585

Now we have the revolutions of the outside tire (11.82) and the revolutions of the inside tire (8.585)

The difference in revolution from the outside tire vs inside tire is 3.235 turns !
11.82-8.585=3.235
So what you're trying to say is that i was right.....you are smarter than me... lol

Reactions: mrjeff42
Wallace

Wallace

Well that didn't go as planned
Lifetime Member
Jun 28, 2017
Lonoke Arkansas
Ownership

1. 500
All that really translates into worn tires and broken parts. Imo. Count me out.

Last edited:
advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

26"x3.14=81.68

3) divide 965.097 by 81.68 and this will give you the revolutions of the outside tire if you make 1 full revolution (360* on a turning radius) 965.097/81.68=11.82

153.6"-42"=111.6"

111.6x2=223.2

4) divide 701.2 by 81.68 and this will give you the revolutions of the inside tire if you make 1 full revolution (360* on a turning radius) 701.2/81.68=8.585

11.82-8.585=3.235

So this is on a full circle turn, 360 deg right? 3 1/4 full revolutions more, that means one of the wheels would have to break traction in order to turn correct? Mud or snow wouldn't be a big deal but on hard pan or pavement, seems like it would put some stress on the front end too?
Didn't check your math but I understood it, was my favorite subject. Yesterday was pi day 3/14. ;)

C

Chooglin

So this is on a full circle turn, 360 deg right? 3 1/4 full revolutions more, that means one of the wheels would have to break traction in order to turn correct? Mud or snow wouldn't be a big deal but on hard pan or pavement, seems like it would put some stress on the front end too?
Didn't check your math but I understood it, was my favorite subject. Yesterday was pi day 3/14. ;)
That is correct , if one of the tires could not turn independent of the other!

I just found out today that yesterday was pi day...........I didn't even know there was such a day !

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ok guys, here is what I can tell you about the Torq-Locker from Torq masters.

First, they have finished there testing on 3D printed versions and are now in limited prodution. They well be sending out these preproduction versions to a select few (whom they all ready have picked...sorry guys) for testing and feedback. Depending on how long the testing takes and any fine tuning they may have to make they will then go into full production. All though they can not give me an actually date of release yet, I'm guesstimating by mid summer the locker should be available to the public. The locker for the P5 is not much different than the one for the can-am's so they are pretty confindent not much will need to be done after the testing is complete.

Hopefully this will help appease some of your minds...lol.
Still doesn't make it available any faster though...double lol!

Last edited:
G

Gassygordo

Oct 16, 2017
Fillmore, NY
Ownership

1. 500

First, they have finished there testing on 3D printed versions and are now in limited prodution. They well be sending out these preproduction versions to a select few for testing and feedback. Depending on how long the testing takes and any fine tuning they may have to make they will then go into full production. All though they can not give me an actually date of release yet, I'm guesstimating by mid summer the locker should be available to the public. The locker for the P5 is not much different than the one for the can-am's so they are pretty confindent not much will need to be done after the testing is complete.

I would love to be a tester being only fifty miles south of Rochester!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas

First, they have finished there testing on 3D printed versions and are now in limited prodution. They well be sending out these preproduction versions to a select few for testing and feedback. Depending on how long the testing takes and any fine tuning they may have to make they will then go into full production. All though they can not give me an actually date of release yet, I'm guesstimating by mid summer the locker should be available to the public. The locker for the P5 is not much different than the one for the can-am's so they are pretty confindent not much will need to be done after the testing is complete.

Just a question.....

Did you have to sign a NDA to get the tester locker? Are you going to be able to report your findings ASAP or are you not capable of that until said agreement (if one exists) is terminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just a question.....

Did you have to sign a NDA to get the tester locker? Are you going to be able to report your findings ASAP or are you not capable of that until said agreement (if one exists) is terminated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have an NDA with them till they tell me I can go public. But that means I’ll have install vid and test footage edited and ready to go!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!