BOX1

Future Who's ready for the 2018 HONDA TALON SPORT SxS?

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Polaris will be announcing a high end RZR 1000 on the 18th. Sure hope Honda announces soon. Looks like at least 2 versions for sure with one having longer travel. Can-Am did a good job with their Maverick Turbo and it makes the RZR models look obsolete. 4 of my buddies sold their RZR's and bought the Maverick. Outside of the Dune guys anything near 100 hp will be enough to have a good fun factor. Belt drive failure is still the biggest complaint for the sport models. Honda has the benefit of the Powersports and Automotive engineers so their sport models should be good and it appears price will be important too. Most can't afford $30 to $35 thousand and many parts of our country cant use high hp and super long travel. Its surprising all the high end sport models still come with a 3 point harness. Honda could have 4 seat and 2 seat models like the Teryx and it would take a little longer wheelbase but not as long as the RZR's. Polaris sold about 51,000 2015 Ranger 900's and I doubt sport models have sales near that. Sure anxious to replace my 2016 Yamaha YXZ with a new Honda Sport model. It has a high fun factor but only suitable for faster pace driving with the high gearing. Got 9,854 miles on it now with no major problems.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Polaris will be announcing a high end RZR 1000 on the 18th. Sure hope Honda announces soon. Looks like at least 2 versions for sure with one having longer travel. Can-Am did a good job with their Maverick Turbo and it makes the RZR models look obsolete. 4 of my buddies sold their RZR's and bought the Maverick. Outside of the Dune guys anything near 100 hp will be enough to have a good fun factor. Belt drive failure is still the biggest complaint for the sport models. Honda has the benefit of the Powersports and Automotive engineers so their sport models should be good and it appears price will be important too. Most can't afford $30 to $35 thousand and many parts of our country cant use high hp and super long travel. Its surprising all the high end sport models still come with a 3 point harness. Honda could have 4 seat and 2 seat models like the Teryx and it would take a little longer wheelbase but not as long as the RZR's. Polaris sold about 51,000 2015 Ranger 900's and I doubt sport models have sales near that. Sure anxious to replace my 2016 Yamaha YXZ with a new Honda Sport model. It has a high fun factor but only suitable for faster pace driving with the high gearing. Got 9,854 miles on it now with no major problems.

I'm with you. Having the long travel in a great handling / riding chassis that is comfortable is my priority over any turbo 140+ HPset up.

Gimme a 64" wide setup with 18" of travel and a 100ish HP should satisfy 80% of the trail riding market. Just make it comfortable and reliable, of which Honda typically excels at both.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
I thought today was the day new info might get released. Any news?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think the Polaris announcement pushed them back. But I'm not expecting anything anyways.

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
May 9th unofficially, just new colors or a new model for winter availability who knows.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Looking like we may see some 2018 SxS model info come Tuesday May 9th via dealer redline, however it does not appear there will be any new model announcements at that time.

Word is though for the 2018 Pioneer 1000 series, even if not indicated is the "fix" is in for keeping the DCT clutches cooler via increased oil flow and using more than one oil cooler feeding oil to the clutches than previous model years and the "seat heat" has been more adequately addressed. Honda has always been good at steadily improving their designs even if they don't advertise as such. Looking forward to actually finding out what has all been done. The in cab storage of the '17 LE's is a hit, hopefully continue that trend to even the deluxe models. Still like the true 4WD lock feature on standard and deluxe models, it has saved my bacon in a few spots with one front wheel in the air.

For now the only Honda Talon is a Honda powered Generator :confused::(
Talon Gen

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
So I wonder if there will be something to address previous year oil cooler issues. If not I'm sure some crafty individual here will come up with a DIY mod to increase oil flow/cooling. Thanks for the info as usual @JACKAL

Reactions: Tflynn
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looking like we may see some 2018 SxS model info come Tuesday May 9th via dealer redline, however it does not appear there will be any new model announcements at that time.

Word is though for the 2018 Pioneer 1000 series, even if not indicated is the "fix" is in for keeping the DCT clutches cooler via increased oil flow and using more than one oil cooler feeding oil to the clutches than previous model years and the "seat heat" has been more adequately addressed. Honda has always been good at steadily improving their designs even if they don't advertise as such. Looking forward to actually finding out what has all been done. The in cab storage of the '17 LE's is a hit, hopefully continue that trend to even the deluxe models. Still like the true 4WD lock feature on standard and deluxe models, it has saved my bacon in a few spots with one front wheel in the air.

For now the only Honda Talon is a Honda powered Generator :confused::(
View attachment 42748

So does this confirm it is a heat problem then? I know there had been some speculation before that it was heat breaking down the clutch binder rather than a pressure problem.

I am interested to see as well. I hope it is something that Honda will consider adding to existing customer's machines at no cost.

I like the extra on machine storage options from the 2017. As a matter of fact, I just got done ordering a underseat storage for my machine. They should look at adding storage to the tailgate as well as several other nooks and crannies. They should look at some of the Kymco ideas, they seem to leave no wasted space on their machines.

Anything about rerouting the clean air intake to somewhere less splash prone?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So does this confirm it is a heat problem then? I know there had been some speculation before that it was heat breaking down the clutch binder rather than a pressure problem.

I am interested to see as well. I hope it is something that Honda will consider adding to existing customer's machines at no cost.

I like the extra on machine storage options from the 2017. As a matter of fact, I just got done ordering a underseat storage for my machine. They should look at adding storage to the tailgate as well as several other nooks and crannies. They should look at some of the Kymco ideas, they seem to leave no wasted space on their machines.

I can't speak to what the changes confirm, or what all changes / updates are being made. The top two complaints and concerns to dealers has been engine heat in the seating areas and concerns about the early clutch failures on some units. For MY18 that has been addressed, how well it has been addressed we will have to see when unit's are in customers hands. As far as a retrofit kit for the 16/17 P1K's that's a definite maybe, just not sure when, how, or at what expense if any that it will occur.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS

Some say its heat some say pressure some say its electrical my dealers clam people are running in high when they should be in low so who knows what really causes it it's really hard to find a needle in a hay stack but atleast they are trying to solve it

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I have now given up all hope of buying one.
FB IMG 1494594815318

Reactions: ohanacreek
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!