P1000 Winch Not Working......Some of the Time

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured it out this morning. When I asked ya'll for help, I had sent old photos, had I sent updated ones maybe ya'll would have seen it, I sure didn't until I just went from one connection to another, using a volt meter and tracking it down. What it was, I had changed out my primary battery a couple months ago. After the change-out I hadn't used my winch at all so, I didn't know there was a problem. What my dumbass did was, I left the battery lead from my isolator to my secondary battery off, well, I put it in the wrong place. So what I had was one side of the isolator had the main battery one it and the other side of the isolator had only the winch lead on it. How I was getting any voltage at all on that one isolator post( the one to the winch) I have no idea.

Lessons learned: 1)I have such a mass of wires that it's a PIA to troubleshoot anything. Lesson, keep it simple, it works just as good and you don' have to tear your hair out fixing something. 2.) Take your time when you have a problem, focus on one thing at a time don't jump from one issue to another then back and forth. 3). When you can't figure it out, STOP, take a break, maybe work on it the next day, week, whatever, give it a rest. I did this this morning, I got up, went out, got my tools, within 10 minutes I found the issue and I had been dreading this problem for a month.

Anyway, fixed, thanks to ya'll for your help and advise.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured it out this morning. When I asked ya'll for help, I had sent old photos, had I sent updated ones maybe ya'll would have seen it, I sure didn't until I just went from one connection to another, using a volt meter and tracking it down. What it was, I had changed out my primary battery a couple months ago. After the change-out I hadn't used my winch at all so, I didn't know there was a problem. What my dumbass did was, I left the battery lead from my isolator to my secondary battery off, well, I put it in the wrong place. So what I had was one side of the isolator had the main battery one it and the other side of the isolator had only the winch lead on it. How I was getting any voltage at all on that one isolator post( the one to the winch) I have no idea.

Lessons learned: 1)I have such a mass of wires that it's a PIA to troubleshoot anything. Lesson, keep it simple, it works just as good and you don' have to tear your hair out fixing something. 2.) Take your time when you have a problem, focus on one thing at a time don't jump from one issue to another then back and forth. 3). When you can't figure it out, STOP, take a break, maybe work on it the next day, week, whatever, give it a rest. I did this this morning, I got up, went out, got my tools, within 10 minutes I found the issue and I had been dreading this problem for a month.

Anyway, fixed, thanks to ya'll for your help and advise.
Thanks for the update. Glade you figured it out. I despise electrical issues. 😬

Reactions: nitzo and Mudwing
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How I was getting any voltage at all on that one isolator post( the one to the winch) I have no idea.
You would with the machine running.... for about 10 seconds... just as you described.

This tells me your isolator is working fine. Lol.

Reactions: nitzo and Mudwing
R

rickoshea

this is what i do every time.before i start tearing into/throwing money at a problem,i take a break and let the program run in the background for a day or two.almost always a solution will present itself.

Reactions: wrhii and nitzo
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!