P1000 Winch Not Working......Some of the Time

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay ya'll another one of my questions. Most of you have seen my wiring set-up, pretty much the same as most dual battery ones, isolator, stinger, 100amp breaker, power to the winch is thru a 300a fuse then directly to battery. What its doing is, if I'm sitting at idle, both batteries tied together and hit the winch switch (the one on the dash) the winch will work for like 2 seconds and stop, this is without a load, I'll let off the switch for a second or two hit it again and it will go for another 2 seconds, almost like its reset or something then it will stop again. Now, if I push the throttle down, get the rpms up, it will pull and go all I want it to. What is taking place? Thanks

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know, BUT you only need to wire the winch STRAIGHT to be batteries.
I get that, but I'm kinda a freak about wiring direct to a battery ( I know starters wire that way, but), the "whole" fire deal scares me, I figured I could put a 300 amp fuse in and it won't blow cause of load, but if something really goes wrong it will protect the machine from burning down.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get that, but I'm kinda a freak about wiring direct to a battery ( I know starters wire that way, but), the "whole" fire deal scares me, I figured I could put a 300 amp fuse in and it won't blow cause of load, but if something really goes wrong it will protect the machine from burning down.
Do you have a Volt meter? Is the voltage in the command function of the winch contactor dropping much below 11 volts at idle, Voltage may not be enough to keep the magnetic coils holding and just drop back out to neutral. Most contactors are noisy, after the 2 second run, can you hear the contactor click back out?

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have a Volt meter? Is the voltage in the command function of the winch contactor dropping much below 11 volts at idle, Voltage may not be enough to keep the magnetic coils holding and just drop back out to neutral. Most contactors are noisy, after the 2 second run, can you hear the contactor click back out?

I can hear it run then just stop.........what you are saying seems just like what it might be doing......I have of those dual voltage gauges and when it does it the second battery voltage drops to zero for like a second.

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can you easily find the small red wire running to the contactor and move it to the primary battery for kicks. and see what it does. Supply 12+volts to the command coils of the contactor. If its doing what we r talking about then the winch should run as normal. If it does then the next question would WHY the secondary is dropping voltage

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post up a picture of your wiring again. I know I've seen it before, but I think something may be seriously wrong if the secondary battery is dropping to zero momentarily. Have you tried looking at the isolator when you start winching and see if it disconnects the battery if you do not throttle it up. Maybe a dead cell in your secondary battery.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Post up a picture of your wiring again. I know I've seen it before, but I think something may be seriously wrong if the secondary battery is dropping to zero momentarily. Have you tried looking at the isolator when you start winching and see if it disconnects the battery if you do not throttle it up. Maybe a dead cell in your secondary battery.

New battery's both of them.

FuseWire

wrhii

wrhii

Lifetime Member
Feb 22, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haven't put a secondary batt or the isolator on so I'm out, but keep us up to date as to what you guys find.

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like pictures were taken at different times? Is that clear plastic the inline 300A fuse? I am thinking it is the contactor needing 12v and it dropping below that on idle. I do not understand why it would drop that low tho with no load on it.

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, that is the fuse and it's #4cu wire so I'd think it's plenty big enough. I guess I'll make a new line directly from the winch to the battery and try that first. IDK.

Fuse

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Looks like pictures were taken at different times? Is that clear plastic the inline 300A fuse? I am thinking it is the contactor needing 12v and it dropping below that on idle. I do not understand why it would drop that low tho with no load on it.
The one I have will disengage around 8 volts.

Where are you getting key-on power?

Reactions: BBLASER
B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I honestly think the 300a fuse has nothing to do with it not working. I think it is all in your winch contactor. There is really no reason a solid state fuse would cause it not to work. The part about watching your voltmeter on the 2nd battery hitting 0 is what puzzles me.

Jgroesbeck

Jgroesbeck

Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2020
U.S.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had a problem with a winch on a quad once. It came down to a poor splice job into one of the accessory wires. It would intermittently work or not work. Once I traced it back to a poor splice job it's been all good.

Reactions: Mudder and nitzo
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I understand the concern about a direct battery short, so installed my 300amp switched breaker just outside the battery box, then directly to winch. Did that just to protect downstream run inside machine. Your organized wiring is something to be proud of.

Last edited:
Reactions: nitzo and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!