Winch on a Pioneer 1000-5

G

GeorgeB

Sep 23, 2022
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which way should a winch turn when you are pulling the cable/rope in?
If you are standing on the driver's side of the Pioneer and you look at the end of the winch, should it turn clockwise or counter-clockwise, when you winch the cable in?

Reactions: Buggyman
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It's all a preference. Also depends on where the fairlead is located, high or low to the winch so u can figure that out. In the middle well....

I see u just joined. Welcome from Michigan
We like Proof picks of the rig when u join. Preferably do an intro thread about yourself and the rig details, year, miles Etc.
Until then.....Pics Or It Didn't Happen!

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from OH! I have a 6k Viper2 (purchased from the club store) and have the lead coming from the bottom with the factory bumper. Reason is that when the lead came off the top it rubbed the winch cross member as it spooled. Coming from the bottom eliminates this but does make for a slightly sharper angle to the fairlead.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Which way should a winch turn when you are pulling the cable/rope in?
If you are standing on the driver's side of the Pioneer and you look at the end of the winch, should it turn clockwise or counter-clockwise, when you winch the cable in?
welcome from Ohio

Reactions: Rayger143
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Planetary gear winches are designed to work (pull) in one direction due to how it's internal brake holds. Spooling the line off and back on on the outside of the spool is a bad idea with most winches. You'll be fighting the brake when spooling in, and you lose the brake when holding.

Also, some manufacturers do NOT advise flipping thier winches upside down, period. Check with the winch manufacturer about your specific winch before respooling/reversing wires or mounting upside down.

Screenshot 20221001 080848

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
Planetary gear winches are designed to work (pull) in one direction due to how it's internal brake holds. Spooling the line off and back on on the outside of the spool is a bad idea with most winches. You'll be fighting the brake when spooling in, and you lose the brake when holding.

Also, some manufacturers do NOT advise flipping thier winches upside down, period. Check with the winch manufacturer about your specific winch before respooling/reversing wires or mounting upside down.

View attachment 356651
my superwinch is mounted upside down ( how it was when I bought buggy used) so the rope comes off the bottom and the manual states not to do that so I called customer service and they say it's ok on a sealed system winch like the terra45. no problems in 6 years. 🤞

Reactions: Rayger143
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
my superwinch is mounted upside down ( how it was when I bought buggy used) so the rope comes off the bottom and the manual states not to do that so I called customer service and they say it's ok on a sealed system winch like the terra45. no problems in 6 years. 🤞
As long as the mfg says it's OK, inverting the winch isn't a problem. The problem is spooling the line off the back on incorrectly if you're fighting the brake while winching and losing the brake when you stop.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!