Winch opinions

Huntnbuddy2

Huntnbuddy2

Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sand Mtn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know this has been discussed in several different threads and mostly about installing them. And I have looked at numerous threads on here prior to posting this.
I have the addiction to add a few things to add to the p1k3 and I am looking at winches. I noticed in the videos from the Takeover that most everyone had winches so I am wondering what you guys feel are the best winches for the money and why you feel that way. I have looked at Superwinch, Warn, Cabelas, KFI, Badlands and Kolpin. All seem similar with slight variances. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated and what options you find the most useful. Thanks n advance.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Vipermax 4500. Had mounted for 3 years, hardly touched it. Last week I used it all week.
Moto Alliance is a good company and has great costumer services.

SundayRdr

SundayRdr

Mar 1, 2016
McMinville Tn
I have a Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic n love it. A buddy has been a warn man until he bought his SW Terra 45. We rode and I had to be pulled by 2 winches. One was a buddies ebay extreme/viper 4500 n the other terra 45, the extreme/viper couldn't keep up with the terra 45. The viper/extreme was pulling the battery down and killing the razor while he was wincing also. I'm not dogging the ebay winch just stating the facts that I've seen first had. Any winch is absolutely better than no winch.
RuralKing is the best price I've found.
https://www.ruralking.com/superwinch-terra-45-synthetic-rope-12-volt-4500lb-winch-1145230.html

I would highly recommend a winch for sure and I recommend the terra 45 too..

IMG95201610089516085395106 20161008 161651

Huntnbuddy2

Huntnbuddy2

Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sand Mtn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a Superwinch Terra 45 synthetic n love it. A buddy has been a warn man until he bought his SW Terra 45. We rode and I had to be pulled by 2 winches. One was a buddies ebay extreme/viper 4500 n the other terra 45, the extreme/viper couldn't keep up with the terra 45. The viper/extreme was pulling the battery down and killing the razor while he was wincing also. I'm not dogging the ebay winch just stating the facts that I've seen first had. Any winch is absolutely better than no winch.
RuralKing is the best price I've found.
Superwinch Terra 45 Synthetic Rope 12 Volt 4500lb Winch 1145230 by Superwinch, Llc for $289.99 in ATV/UTV Winches - Winches - ATV/UTV : Rural King

I would highly recommend a winch for sure and I recommend the terra 45 too..

View attachment 45394 View attachment 45395

Thanks. Good info.

Huntnbuddy2

Huntnbuddy2

Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sand Mtn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Vipermax 4500. Had mounted for 3 years, hardly touched it. Last week I used it all week.
Moto Alliance is a good company and has great costumer services.

Thanks

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a warn vantage 4000s. It's always worked well for me. If I were winch shopping today I'd probably look real hard at the superwinch, tough to beat the price compared to the warn and everyone that has one seems to love it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's hard for me to stray away from Warn. The Pro4500 on the back of my 1000 has been on 4 different rigs over the years and just recently moved from the front and another was bought for the front.
For someone who doesn't use one much don't think it matters too much but IMO it's an emergency item for us.
Bottom line though anyone that rides trails especially alone needs a winch, any winch

Last edited:
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It's hard for me to stray away from Warn. The Pro4500 on the back of my 1000 has been on 4 different rigs over the years and just recently moved from the front and another was bought for the front.
For someone who doesn't use one much don't think it matters too much but IMO it's an emergency item for us.
Bottom line though anyone that rides trails especially alone needs a winch, any winch

"Any winch".......... that works!!!!!

Huntnbuddy2

Huntnbuddy2

Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sand Mtn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a warn vantage 4000s. It's always worked well for me. If I were winch shopping today I'd probably look real hard at the superwinch, tough to beat the price compared to the warn and everyone that has one seems to love it.
Thank you

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
"Any winch".......... that works!!!!!
That keeps working. I'd hate to "test" a winch, I just want to know 30 miles out with my family with no backup that we're getting home. Seems strange to me to worry about saving 200 on a safety item on a 15k rig. But some just won't use one very often, I get that so like I say any winch is better then none!

Last edited:
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That keeps working. I'd hate to "test" a winch, I just want to know 30 miles out with my family with no backup that we're getting home. Seems strange to me to worry about saving 200 on a safety item on a 15k rig. But some just won't use one very often so I get that so like I say any winch is better then none!

About as much sense as when people ask me to save them some money and use "Home Cheapo" paint

so they can try and save $300 on a $10,000 paint job!

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
About as much sense as when people ask me to save them some money and use "Home Cheapo" paint

so they can try and save $300 on a $10,000 paint job!
I guess I try to save too then because I keep reusing the same winch lol

Reactions: joeymt33
Huntnbuddy2

Huntnbuddy2

Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sand Mtn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I guess I try to save too then because I keep reusing the same winch lol

Wasn't necessarily looking for the cheapest. I WANT THE BEST VALUE. Warn may be the best value. I have never had a winch on my ATVs so I am looking to you experts. If I wanted cheapest I would go to the local cheap tool store and buy one or I would have bought a RZR. I like to save money as much as the next guy but I want Value. I am like CP I want to get home and not have to tell my wife to walk out and get help.LOL

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Wasn't necessarily looking for the cheapest. I WANT THE BEST VALUE. Warn may be the best value. I have never had a winch on my ATVs so I am looking to you experts. If I wanted cheapest I would go to the local cheap tool store and buy one or I would have bought a RZR. I like to save money as much as the next guy but I want Value. I am like CP I want to get home and not have to tell my wife to walk out and get help.LOL

I've got two warns here. I don't think I'll go back to anything different. I had a tractor supply winch on a 20' car hauler and it crapped out pretty quick.

It's now got a Badlands winch and it's seems ok for the past few months.

I also had a warn on my previous pioneer 700. No problems there.

My fathers pioneer has a superwinch terra 45. It's seems to do ok but it sounds like crap.

Last edited:
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing that sold me on the Superwinch was that it's actually waterproof and not just water resistant. Up to a meter submerged in stagnant conditions for up to a hour.
Other things were that the motor is clockable and both the motor and gears are larger than most other similar brands. Price is great. It fits on a KFI mount. Someone suggested earlier buying one with a steel cable and replace it with synthetic and save money. It's worth researching...would need to change Fairlead too.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!