Multi Winch Solenoids for Dummies

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I dusted off the box for a Champion 3000lb winch I bought with a trailer about two years ago over the weekend. I decided its never gonna pull me out of anywhere in the box, so I'm gonna slap it on the Pioneer 1k. Before we start: I know if I was buying a new one I should go heavier, and I know that I NEED a dual batter set up, etc etc. That is all well documented here and I do thank everyone for those tips.

What I am trying to do is set this thing up as cheaply as possibly. I don't typically get myself into situations I don't KNOW I can get through, so this is happening more out of sheer boredom and desire to get the thing out of my basement than it is out of any real anticipated need.

I have a Viper plate ordered from @Hondasxs (thanks for your help earlier), and I will likely order a switch to mount to the dash as well. Here's a link to the controller that the winch came with:

3000-lb. Winch Kit - Champion Power Equipment

I pulled apart the switch because its way too big and ugly to mount anywhere in the cab, and I don't want to tie it up under the hood. What I found inside was basically what looked like a solenoid, and it appears the two large buttons on the front hook each "side" together with the grounds in the middle to create power.

Based on this configuration, it seems like i should be able to re-use the "guts" of this box as a solenoid and wire a cheap rocker switch directly into it. Does that seem to hold weight?

Does the solenoid serve any other purpose than to connect the correct groupings of wires at the correct time? I have looked at some YouTube videos that suggest that there are coils or current regulators in them, but I have also read that's BS and some folks run a winch straight to a switch without a solenoid.

What say you?

PS: I'll try to snag a picture this evening of the opened "solenoid/switch".

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
My 3000 came without a solenoid, just a heavy duty switch... and I've used it to it's max, where it has stalled, and the smoke did not come out of the switch...

Reactions: dominator
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd scrap that stock switch setup. It looks like 12ga wires?
I think you will be better off buying and installing a legit winch contactor and some 6ga wires to the winch. Then run an off the shelf OTRATTW winch switch to the contactor.
Then when you decide to upgrade winches in the future, simply swap them with no added wiring.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ohhhh maybe it is just a heavy duty switch?

I think the wires are a lot healthier than 12 gauge (though i dont work a lot with wire).

I attached a couple of shots of the wires next to my factory battery wires- they appear/feel to be roughly the same size?
IMG 20190330 174310407
IMG 20190330 174317566
IMG 20190330 174320932
IMG 20190330 174350632
IMG 20190330 174410087

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd bet they are 10ga max. But hard to tell. Might be in the instruction manual.
You could wire that to a standard winch contactor underhood. Then use a reg rocker switch to manipulate the contactor.

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
06616303 4073 499A B267 8AFA9F367ACF
You need to get a proper winch solenoid. You’re right, that’s just a switch. Put it together and use for a switch to save money if you want. Zip tie it to the steering column or something. But spend a little bit to wire it up right and pat yourself on the back later. And for safety. ;)

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 119046 You need to get a proper winch solenoid. You’re right, that’s just a switch. Put it together and use for a switch to save money if you want. Zip tie it to the steering column or something. But spend a little bit to wire it up right and pat yourself on the back later. And for safety. ;)

So as I look at this more, it would appear some lower powered winches just don't come with solenoids. It seems like the only way to wire up a traditional switch though, so it looks like I'm going to have to go that route if I don't want that large, clunky set up (and the switches are fairly cheap).

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!