Winch use?

F

Falconfire

Jan 8, 2021
Pottsville
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please be gentle...inexperienced. I read dual battery comments regarding winch. Should a winch NOT be used routinely for things like dragging trees? I also read that transmission should be in neutral when using winch. Can anyone elaborate? Thx

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can drag trees. Not redwoods.

Warn winches say to never use your winch to tie down a vehicle in lieu of a strap. Sudden shock loading can irreparably damage the winch gears.

If the winch motor is to hot to hold your hand on, you need to let it cool, or you may permanently damage the motor. Warn winches can use their HUB which transmits to their app on your smartphone. It allows you to run the winch, monitor motor temperature, and battery voltage on the screen .

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

R

rickoshea

if you're winching something other than yourself it really doesn't help to have it neutral.if i'm pulling an object i have it in park with my foot on the brake,only if i have nothing to anchor to,which is my preferred meathod.a strap from the rear of the machine to a tree or another machine.i use my winch a lot and still running a single battery.i never use my winch line as a tow strap.

insanetreefrog

insanetreefrog

Nov 19, 2020
Lowell, AR
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think the "keep it in neutral" is a truck thing, where, if you put it in park and use the winch, there's a lot of pressure being put on the little pin that's holding it in park.

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!