BOX1

P1000m5 Windshield and Winch Recommendations

D

Doogy

Sep 10, 2017
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and plan on purchasing my first SXS this week. This site is great and I have used it extensively over the past couple of weeks for researching the Honda Pioneer lineup. I plan to purchase the 1000-5 LE & us it around our farm and for some trail riding with my wife and kids.

I have pretty much decided on the factory hard top (unless anyone has any strong objections); but I am on the fence about the factory windshield and winch. What are you thoughts on these vs some of the aftermarket products? Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory 2 piece and its ok...but if they had the super atv tip out when i bought mine.id have got it.
As far as winches go you can save money by going aftermarket as well. Lots are running superwinch 4500. I am using a quadboss 5000 with no issues so far.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the factory roof and the factory glass windshield. It doesn't get super hot around here for a long enough time so I like the glass. I went with the 4500# Provantage winch.

Good luck and let the fun begin!!!!!

D

Doogy

Sep 10, 2017
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory 2 piece and its ok...but if they had the super atv tip out when i bought mine.id have got it.
As far as winches go you can save money by going aftermarket as well. Lots are running superwinch 4500. I am using a quadboss 5000 with no issues so far.

Yeah, the Super ATV tip out is the one I've been leaning towards. I will probably go ahead and order it when I order my new ride this week. Thanks for the advise.

D

Doogy

Sep 10, 2017
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory roof and the factory glass windshield. It doesn't get super hot around here for a long enough time so I like the glass. I went with the 4500# Provantage winch.

Good luck and let the fun begin!!!!!

It definitely gets hot here so I think I'll go with the Super ATV. Can't wait to get my new ride. I know that we will all have a blast.

J

JTW

The SuperATV flip windshield is awesome!! They run sales occasionally... should be one coming up around thanksgiving. Also, the superwinch TERRA 45, the Terra series is the route to go in the superwinch brand. Keep an eye on Amazon and you'll find them on sale every so often. They're 229 now. I think I bought mine at 189 or so..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0034ZYE5U/?tag=sxsweb24-20

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
This is what I put on mine haven't had any problems been on there for a year-and-a-half .
KFI Products SE45 ATV Stealth Winch Kit - 4500 lb. Capacity

C

caozman

Jun 12, 2017
Hereford, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and plan on purchasing my first SXS this week. This site is great and I have used it extensively over the past couple of weeks for researching the Honda Pioneer lineup. I plan to purchase the 1000-5 LE & us it around our farm and for some trail riding with my wife and kids.

I have pretty much decided on the factory hard top (unless anyone has any strong objections); but I am on the fence about the factory windshield and winch. What are you thoughts on these vs some of the aftermarket products? Thanks in advance for everyone's assistance.

Check out the Super ATV two-piece windshield and roof. The roof is a heavy tint Lexan (or some such material) that has a tough scratch resistant coating and a UV coating that blocks the suns heat. You can gaze up through the top yet not get roasted. The windshield has the scratch resistant coating as well.

D

Doogy

Sep 10, 2017
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and pull the trigger in the 2017 or wait for the 2018. Any thoughts?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks for all the advice guys. I am trying to decide whether to go ahead and pull the trigger in the 2017 or wait for the 2018. Any thoughts?

Why wait?

A

AmosMoses

Aug 12, 2017
Callahan, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the factory roof, Super ATV Windshield (There is a coupon code on here for them), and the Super Winch Terra 45....Love all of them...

Reactions: JTW
GerryC

GerryC

Sep 6, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have a 1/4" tinted W/S for sustained temps above 50 degrees and have recently purchased a full Lexan W/S for the colder temps in MI. Both were purchased from SuperATV and both used the same simple installation system which can be swapped in five minutes if necessary. The hidden advantage of the 1/4 W/S is the reduction of dust sucked into the cabin. The downside with the Honda roof I had installed at purchase is that when it rains, water puddles on the roof and the first time you decelerate the water dumps on you and the dash. This obviously does not occur with the full W/S but the cabin dust problem returns since a vacuum is created. The roof is excellent. I also had a Warn 4500 winch w/remote installed at purchase.

D

Deanb

Mar 26, 2016
Stonyplain

Hello I have a pioneer 1000 5 deluxe

I bought the full glass windshield love it except for the heat in the summer and the backdraft. Beware of the weak clutch. I would hold off buying until Honda comes up with a fix other then that it's a great machine the dealers have not seen and problems with the i shift yet

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello I have a pioneer 1000 5 deluxe

I bought the full glass windshield love it except for the heat in the summer and the backdraft. Beware of the weak clutch. I would hold off buying until Honda comes up with a fix other then that it's a great machine the dealers have not seen and problems with the i shift yet

P1000 - VERIFIED - Official Pioneer 1000 Clutch Update!

This supposedly fixes everything but stupidity.

Reactions: lee and Landman
D

Doogy

Sep 10, 2017
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why wait?

Turns out that I couldn't. Ordered a 2017 last night. It will be here next week. I told them that I needed the 3 fixes done prior to pickup (water ingestion, clutch & and seat heat). This moved my priority to the front of the line with Honda. All the parts will come in with the machine and will be fixed free of charge.

R

RickM

Jan 19, 2017
Moved from Chelsea, AL, to Bigfork, MT
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Doogy,
Before buying test drive the unit you plan to buy for several miles. Then check all of the CV joints carefully for signs of leaks. In less than 250 miles I noticed that my rear CV was leaking from an obvious factory defect. My dealer said this was not covert by warranty.

Honda has some "product improvements" that you should check on. The ones I am aware of are the engine heat issues and clutches.

After you buy it take it straight to your local alignment shop. In less than 250 miles one of my front tires was over 50% worn. I carried to an automotive alignment shop and they put it on a machine. One side was out by 2" and the other side was out by 1" for a total of 3". The way it handled before the alignment was absolutely dangerous. It would roll into a turn first and then abruptly the opposite way, out of the turn. I've seen other forum members mention alignment as well.

One reason I purchased a Honda was their reputation for quality. Quite frankly I've been a little disappointed.
Rick

Doogy,

B

Reactions: Johnsee
D

Doogy

Sep 10, 2017
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doogy,
Before buying test drive the unit you plan to buy for several miles. Then check all of the CV joints carefully for signs of leaks. In less than 250 miles I noticed that my rear CV was leaking from an obvious factory defect. My dealer said this was not covert by warranty.

Honda has some "product improvements" that you should check on. The ones I am aware of are the engine heat issues and clutches.

After you buy it take it straight to your local alignment shop. In less than 250 miles one of my front tires was over 50% worn. I carried to an automotive alignment shop and they put it on a machine. One side was out by 2" and the other side was out by 1" for a total of 3". The way it handled before the alignment was absolutely dangerous. It would roll into a turn first and then abruptly the opposite way, out of the turn. I've seen other forum members mention alignment as well.

One reason I purchased a Honda was their reputation for quality. Quite frankly I've been a little disappointed.
Rick

Doogy,

B

Rick- Thanks for the detailed advice. I had to order a 2017 from the warehouse and it will be in next week. I told them I wouldn't take delivery without all the "product improvement" fixes done. Parts will be in with unit. I will definitely check the CV joints and the alignment first thing. I can't wait for it to come in; but I definitely want to make sure that it is everything it should be (especially given the cost of these).

I have already gained so much knowledge on this forum. It is a great resource. Thanks again for your advice.

Reactions: jawquin
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!