Windshield preference

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
Trying to decide on what kind of windshield to purchase for a new Talon 4X. Here is what I’m facing……
Plastic or Glass?
Full or half?
Vents or no vents?
Flip up or lay down?

I don’t plan on a lot of hard riding, this is going to be more of a pleasure riding machine but before I shell out $400.00 I wanted to get your opinion on what works a what doesn’t. I’m hoping to find practicality & style. All thoughts would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Trying to decide on what kind of windshield to purchase for a new Talon 4X. Here is what I’m facing……
Plastic or Glass?
Full or half?
Vents or no vents?
Flip up or lay down?

I don’t plan on a lot of hard riding, this is going to be more of a pleasure riding machine but before I shell out $400.00 I wanted to get your opinion on what works a what doesn’t. I’m hoping to find practicality & style. All thoughts would be deeply appreciated. Thanks!
I also have a X-4 and in the end decided on a Super ATV full glass with vents. Seeing as I had 8 months from the time I put my deposit down on it till it was finally delivered, my mind did change once or twice. I originally had the Super ATV flip up Plexi picked out, but after my experience with plexiglass golf cart windshields scratching, I changed my mind to glass. I have not used it in the dead of summer, but hopefully the bottom vents are enough to keep us cool.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
I went with the automotive glass windshield with hand operated windshield wiper and vents in the lower section made by EMP P/N-13966.
I've had the plastic ones before, PIA to clean and not scratch it. With mine now, Windex and a paper towel and I'm good to go.

lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
Here is a picture of it.
IMG 20211102 151533634

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
@SuperATV hardcoat flip-up would be my recommendation. I was leery to the plastic windshield at first as well when I was looking for one on the Pioneer. They are super tough and being able to flip the window up or down quickly while driving is great. I just put one on my R and I've had one on my Pioneer for 3 years now.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I actually have both the plastic flip up and the glass with vents/wiper of SuperAtv windshields. The quality of both has been great and @SuperATV had always been a help! After using both I would put it this way: ease of cleaning and visibility with the glass is much easier and much better view out of it. The vents work good when opened and help with heat. The flip up is great for its versatility but the break in the windshield is not at a good spot for my sitting position and height. Cleaning on the trail was also a pain compared to just reaching up and using the wiper. But I did use the different positions alot and the flip up windshield does a much better job of controlling the heat if it's summer time. Basically for me I would choose the glass over the flip up unless I was in the middle of the summer. My .02!)

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
@SuperATV hardcoat flip-up would be my recommendation. I was leery to the plastic windshield at first as well when I was looking for one on the Pioneer. They are super tough and being able to flip the window up or down quickly while driving is great. I just put one on my R and I've had one on my Pioneer for 3 years now.

View attachment 313228

View attachment 313229
I actually have both the plastic flip up and the glass with vents/wiper of SuperAtv windshields. The quality of both has been great and @SuperATV had always been a help! After using both I would put it this way: ease of cleaning and visibility with the glass is much easier and much better view out of it. The vents work good when opened and help with heat. The flip up is great for its versatility but the break in the windshield is not at a good spot for my sitting position and height. Cleaning on the trail was also a pain compared to just reaching up and using the wiper. But I did use the different positions alot and the flip up windshield does a much better job of controlling the heat if it's summer time. Basically for me I would choose the glass over the flip up unless I was in the middle of the summer. My .02!)
Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep this in mind when purchasing. 😁

Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
From reading all the different post, I guess there is not just one windshield that stands out more than the others. It’s personal preference. I like the idea of glass, but also like being able to flip it open has it’s advantages. Does anyone make a glass windshield that does both?

Reactions: toddvdh
Donzi18

Donzi18

Jan 6, 2022
Michigan
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. Talon X4 LV
That is the same windshield I have. I love it. Works great. I did put a bigger wiper on it to clean off more of the windshield.
When opening the vents, is there like a slide bar or do you have to remove the vent covers entirely?

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
this is the one i have had on my talon for couple years. works good and easy clean, the vents flip up and you just tighten knob to hold in place

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
From reading all the different post, I guess there is not just one windshield that stands out more than the others. It’s personal preference. I like the idea of glass, but also like being able to flip it open has it’s advantages. Does anyone make a glass windshield that does both?
The closest thing you will get is the fold down glass with vents from Rocky Mountain. A friend of mine has one and he LOVES it. If I hadn't just bought a new glass windshield right before this came out, I would definitely have on of theses. I think it is the best compromise

scottkooch

scottkooch

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 26, 2021
SO MN
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
When opening the vents, is there like a slide bar or do you have to remove the vent covers entirely?
Super AYV's has 2 set screws that you loosen and the vent slides over to open or close.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!