P500 Windshield preference?

Jkentj

Jkentj

Feb 18, 2017
Indiana
Ownership

1. 500
Which do you prefer...half or whole windshield? My P5 has a whole size Honda windshield that was in it when I purchased it. I initially like it because it blocked the cold air, but now I'm thinking that as it accumulates scratches and other abuse, I may not like looking thru it all the time.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Which do you prefer...half or whole windshield? My P5 has a whole size Honda windshield that was in it when I purchased it. I initially like it because it blocked the cold air, but now I'm thinking that as it accumulates scratches and other abuse, I may not like looking thru it all the time.
Sounds like it's not hardcoat windshield.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
If you switch get the 3 peace . Up when it is cold . Down when it's not . 200 with shipping on line .

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500

Right now I'm liking the half windshield. I built it myself. It was easy.

20170303 185752 resized

Bought the off-cut sheet of Lexan from the Plastic Shop. Bought four Honda ROPS clamps. The honda clamps are totally worth it. You can snap the windshield off or on in seconds. The lexan bends were done at a local metal fabricator shop who had a big sheet metal press. Attached the lexan to the clamps with stainless steel fasteners. It's half height so if it's raining, you'll get abit wet, but when hunting, and the machine is covered in mud, you can see over the top of the windshield. When going full speed, I just duck down afew inches and I'm out of the wind. When you make it yourself, you can get the height just right (use tape across the front pipes to visualize the top of your windshield). I figure I made the thing for half the price of store-bought. The ROPS clamps will go on the next piece of lexan when this one gets too beat up to see through!

I've been thinking of having a light aluminum full-height frame welded up and plunking in an actual piece of laminated glass. That way I can run a windshield wiper and it won't scratch. SUI (still under investigation).
My $0.02
Al

D

Devin

Feb 11, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Right now I'm liking the half windshield. I built it myself. It was easy.

View attachment 37440

Bought the off-cut sheet of Lexan from the Plastic Shop. Bought four Honda ROPS clamps. The honda clamps are totally worth it. You can snap the windshield off or on in seconds. The lexan bends were done at a local metal fabricator shop who had a big sheet metal press. Attached the lexan to the clamps with stainless steel fasteners. It's half height so if it's raining, you'll get abit wet, but when hunting, and the machine is covered in mud, you can see over the top of the windshield. When going full speed, I just duck down afew inches and I'm out of the wind. When you make it yourself, you can get the height just right (use tape across the front pipes to visualize the top of your windshield). I figure I made the thing for half the price of store-bought. The ROPS clamps will go on the next piece of lexan when this one gets too beat up to see through!

I've been thinking of having a light aluminum full-height frame welded up and plunking in an actual piece of laminated glass. That way I can run a windshield wiper and it won't scratch. SUI (still under investigation).
My $0.02
Al
I had one built for mine. I'll take some pictures in the morning.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jshell3
J

JTW

Does this windshield interfere with taking the hood off? If so, how much trouble is it ? Thanks!
Yes.. I didn't use the under hood as I had electrical there.. and the rear tool box.. it could have some longer bolts with wing nuts through the lower clamps and would be quick to remove.

Reactions: lonewolf
advertisement
AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Does this windshield interfere with taking the hood off? If so, how much trouble is it ? Thanks!
Sure. With the 4 Honda ROPS Clamps it takes about a minute or less to remove the windshield. I keep my recovery gear, battery booster and tire plugs under there so hopefully I don't need to get at it very often.
Al

Reactions: lonewolf
lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes.. I didn't use the under hood as I had electrical there.. and the rear tool box.. it could have some longer bolts with wing nuts through the lower clamps and would be quick to remove.
Many thanks! I probably would not utilize that area for storage either, and occupy electrical too.

Sure. With the 4 Honda ROPS Clamps it takes about a minute or less to remove the windshield. I keep my recovery gear, battery booster and tire plugs under there so hopefully I don't need to get at it very often.
Al

Thanks Air, quite a job you did on yours! Thinking I want a full windshield, for the brutal winters down here(lol), but also want the ability to let wind through in summer months.

Actually, speaking of the quick clamps, you gave me an idea, maybe have 2 windshields. A full one for the 2 months of winter we have, then a half windshield/deflector for the other 10 months. Might even take a dab at making the half windshield myself.

OP, you might consider possibly getting a half windshield/deflector, and swapping the full windshield, just for the coldest months, and run the half windshield otherwise......

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudder and JTW
J

JasonS

Jun 18, 2015
If you switch get the 3 peace . Up when it is cold . Down when it's not . 200 with shipping on line .
Hello! Can you post a link for this 3-piece for $200? Thx!!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Watch out for the Honda Signature line or Optical one, not hard coated as good as more expensive one. Thinking of adding a half with some Honda clamps next summer. Full OEM tilt is nice, but still could have used more air flow in 90 degree days. @KYhillbilly , hows the scratch resistance?, disclaimer on their website had me wondering..

“PLEASE READ: Upon receipt of your windshield and prior to removing the protective film
  • Inspect for any damages, including scratches protruding through the protective film
  • Ensure product satisfaction
  • Confirm correct fitment
Once protective film is removed, the windshield is no longer returnable or refundable.”

Reactions: rocmar
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I got the original Honda full windshield, but am now thinking of going to the half windshield. Unless the plastic is perfect you get a lot of glare.

Reactions: rocmar and Mudder
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Pmed489

Pmed489

Sep 29, 2017
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
just ordered the super atv full opening one on amazon for 349.00 no shipping cheaper than even using discount code from superatv. will be here in a week. hard coated version

Reactions: JTW
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Looking at @HUCK s link, wonder why is says below. Wonder whats different on front cage? Thought all were the same.
  • Will not fit the 2017 + Pioneer 500

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!