P700 Wiring Help for Newbie

R

Rerun7

Mar 19, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Ok, so got my new p700 and of course I have to add some stuff, haha.

I’m pretty handy at most things but I’m a total newbie when it comes to any type of wiring. I’ve been trying to read some of the threads here but I’m thoroughly confused. I wired the light bar and relay to my truck but that’s the extent of my knowledge.

Here’s what I plan on adding: winch, front light bar, rear light pods and voltmeter.

Could someone walk me through some of the basics of how to get all this wired up? Some of the questions I have:

Do I need to add a fuse box?

Can I wire all the switches to the same 12v key on wire? (Maybe with a subharness?). Or do I need to tap into multiple 12v wires for some of it (i.e. winch on one, lights on another)

Can the battery handle all this or do I need a 2nd battery?

Thanks in advance for the help. I’d rather DIY if I can vs paying a shop to do it.

Reactions: sharp
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Have you picked out your light bar yet? How many watts or amps?
It may require a relay and can work just like your truck did.
Rear light will most likely be a small draw and could run off just a fuse or even key on power if under 6 amps.
Winch and voltmeter are basically an irrilivant draw and can run off key on power without a fuse.

If that's all you want. That's all easy and you can do it.
No second battery needed for that.

For key on power. You can tap a wire. or buy a wire harness. I sell one here that is nice - KEY ON POWER Harness for Honda Pioneer 1000, 700, 500, and Talon 1000.

Post questions.

Reactions: sharp
R

Rerun7

Mar 19, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Haven’t picked out the light bar yet. Wasn’t sure if I needed to stay under a certain amount of amps, etc. I had planned on installing a relay with it.

I was looking at that harness but saw the 8A max. The switch I am using said 20A and since I’d end up with 3 switches and the voltmeter I assumed that was too much load for it.

That got me thinking about needing to possibly tap into multiple wires to keep a smaller load off any one fuse.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Your switch is rated for 20a max. It can handle that. Not that it requires that. The switch requires very little to work the lights.

Anywhere you tap for key-on power is limited to the 15a ACC circuit. This harness is also on the same 15A ACC circuit. I say 8 amps because you never want to push the limits. I may end up changing that to 15A as I have had several people ask this similar question.

Here is a example.
Switch 1 - Light bar - 20 amps - needs relay - so power through the switch will be under 1 amp.
Switch 2 - Rear lights, 36 watts = 3 amps. This can run off the wire harness shown.
Switch 3 - Winch
Spot 4 - volt meter Winch and volt combined will be under 1 amp.
So, that's 5 amps via the key on the system.
*** all rough examples.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Another reason I say 8 amps. is because the CIG socket is also on this same circuit. saying 8 amps leave 7 amps for its use.

R

Rerun7

Mar 19, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That’s helpful. The only amp ratings I saw on any of the accessories were what it will draw off the battery so I really wasn’t sure what the load on the switch would be.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
all depends if you use a relay.
The relay would handle the load, not the switch or key-on power circuit.

Reactions: Trueblood85
R

Rerun7

Mar 19, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are there relays that can take multiple accessories or is it always a 1 to 1 relationship?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Are there relays that can take multiple accessories or is it always a 1 to 1 relationship?
Idk.. I'm sure there is. Most likley just 2 relays in 1 box.

Most all are 1 to 1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!