Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A come along and a tree can get you there as well. Three or four "friends" could probably make it happen too. Can always unbolt the deck one board at a time and then they are super easy to flip over by yourself. Can pull the trailer up on solid blocking and climb underneath easy enough also. I've seen guys pull them up on their side against a curb with their truck. I have a neighbor that uses the curb as his jack stands to do his oil changes and such all the time. There are plenty of ways to get it done depending on the resources at hand. If you can safely get it flipped over or at least elevated & supported it does make it a much more pleasant job than just getting underneath of it.
Think the 4500 Warn would kork if I butted my S x S up to a tree? and anchor with a chain?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
A come along and a tree can get you there as well. Three or four "friends" could probably make it happen too. Can always unbolt the deck one board at a time and then they are super easy to flip over by yourself. Can pull the trailer up on solid blocking and climb underneath easy enough also. I've seen guys pull them up on their side against a curb with their truck. I have a neighbor that uses the curb as his jack stands to do his oil changes and such all the time. There are plenty of ways to get it done depending on the resources at hand. If you can safely get it flipped over or at least elevated & supported it does make it a much more pleasant job than just getting underneath of it.
A lot of great (and helpful) ideas there JB!!!!;)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think the 4500 Warn would kork if I butted my S x S up to a tree? and anchor with a chain?

I've seen crazier things for sure. Personally I wouldn't climb under it only supported on the winch line, but I've seen people do plenty of dumb things and survive.

S

swampsnake

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2017
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
My goodness.. This is another reason this site is the best on the web! Ya post a problem & others do the thinking for ya! lol just kidding Jeremie. Thanks for the ideas.. a couple of those will actually work!

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use used tractor oil for the trailer and the bridges we build for the atv club, we get it free from one of the farmers, sometimes there is some hydraulic in there too. we used rough cut hard wood paint the underside with it with big roller and then the top, its not slick even raining on it if its a rough finish board. the only thing that would be if you were using something like a finish deck board

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I started spraying a mixture of used motor oil and diesel when my new boards (treated) were 3 months old. I have treated several times since then (about every 8 months).
Now, its been 4 years and 3 boards have rotted while the others look good. I want something that will be there from now on.
I might go back with oak or cypress.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I started spraying a mixture of used motor oil and diesel when my new boards (treated) were 3 months old. I have treated several times since then (about every 8 months).
Now, its been 4 years and 3 boards have rotted while the others look good. I want something that will be there from now on.
I might go back with oak or cypress.
Rough sawn Oak is what I finally replaced one of my trailer floors with, it’s been 8 years now and no rotted boards. Cypress, would be awesome but I don’t have access to that.

Reactions: R-Lamm
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
we don't use diesel that might be a difference, we put 2 two or three coats on the first year and that's it. we have a couple we built the first year this way ten years ago and just a few boards need to be replaced this year. ten years of being driven over by quads. what you buy probably makes a difference, these are hard wood bought from a mill, weigh about twice as much as a similar pine stud from HD. they are not a terrible lot more they are worth lasting

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rough sawn Oak is what I finally replaced one of my trailer floors with, it’s been 8 years now and no rotted boards. Cypress, would be awesome but I don’t have access to that.

I dropped in some extra bracing and replaced the deck on mine with expanded metal. I waste a good amount of paint spraying it every 4 or 5 years, but I'm pretty sure it will last me forever. It has probably been like that for a good 15 or more years now.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I dropped in some extra bracing and replaced the deck on mine with expanded metal. I waste a good amount of paint spraying it every 4 or 5 years, but I'm pretty sure it will last me forever. It has probably been like that for a good 15 or more years now.
Well sure, I agree that (provided it’s a heavy enough gauge) expanded metal is superior.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
For those considering expanded metal trailers, bought in 1997, repainted after 18 years. Just laid 2x6s on wheel tracks If hauling tractor, plywood or tarp to haul mulch. Expanded metal allows mud to fall thru. Spray painted with 1 gal. Kylon top and bottom with pressure pot and sprayer from Harbor Freight. Just drop gallon can in pot, use also for deck spraying. Been handy.
D8B4B7A9 32D4 415B BC35 80A2C2AB1973

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I use water Thompson seal when I spray my decks I spray my trailer. I buy a 5 gal can.

Reactions: Montecresto
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Spray it with LineX, problem solved and you won't slip when it wet or frosty.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just buy all aluminum trailers and then now worries.

Look at EBY, Alumilite, Aluma or some of the others.
Well, that would be great from the beginning, but over the years I’ve accumulated 7 trailers. For now, I’ll have to keep those wooden decks in good shape. ;)

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well, that would be great from the beginning, but over the years I’ve accumulated 7 trailers. For now, I’ll have to keep those wooden decks in good shape. ;)

There is an aluminum extrusion company 30 miles from here. They extrude stadium benches/bleachers. I think those might do good.
I will see if I can get just enough to do my trailer. (They want to sell a hundred tons at a time)

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There is an aluminum extrusion company 30 miles from here. They extrude stadium benches/bleachers. I think those might do good.
I will see if I can get just enough to do my trailer. (They want to sell a hundred tons at a time)
Hmm....that’s not a bad idea at all (depending on how many monies) and do you think it would work on a trailer with two 5,000 lb axels that I carry a 55 hp tractor on or 12,000 lbs. of hay at a time?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!