Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
My trailer bed needs some attention, my trailer is three years old and the protection is fading. I've talked to some people, some use, used motor oil, others use new 46 weight hydraulic mixed with kerosine, others paint and it goes on from there, what do you guys/gals use?

Reactions: TimG and swampsnake
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
My trailer bed needs some attention, my trailer is three years old and the protection is fading. I've talked to some people, some use, used motor oil, others use new 46 weight hydraulic mixed with kerosine, others paint and it goes on from there, what do you guys/gals use?
Used motor oil mixed with diesel.....

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I park a SxS over it.

Is cresote (like railroad ties) available to the public? I know it's toxic.

I wonder if that composite deck stuff could be used as a replacement.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I park a SxS over it.

Is cresote (like railroad ties) available to the public? I know it's toxic.

I wonder if that composite deck stuff could be used as a replacement.
It probably would work great. My bed is good, just need to treat it, I have done some reading, most people tip there trailer, power wash it, let it dry then use a sprayer for the bottom and a roller for the top

TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I'd slip and hurt myself if I put used oil on my trailer floor. I used some good outdoor paint we had left over from our propane tank. I hated to see it go to waste when it could be used and save me money.

Reactions: JTW and Smitty335
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just got finished replacing the deck boards on my trailer with pressure treated 2x6x12's. I let it sit out for a few months before staining it with this stuff last week. It says it is good for 4 years on a deck.

Olympic WaterGuard 1 gal. Woodland Cedar Semi-Transparent Wood Stain and Sealer-55177-01 - The Home Depot

I used this on my larger trailer last year... they can mix custom colors if you want. It still looks good this year, so I am keeping an eye on it for longevity.

BEHR Premium DeckOver 1 gal. #PFC-65 Flat Top Solid Color Exterior Wood and Concrete Coating-500001 - The Home Depot

FredD

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG and TheHoover
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Our trailers look the best under the belly of the tractors. The hydraulic oil has preserved that part of the trailer where the other wood has needed replacing. I would use hydraulic oil if im protecting a trailer.

I once tried using herculiner on a 4x8 wooden trailer when I replaced the deck. It rotted in three years from underneath and you couldn’t tell it from looking at the top. And that was pressure treated wood of coarse. It’s like it couldn’t breath and stayed wet always.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If you dont treat the under side of the boards your not doing much good. I use a cheap pump up sprayer and use some type of water seal.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'd slip and hurt myself
If the wood is old and weathered, cracked and rough for use, the mixture soaks in, and if left alone for a day will not be slippery. I would not apply this mixture to new tight grained wood.

S

swampsnake

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2017
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I recently bought a T T trailer & used straight diesel fuel. Just havta do it on land you dont want to use. Now I've got to figure out how to do the underneath..lol

Reactions: TimG
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recently bought a T T trailer & used straight diesel fuel. Just havta do it on land you dont want to use. Now I've got to figure out how to do the underneath..lol

We lay out 4x4 or 4x6's and flip the trailer over sideways. Loader on the tractor does the heavy lifting in the process for us though.

Reactions: swampsnake and TimG
S

swampsnake

Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2017
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Umm.. yeah, a tractor or front loader would make lifting a 6 x 12 a heck of alot ez'r to put it" lightly!" But, unfortunately those are not on my buy list as of yet.. maybe they need to be..

Reactions: Montecresto
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Umm.. yeah, a tractor or front loader would make lifting a 6 x 12 a heck of alot ez'r to put it" lightly!" But, unfortunately those are not on my buy list as of yet.. maybe they need to be..

A come along and a tree can get you there as well. Three or four "friends" could probably make it happen too. Can always unbolt the deck one board at a time and then they are super easy to flip over by yourself. Can pull the trailer up on solid blocking and climb underneath easy enough also. I've seen guys pull them up on their side against a curb with their truck. I have a neighbor that uses the curb as his jack stands to do his oil changes and such all the time. There are plenty of ways to get it done depending on the resources at hand. If you can safely get it flipped over or at least elevated & supported it does make it a much more pleasant job than just getting underneath of it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!