NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Saw this rattlesnake today at work , he was upset and rattling View attachment 154458we are pulling wire this week. It's hot as crap down hereView attachment 154459here's a pic of it coming off the reelsView attachment 154460 we just changed reels here's how we put it together to continue pulling . Later it will be sleeved and put together with a 60 ton press.View attachment 154462
At the risk of asking a dumb question .... why does it not just get sleeved and put together for the long term there on the ground as it is being installed? My only guess is that the pulling has to pass through pulley's or such that the size of the sleeve would interfere with.

Interesting stuff though regardless.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
The lines turn at hard angles periodically. The sleeves do not flex . Plus the wire has to be sagged according to what temperature it is when you pull it , length of spans , weight of wire etc. We sag it with special dynos this particular wire will sag at 6500 lbs. You have to wait till all conductors are pulled to do it or you will make your poles lean. I will try to remember and get a picture of an angle turn tomorrow

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The lines turn at hard angles periodically. The sleeves do not flex . Plus the wire has to be sagged according to what temperature it is when you pull it , length of spans , weight of wire etc. We sag it with special dynos this particular wire will sag at 6500 lbs. You have to wait till all conductors are pulled to do it or you will make you poles crooked.
No one wants a crooked pole!

That makes sense. One of those things I've never thought about.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Fundamentals are the crutch for the talentless.
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Saw this rattlesnake today at work , he was upset and rattling View attachment 154458we are pulling wire this week. It's hot as crap down hereView attachment 154459here's a pic of it coming off the reelsView attachment 154460 we just changed reels here's how we put it together to continue pulling . Later it will be sleeved and put together with a 60 ton press.View attachment 154462
Are you working in Texas? I've been seeing several Pike trucks/crews lately.

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Out of curiosity, I see what looks like...for lack of a better term, a tennis racket shaped wire guide/caddy that appears to make the line do a simple 360 loop. These are in between polls and pretty common. Just curious what it is? May not even be power lines.
If these are what you are referring to, they are known as snowshoes. They are placed on overhead fiber optic cables for future slack or splicing. Generally they are the lowest of all lines since they carry no voltage.

B8ykz63CAAAt9q8

Hondoman

Hondoman

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2017
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spent 32+yrs with LSP Troop L, and retired as Shift Lt. 15 yrs ago. After a couple of yrs of retirement, I started working 8-12 weeks per year on Turnarounds, operating a tractor hauling exchangers in the refineries to make my 'play money'. About 4 yrs ago I also started doing a little work with compact track loader/brush cutter when convenient. At this time the TL250/Vail brushcutter business is picked up enough I really don't care to go back on the Turnarounds ...... lol.

We had the old red/white units when I started in '71, with the old light blue/dark blue uniforms like this ......
View attachment 153613

then the white units ......
View attachment 153614

then dark blue units with dark blue uniforms .....
View attachment 153615

Then back to white units ....
Louisiana State Trooper cruiser

Now they have these .......
View attachment 153616
View attachment 153617

Just for laughs .....

On the Turnarounds normally I operated one of these small 70HP JD, on this one in Texas City, I ran the 225HP JD with cab. That was great since most days it was cold, windy, and raining!
View attachment 153618

Now, most of my 'play money' comes from this Takeuchi TL250, with either Vail brushcutter, grapple rake, or bucket.
View attachment 153619
View attachment 153620
View attachment 153621
Thank you for your service. Peace officers dont get the respect they deserve these days sadly.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
At the risk of asking a dumb question .... why does it not just get sleeved and put together for the long term there on the ground as it is being installed? My only guess is that the pulling has to pass through pulley's or such that the size of the sleeve would interfere with.

Interesting stuff though regardless.

I asked the Edison guys long ago why there isn't a protective coating on high power lines, like they put on residential Romex wire, to eliminate the risk of contact electrocution? He said it would make the lines far too heavy. Interesting stuff for sure.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ya know...why does Nissan have so much trouble with catalytic converters, power distribution centers, and hood props? You'd think that last one would be easy for a company that mostly specializes in millions of tiny brackets?

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Been side lined a couple of weeks after the vet patched me up so just now catching up on my favorite subject, honda SXS's.

I am a contractor. I have done a lot of engineering and design work in the automotive plastics world but most recently been developing new assembly lines for a hydrogen fuel cell. They are building these to replace old batteries in fork lifts. My work in 3D, for this line, is coming to life now. Cranes and tables are being built and shipped for a November start up.

2019 assy line

Last edited:
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I work in the oil field I'm a mud engineer/consultant. I live for 2 weeks on the rig then get 2 weeks off. I have my own trailer and I am responsible for the mud used to drill with and everything that has to do with it like order chemicals, cost, and so on. I work 24hr service/one man show but I like it that way. That way its all on me and I don't have to worry about someone else doing something wrong while I'm sleeping. I have been doing this job for about 12 years and till love it.I have worked in the Gulf of Mexico, TX, AR, LA, OK, AK love getting to travel and meet people. I took the head job one time as Company Man and it sucked. Some pics are of the drive. I drive 10hr to work so to me its part of the job I even love the drive. I get to see how great God is with his works of art. Live in MS drive to OKC.

Bought me a 92 GT to drive to work (Just what I wanted) 700miles 23mpg. (Pic is in OK)
IMG 3818

MS Bridge
IMG 3294

IMG 3296

Pick of me driving up to the rig
IMG 1790

Went for a walk and took this one.
IMG 1789

Pic of my lab in my trailer
IMG 3837 1

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!