Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well of course they didn't finish it today, and 9f course they aren't open Monday 🙄
Dude, I’d take a serious look into having them swap that thing with another. I know you don’t want to do all of the electrical again but a piece of mind is worth something. You should be on their doorstep jumping up and down already.

Reactions: Mudwing
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Dude, I’d take a serious look into having them swap that thing with another. I know you don’t want to do all of the electrical again but a piece of mind is worth something. You should be on their doorstep jumping up and down already.

I'm trying to give them a fair shot at doing the repair. They took a ridiculous amount of time to fix the I4WD, but they only started the sub trans about a week ago.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm trying to give them a fair shot at doing the repair. They took a ridiculous amount of time to fix the I4WD, but they only started the sub trans about a week ago.
As long as they are trying to do what’s right and fix it, I can understand being patient. Sucks that it’s had multiple problems. Might be a better machine than you thought when it’s all fixed and you get to try it out in perfect working order. Good luck

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Well about 3 months ago, It started doing this again. About 500 miles.

I was VERY careful to make sure I was stopped and the dash showed I was in L. It made the grinding noise while the L was lit up, did it 3 times and then started popping out of low.

I had installed a @PaulF shift gate almost immediately after the first repair.

Some times it would flat out not go into low, I would have to cycle the shifter from reverse to low and high to low. But still would not go in.

I was so frustrated that I parked it and it's been sitting since. I felt that if I took it to the dealer that I would have came unglued on them.

I'm planning on taking it in next week. I'm going to fight for a refund, I have no interest in one of these machines at this point.

I haven't been on any forums since then either. Has this turned out to be a prominent issue or am I the only lucky one?

• Sad
Reactions: CID
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well about 3 months ago, It started doing this again. About 500 miles.

I was VERY careful to make sure I was stopped and the dash showed I was in L. It made the grinding noise while the L was lit up, did it 3 times and then started popping out of low.

I had installed a @PaulF shift gate almost immediately after the first repair.

Some times it would flat out not go into low, I would have to cycle the shifter from reverse to low and high to low. But still would not go in.

I was so frustrated that I parked it and it's been sitting since. I felt that if I took it to the dealer that I would have came unglued on them.

I'm planning on taking it in next week. I'm going to fight for a refund, I have no interest in one of these machines at this point.

I haven't been on any forums since then either. Has this turned out to be a prominent issue or am I the only lucky one?
This Talon must have been manufactured on a Tuesday after a three day weekend. 🤔

H

HondaTech

We've been adjusting all the new machines that leave to have more freeplay towards reverse then towards high. I havent had any complaints of any unit we've sold after we implemented this procedure. I do have a couple in right now for sub trans issues. One we sold a long time ago and one that has reverse problems that we didn't sell.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The damaged sub trans low gear set should look like this when it jumps out of gear. When the gear dogs get rounded out it won't stay in gear. This damaged low gear set is from my Pioneer 1000. I got pissed trying to pull 8,000 pounds stuck in the snow. I tried to jerk it a few times and it went BANG as it jumped out of low gear. We dug it out and I towed it out in high range. I replaced both high and low range gear sets and both shift forks even though High range and the shift forks looked ok. We have 12 Talons in our riding group and no one has had any problems. Everyone has had the shift bang but they all know how to avoid that now. If it doesn't want to shift into low especially when cold we roll it forward in drive a few inches then the gear dogs line up ok to go into low. I have 15,000 miles on my 2019 Talon and nothing broke, got 1,400 on my 2020 Talon. It really sucks when you are having problems like this. Your dealer needs to replace the low gear set and the shift fork. I hope you get your money back.

Lowrange

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Just dropped it off, he started to insinuate that I wasnt shifting at a complete stop. 🙄

Said they have had zero sub trans issues since mine.

How many others are out there?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
With a properly adjusted cable and zero bangs on the sub trans there is almost zero issues. Most that have had an issue have had a user error/lack of adjustment at some point in the equation. I am not saying that you have just giving you the majority of it! I really do hope they get you fixed up. These Talons really are a lot of fun and can take a lot of hard riding!!

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I don't know what to tell you, I'm an equipment operator by trade, I get paid pretty good money to run difficult machines. Not trying to boast, but just an example that I'm not some idiot.

I even installed a PaulF shift gate right after I got the machine back from honda.

I'm thinking there has to be some strange issue. Each time it ground it actually lit up the L, so something is off.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
That stinks! It sounds like there is something else going on. Hopefully they get you taken care of! Like I said these are tough, fun machines overall!

I can't remember completely but didn't you say at one point that your machine was brand new but had miles on it when you picked it up? If that was the case wonder if there's something that happened in that time frame that somebody did.....

Z

Zwyken

Nov 9, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
I know this thread is almost a year old but this problem is happening more and more. Those that say it's operator error are accusing a lot of experienced riders of not knowing how to shift and it's wrong. This is my third machine over almost 12 years and I love my Honda but the Sub-transmission has flaws and weak points.

Reactions: Montecresto
Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
Most of it is due to lack of adjusting the cable properly and when you should adjust the cable. A cable will have its most stretch in the beginning and need less after that. I adjusted mine in the first 100 miles and again in the next few hundred. A shift gate that has more throw at the bottom will help with that also. So people that have not done that, like the manual tells you too, or that refuse to do that are at fault! Lots of people here with lots of trouble free miles on there Talons. I have around 2000 on mine. The sub does not go out when it is taken care of!

Z

Zwyken

Nov 9, 2019
Ownership

1. Talon X
Most of it is due to lack of adjusting the cable properly and when you should adjust the cable. A cable will have its most stretch in the beginning and need less after that. I adjusted mine in the first 100 miles and again in the next few hundred. A shift gate that has more throw at the bottom will help with that also. So people that have not done that, like the manual tells you too, or that refuse to do that are at fault! Lots of people here with lots of trouble free miles on there Talons. I have around 2000 on mine. The sub does not go out when it is taken care of!
How does one judge someone they don't know? This is my 3rd SXS and I'm really into maintenance. I have adjusted mine 3 different times and added the CA shift gate. You say to do it as the manual says but my manual says to check it at 100 miles and 3600 miles. My subtransmission is failing and I've inspected/adjusted 3 times the amount in my manual. Talons forums have a lot of these failures so I'm not sure its correct to judge what you don't know.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4

Not sure why I came back in here, as I sold the talon almost a year ago, but seems like this place hasn't changed.

Mine had the issue on the first trip, well under 100 miles.

The dealer adjusted the cable, but it was too late.

It did it after they replaced the damaged parts and I used the "fix" shift gate and me being scared to death to break my brand new toy with 300 miles on it. It did it with the L light up on the dash.

Unlike maybe some others, I was using low all the time, plus with a 4 seater, lots of 3 point turns. Someone who hops in and drives through the desert may shift into low a few times a day, where I was doing it dozens and dozens of times. Miles aren't everything.

I have to wonder if the issue is more common with the 4 seats as the cable is much longer and will stretch more. I got my x4 right when they came out.

But like many on here, Honda is too arrogant to believe that there is a problem beyond operator error. I thought sxs's and especially Hondas were supposed to be idiot proof like the old ranchers and big reds? To drive a talon you apparently need to have special training.....

I guess it's no wonder as bad ass as the talon is on paper, that you never see them out on the trail.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not sure why I came back in here, as I sold the talon almost a year ago, but seems like this place hasn't changed.

Mine had the issue on the first trip, well under 100 miles.

The dealer adjusted the cable, but it was too late.

It did it after they replaced the damaged parts and I used the "fix" shift gate and me being scared to death to break my brand new toy with 300 miles on it. It did it with the L light up on the dash.

Unlike maybe some others, I was using low all the time, plus with a 4 seater, lots of 3 point turns. Someone who hops in and drives through the desert may shift into low a few times a day, where I was doing it dozens and dozens of times. Miles aren't everything.

I have to wonder if the issue is more common with the 4 seats as the cable is much longer and will stretch more. I got my x4 right when they came out.

But like many on here, Honda is too arrogant to believe that there is a problem beyond operator error. I thought sxs's and especially Hondas were supposed to be idiot proof like the old ranchers and big reds? To drive a talon you apparently need to have special training.....

I guess it's no wonder as bad ass as the talon is on paper, that you never see them out on the trail.
What'd you replace it with?

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but after us 700 owners have been dreaming of a low range for years, I wonder if maybe we're better off without it, as it seems a sore spot for modern Hondas.

It seems like the majority of them have no issues (and I DO see plenty on the trails), but what you've seen above (user error) seems to be the go-to excuse. I will say this: if your design requires the cable to be adjusted with laser like precision to keep from damaging itself, it needs redesigning.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!