P1000 Yet Another True Isolator Question

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I went out and tried to start the Pioneer this morning and it wouldn't start. I hooked up the charger, put it on trickle, it sensed the right kind of battery and started charging. Now my question, while its charging the blue light on the isolator is on. Whats going on? I know this has been hashed over and over, but I still don't completely understand how the isolator works, not just in charging but also in normal operation. Can someone please explain it to me in rather easy terms.

Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
The isolator is just a bridge for joining the connection. If the blue light is on they are linked.

The blue light comes on when one [either] of the batteries reaches above 12.8 volts. When both batteries fall below 12.8v it shuts off.

Now that the light is on. You are now charging both batteries.

If you want to charge just 1, you need to disable the isolator. There are 3 ways to do this.

- Disconnect one of the main lines.
- Disconnect small ground wire.
- Trigger the positive cutout connector.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Why would I want to do this? What would the benefits be?
The benefit to the battery isolator is that You always have a full charged battery as long as both batteries are healthy, You want to run all accessories off of Aux. Battery and leave original battery stock (no accessories) then when You run Your accessories it will pull from aux. Battery and not draw any power from start battery, when you charge it will charge both batteries ,,,

JiminAZ

JiminAZ

Lifetime Member
Sep 28, 2019
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some might want to charge just one in order to test a suspect battery or run a battery through a recondition/desulfonation cycle (using an external charger).

Reactions: farmtimpioneer
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The benefit to the battery isolator is that You always have a full charged battery as long as both batteries are healthy, You want to run all accessories off of Aux. Battery and leave original battery stock (no accessories) then when You run Your accessories it will pull from aux. Battery and not draw any power from start battery, when you charge it will charge both batteries ,,,

I have a 100amp disconnect right after my isolator, I leave this open most of the time. Also, I have no accessories off the main battery. I hadn't started the rig in almost two weeks, so it makes me wonder why the main battery was powered down so low that it wouldn't start the unit, it wasn't completely dead, but wouldn't start it. I feel with it not being run only two weeks it should have had enough juice to start it.

Reactions: farmtimpioneer
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I have a 100amp disconnect right after my isolator, I leave this open most of the time. Also, I have no accessories off the main battery. I hadn't started the rig in almost two weeks, so it makes me wonder why the main battery was powered down so low that it wouldn't start the unit, it wasn't completely dead, but wouldn't start it. I feel with it not being run only two weeks it should have had enough juice to start it.
My 2018 had a bad battery. It would go dead after sitting a week or so.
My 2016 battery is still in use.

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I really don't see the need for a disconnect after the isolator as long as isolator is working properly and batteries are Healthy if battery voltage drops below a certain level the blue light on isolator will go out, I have had isolator on my batteries since I bought Pioneer in 2017, that was the first thing I added to Machine with aux. Battery, and it has performed perfectly ever since, occasionally I will disconnect positive on one battery and isolate to test batteries, I keep batteries on a maintainer in the winter, if You are in a area where it gets very cold You need to keep a good charge on those batteries,,,,

Reactions: TripleB
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also it is best to run all switched accessories thru appropriate Relays for each accessory, do not run higher amp accessories thru manual switch, the dash switch is only to trip the relay,,,

advertisement
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also it is best to run all switched accessories thru appropriate Relays for each accessory, do not run higher amp accessories thru manual switch, the dash switch is only to trip the relay,,,

The 100amp switch is for my convenience as well as protection, it's a great shut off point to work on other stuff. Yes, I've pretty much got the relay stuff down. In the upper left of the picture you can see my 6 relays to go with my switch panel.

Relays

Switch

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The 100amp switch is for my convenience as well as protection, it's a great shut off point to work on other stuff. Yes, I've pretty much got the relay stuff down. In the upper left of the picture you can see my 6 relays to go with my switch panel.

View attachment 172450

Can you turn down the brightness of the yellow? It's hurting my eyes this early in the morning.

Reactions: nitzo

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!