lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Does any brand make a sport SxS with a selectable rear locker? What have you broken because of this rear "driveline bind"? Sounds to me like you bought the wrong type of machine for your actual use and that a Pioneer or Jeep would have been a better choice. No?
So the basic premise is an engineer is going to fix stupid?
And, the target price is ~$1k above the MSRP of the 2021 SE.

How bout some nice new colors and maybe a graphic or two?

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So the basic premise is an engineer is going to fix stupid?
And, the target price is ~$1k under the MSRP of the 2021 SE.

How bout some nice new colors and maybe a graphic or two?
So the last line, are you foreshadowing the 2022 through 2027 model years? 🤔

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty darn happy with the machine itself. However the cobbled together multi-vendor OEM accessories line up that goes on the machine is highly lacking. For instance 7 years in and the OEM roof design still hold a gallon of water and no drip rail, it's this kind of thing that's disappointing fans the most.

I mean hell even @SuperATV offers a flip-up windshield, tinted roof & rear panel as well as 4 full doors ( also tinted) that co-ordinate by matching up and sealing out the elements very well. Surely if they can design and produce this stuff a company with the resources of Honda Powersports could surely do better ( Yamaha RMAX accessories line up I'm looking at you)

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
So the last line, are you foreshadowing the 2022 through 2027 model years? 🤔

Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty darn happy with the machine itself. However the cobbled together multi-vendor OEM accessories line up that goes on the machine is highly lacking. For instance 7 years in and the OEM roof design still hold a gallon of water and no drip rail, it's this kind of thing that's disappointing fans the most.

I mean hell even @SuperATV offers a flip-up windshield, tinted roof & rear panel as well as 4 full doors ( also tinted) that co-ordinate by matching up and sealing out the elements very well. Surely if they can design and produce this stuff a company with the resources of Honda Powersports could surely do better ( Yamaha RMAX accessories line up I'm looking at you)
1) if there was a drip rail on the p1k roof (I suspect that is the one you are referencing) that gallon of water would compleatly overwhelm it. So they are saving you money doing nothing.
2) enjoy that R-max. 😁

B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Does any brand make a sport SxS with a selectable rear locker? What have you broken because of this rear "driveline bind"? Sounds to me like you bought the wrong type of machine for your actual use and that a Pioneer or Jeep would have been a better choice. No?
Just because no one offers it doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. 😁
I ride many different kinds of terrain. Perhaps 20% paved roads. Gotta love living in AZ! I would use that selectable locker mostly on paved roads. Probably also on the occasional rock/slickrock. Unlocking the rear would save some wear on the tires and make steering on pavement easier.

I have a Jeep also. It has selectable lockers front and rear.😁 I like both of my vehicles! In fact, I plan to keep my Jeep until I die. I expect the Talon won't last that long........

Just my point of view.......

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a few ideas.

I'm looking for a sport utility machine. Not because I want to haul stuff but I want room for stuff.

Front suspension around 13-15" of travel. Yeah it's not Talon but its an improvement over the Pioneer.

Rear suspension, I'm torn on trailing arms. Give us a soft ride with a-arms and beefy axle shafts. Again 13-15" travel

30" tires with an overall width of 65". Likely on a 15" wheel.

Bigger front brake rotors, maybe the Talon rotors would be sufficient but the Pioneer brakes suck.

15" of ground clearance

Locking front diff
Turf mode rear diff

Bench front seat... Let the whining begin... No joke I thought it was dumb but I love it. It's like the truck we had in highschool but I can enjoy it with my boys, and when wife and life permit, the boys.

Provisions for 4 point harnesses.

Flat but rearward sloping roof

A bed... I always thought the wildcat xx looked silly but it is basically a trophy truck el Camino and it can fit stuff in the bed.

Gearing... We all want lower 1st and 2nd gear but give us a bit on the top end too. This is a useless suggestion at 100hp but at 125-135 we should be able to crawl at 3-5mph and do 75... See big brake comment first

Full doors like the pioneer. They work but skip the pin joints and use bolts and lock nuts.

Power steering... The Pioneer power steering is weak and I'd assume 30-32" tires feel similar with the Talon. Give us more steering assist.

Yes, I basically want a 3 seat Honda RMAX with 120hp. Heck the Yamaha Viking in RMAX trim/suspension would look like a hell of a wheeling rig.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a few ideas.

I'm looking for a sport utility machine. Not because I want to haul stuff but I want room for stuff.

Front suspension around 13-15" of travel. Yeah it's not Talon but its an improvement over the Pioneer.

Rear suspension, I'm torn on trailing arms. Give us a soft ride with a-arms and beefy axle shafts. Again 13-15" travel

Bigger front brake rotors, maybe the Talon rotors would be sufficient but the Pioneer brakes suck.

15" of ground clearance

Locking front diff
Turf mode rear diff

Bench front seat... Let the whining begin... No joke I thought it was dumb but I love it. It's like the truck we had in highschool but I can enjoy it with my boys, and when wife and life permit, the boys.

A bed... I always thought the wildcat xx looked silly but it is basically a trophy truck el Camino and it can fit stuff in the bed.

Gearing... We all want lower 1st and 2nd gear but give us a bit on the top end too. This is a useless suggestion at 100hp but at 125-135 we should be able to crawl at 3-5mph and do 75... See big brake comment first

Full doors like the pioneer. They work but skip the pin joints and use bolts and lock nuts.

Power steering... The Pioneer power steering is weak and I'd assume 30-32" tires feel similar with the Talon. Give us more steering assist.

Yes, I basically want a 3 seat Honda RMAX with 120hp. Heck the Yamaha Viking in RMAX trim/suspension would look like a hell of a wheeling rig.

I like the R Max. I've ridden in and driven my buddy's 4 seat several times in the pits at the track and its a really nice machine. With that being said, I wouldn't go out and buy an R Max to short course race at Texplex just because I think it's a nice machine. Obviously it's the wrong tool for the job but it wouldn't be Yamaha's fault or responsibility to make it the correct tool because I choose to use it for purposes it was never designed for.

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not that I'm aware of, only the krx has a true locker in front. If that falls in an actual sport category. But You got i4wd, popo with their on again off again 4wd, and canam with their version, but none are a true locker in the front on any actual sport rigs.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1) if there was a drip rail on the p1k roof (I suspect that is the one you are referencing) that gallon of water would compleatly overwhelm it. So they are saving you money doing nothing.
2) enjoy that R-max. 😁
My brother has the rmax, he's on his 2nd one, first one had a missing weld on a shock tower, a handful did. Instead of welding or replacing the frame yamaha gave him a new machine! It's a very impressive machine compared to the Pioneer stock anyway. Only complaint I have out of it is the noise. But something I'd get use to, or not notice if I never had the beautiful 6 speed!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Not that I'm aware of, only the krx has a true locker in front. If that falls in an actual sport category. But You got i4wd, popo with their on again off again 4wd, and canam with their version, but none are a true locker in the front on any actual sport rigs.
I haven't investigated it, but DirtTrax said in one of their videos that the new "Pro" RZR thing no longer had the on demand set up, but had switched to a "selectable locking diff"...whatever that means.

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have a few ideas.

15" of ground clearance

Locking front diff
Turf mode rear diff

Sounds like a Pioneer Sport.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
U guy’s don’t want to hear it…. Best of both worlds .keep ur pioneers ,and buy a KRX.there’s different tools for all jobs.
U R right!

G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
U R right!

DF5E8FAC 02AC 4D60 A554 F67355ACAB2E

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
U guy’s don’t want to hear it…. Best of both worlds .keep ur pioneers ,and buy a KRX.there’s different tools for all jobs.
Can't buy a KRX in Wisconsin. Needs to be less than 65" wide

• Sad
Reactions: CID
G

GWH

Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2018
Las Vegas Nevads
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't buy a KRX in Wisconsin. Needs to be less than 65" wide
Then Honda needs to extend the rear trailing arms .The DCT platform on the pioneer in my opinion is great.The Talon needs a longer trailing arm,in the rear,this is old news.There’s quite a few members here complaining about how the Talon beats the shxx out of them! This is not an easy fix

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Then Honda needs to extend the rear trailing arms .The DCT platform on the pioneer in my opinion is great.The Talon needs a longer trailing arm,in the rear,this is old news.There’s quite a few members here complaining about how the Talon beats the shxx out of them! This is not an easy fix
Hence my original comment,

"Give us a soft ride with a-arms and beefy axle shafts". Think Maverick Sport or RMax. I want to soak up lots of obstacles not necessarily huge obstacles.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!