You are a Honda engineer....

Dragbikedude

Dragbikedude

Aug 12, 2021
Home
Ownership

1. Talon X
Paul, Ok, thanks for the info, good to know for a newbie like me. I am guessing the classifications you listed are just a rule of thumb kind of thing that everyone has used over the years and that there are no real official classifications listed somewhere? I have no idea where that would be if there is one but the only issue I would have with it is the word utility being used to describe the Talon even if it is "Sport/Utility". I just can't see using the Talon for any of the work I do on my property, ok sure I could throw a chainsaw in the back (it's too small for me to call it a bed) but sure couldn't use it to haul off all the tree branches or the 8' long sections of tree trunks (and no, there is no way to get a truck back there in the woods but my XRT1550 works great for that), or use it to haul 4 or 5' rolls of fencing and all the fence posts, tools, generator and so on or to haul 10-12 40 lbs. bags of pellets up from the barn. Ok, I realize some guys have put plows on their Talon's so there is your "utility" but I would guess you could do that on any of the machines you listed even if it does look funny.
Also you didn't list the YXZ1000R, where is that one categorized? I see Yamaha calls it a "Pure Sport Side by Side. I see a lot of them on the track (on TV) and I have read that they are better suited for the track than the trail (just people's personal opinion) so maybe there should be a category for Track/Sport, BUT then again I see Talon's on the track as well, so "utility", I don't think so. I realize it's not as fast as the turbocharged models or have the best or softest suspension but Talon and "utility" really? Sorry for the long winded rant, but if people want to call it a sport machine, so be it, who cares? and if people want to call it a Sport/Utility, whatever, so be it, so what, who cares. Maybe they (whoever "they" are) need to come up with some new categories., LOL.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Who gives a s*** what it's categorized as? I categorize @snuffnwhisky KRX as a monster truck and @TripleB P1k5 as a racecar. It's 2021, you can identify as whatever you want! My P1k5 is an F1 car.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Either "little dicks" or they actually have the time and the machine to go places where they can use that true "Sport" SxS.
We'll just agree to disagree ;)

It's not that I don't go out to those places because I don't have time, I've done it and find it rather boring but that's me, you do you. I like the mud & tight trails, you don't...... you like high speed desert & dunes, I don't. Different stroke for different folks as the saying goes. We can still be friends :D

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I could care less what any of you call your machines, BUT...

For Honda to call the Talon a "Sport SxS" and Yamaha to call the YXZ a "Pure Sport SxS" is just disingenuous. "Sporty", yes but neither is a "Sport SxS" and neither is the KRX for that matter.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Simple. Put a P500 body on it to get some real use out of it. Call it a Pioneer FJ40. Go anywhere, do anything, trouble free fun. 😆
961BCC22 8DA1 4AEE A5DF E837F103CF1295A1E669 9D75 4B96 9771 38324CDFD619

Last edited:
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Simple. Put a P500 body on it to get some real use out of it. Call it a Pioneer FJ40. Go anywhere, do anything, trouble free fun. 😆
View attachment 312199View attachment 312202
I'd like to agree with you but I had a 74 FJ and it got stuck routinely in mud and sand...hasn't happened with the P700 yet. I got stuck in Turkey once and it took two tractors to get me out. I was running 10.00 x 15's which were just about as big as you could get back then. I loved my FJ and when I got back to the States I put 350 small block and a 400 turbo hydro in it which wasn't easy. Great vehicle and I wish I still had it.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The R model I'd like to have...

-120hp to the wheels
-R model width & X model wheelbase (Because short course race car)
-No I4wd/ABS or low range
-Factory installed bypass shocks
-Revised rear suspension geometry
-Stronger steering rack
-Better gauge placement with a shift light added
Sorry the i4WD and ABS is the best feature on the Talon beside the power/drive train. Maybe an option for a switch to turn it off.

Reactions: lee
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry the i4WD and ABS is the best feature on the Talon beside the power/drive train. Maybe an option for a switch to turn it off.

When my computer was reflashed eliminating all the functions of I4wd (basically dyno mode) I picked up over 4 seconds on track.

The I4wd system does alot more than just the ABS thing. It retards timing, can unlock the 4wd clutch and will mess with shift points based on the sensor inputs. On a trail machine none of that is a problem, on a go fast machine it's a hindrance. In my opinion the R model should have been a stripped down version of the X for the go fast crowd.

HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
#1 maybe not 10” but redesigned rear end.
# 2, 3, 4 for sure.

#6 redesign air intake location and filter plenum. The intake should allow easy installation of a snorkel or particle separator without cutting holes.
#7 driver seat needs 2” more rear travel.
#8 instrument cluster flat lens so visible (the curved lens causes glare can’t read it, especially dirty). redesign to show numerical RPM, engine temp, clutch temp, relocate to above steering wheel.
#9 Redesign the center panel of dash for radio, intercom, switches and GPS.
As an option a GPS like Polaris ride command (min 8” diag screen) with group ride and OnX off-road maps. Also optional, integrated into display rear and front view cameras. These are options I would gladly pay for.
#10 bigger gas tank. 10 gallons minimum.

Reactions: CID and JenElio
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Out of curiosity...I saw some mentions about power steering assist. What the deal with that? Does the tally have too little?

Reactions: JenElio
HavasuDave

HavasuDave

Dec 7, 2019
Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
#11 redesign mechanical linkage for accelerator so the first 10%-20% makes less throttle change to eliminate bouncy pedal and allow more precision for slow technical driving.

I forgot about that since I installed a throttle maxx pedal 😎🤪🤣

Reactions: Vikes79 and JenElio
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
When my computer was reflashed eliminating all the functions of I4wd (basically dyno mode) I picked up over 4 seconds on track.

The I4wd system does alot more than just the ABS thing. It retards timing, can unlock the 4wd clutch and will mess with shift points based on the sensor inputs. On a trail machine none of that is a problem, on a go fast machine it's a hindrance. In my opinion the R model should have been a stripped down version of the X for the go fast crowd.
Do you also have a trail machine, or is all your riding left turns anymore?

Reactions: Vikes79
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who gives a s*** what it's categorized as? I categorize @snuffnwhisky KRX as a monster truck and @TripleB P1k5 as a racecar. It's 2021, you can identify as whatever you want! My P1k5 is an F1 car.
My P1k5 identifies as a bad ass Tremor F350 of manlyness ice fishing, family trail running, fence fixing, cow chasing, pasture spraying , snow plowing badassness.
😂😂

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Out of curiosity...I saw some mentions about power steering assist. What the deal with that? Does the tally have too little?

It sometimes is intermittent with stock tires, barely works with larger tires
On my particular unit, the power steering usually works properly. It would occasionally check out like when I'm doing a K-turn, backing up a steep bank which puts a heavy load on the front. It would do that a couple of times a day. I'm running 30" tires.

Jump ahead several months - I had a few days where it would do that a dozen or so times a day without the heavy load, it just checked out for a particular turn, always momentary.

I've read that the stock PS is 'just enough' for stock and unable to deal with heavier loading and now I believe that's true. The solution is a ~$1000 aftermarket unit and I'm not willing to do that for an occasional heavy feel.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!