BOX1

P1000 1 st ride overheated!

S

Stuckbuck

May 9, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all! I’m new here, just purchased a 2018 P1K-5 yesterday. I ran it at the house only 5-7 miles with no issue. I took it out to the hunting lease today for our first ride and I had my 11 yr old daughter following behind on the recon, I was going pretty slow (up to maybe 15mph at times) for about 7 miles or so In low MT.
We were riding along then we stopped for my wife to swap out with my 11 yr old when I heard a rattling noise, I started to check things. I got out and that’s when I saw the coolant gushing out. I turned it off immediately! I never noticed the “overheat” Light.
After freaking out for a minute or two, I started doing some research on a Facebook group and saw it was a pretty common occurrence. Luckily I had a couple nalgen bottles of water.
Once the overfill tank receded, I added about 48oz’s back to it.
After sitting to let it cool down, we started it right back up and made it back to the truck.
I read to “burp” the cooling system so I found a steep hill, ran it dang near vertical, opened the radiator cap and let it run for about 5 min.
The temp stayed at normal the rest of the ride. Probably only put another 15-20mi after overheating.
That’s a bad feeling, I hope it’s not going to be an ongoing issue.
Have any of you guys had a similar problem?

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all! I’m new here, just purchased a 2018 P1K-5 yesterday. I ran it at the house only 5-7 miles with no issue. I took it out to the hunting lease today for our first ride and I had my 11 yr old daughter following behind on the recon, I was going pretty slow (up to maybe 15mph at times) for about 7 miles or so In low MT.
We were riding along then we stopped for my wife to swap out with my 11 yr old when I heard a rattling noise, I started to check things. I got out and that’s when I saw the coolant gushing out. I turned it off immediately! I never noticed the “overheat” Light.
After freaking out for a minute or two, I started doing some research on a Facebook group and saw it was a pretty common occurrence. Luckily I had a couple nalgen bottles of water.
Once the overfill tank receded, I added about 48oz’s back to it.
After sitting to let it cool down, we started it right back up and made it back to the truck.
I read to “burp” the cooling system so I found a steep hill, ran it dang near vertical, opened the radiator cap and let it run for about 5 min.
The temp stayed at normal the rest of the ride. Probably only put another 15-20mi after overheating.
That’s a bad feeling, I hope it’s not going to be an ongoing issue.
Have any of you guys had a similar problem?
I'd head back to dealer

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No point in going toi the dealer. They'll just say "yeah that has happened to a few of them. Totally normal"... at least that is what my dealer said. If it makes you feel better though. I filled mine up and let it run on an incline like I read on here. And it has never over heated again. I also don't drive around in low range on the trails anymore.

Never saw my overheat light either. Have no idea how long it was overheating...

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, my dealer also said that the machine has a type of limp mode to protect it from damage when over heating... I didn't buy that line for a second lol.

S

Stuckbuck

May 9, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No point in going toi the dealer. They'll just say "yeah that has happened to a few of them. Totally normal"... at least that is what my dealer said. If it makes you feel better though. I filled mine up and let it run on an incline like I read on here. And it has never over heated again. I also don't drive around in low range on the trails anymore.

Never saw my overheat light either. Have no idea how long it was overheating...
So you just stay in high?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The radiator has to have all of it's nooks and cranny's filled and that sometimes requires an elevation of the nose of the rig and then allow it to run/circulate/burp like that to allow any trapped air to escape. Once done, you shouldn't have any more problems. I run mine fast and I run mine slow, heck I just run mine. Good luck.

S

Stuckbuck

May 9, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The radiator has to have all of it's nooks and cranny's filled and that sometimes requires an elevation of the nose of the rig and then allow it to run/circulate/burp like that to allow any trapped air to escape. Once done, you shouldn't have any more problems. I run mine fast and I run mine slow, heck I just run mine. Good luck.

I ran it elevated for maybe 5 minuets. When I removed the radiator cap, the coolant level was right at the top (after having added 48 oz) after the 5 min. It was only maybe an inch below the cap.
My point is, how much air in it could cause it to overheat?

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ran it elevated for maybe 5 minuets. When I removed the radiator cap, the coolant level was right at the top (after having added 48 oz) after the 5 min. It was only maybe an inch below the cap.

Doesn't take much air and causes a blockage that doesn't allow circulation and gets hot fast.

Subaru has had the same issue on their cars.
If you fill the radiator to fast and don't let it circulate an air pocket develops and overheat city!

S

Stuckbuck

May 9, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doesn't take much air and causes a blockage that doesn't allow circulation and gets hot fast.

Subaru has had the same issue on their cars.
If you fill the radiator to fast and don't let it circulate an air pocket develops and overheat city!
That makes very good since. I appreciate the reply’s!

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I believe you need to run it with the nose elevated and have the radiator cap off while it is running.

And yes, I am in high basically all the time now. I very rarely put it in low. Like for a slow rock climbing section or starting on a steep hill in the trails.

I originally had a 2016 and didn't run in low. I thought that might have been a causal factor with my clutch issues. So when I got this 2017 i decided to run it in low range all the time except on the paved roads. But then it over heated on my first trail ride (in low range). So now I just use high.

Reactions: Shannon840 and BWAF
Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Keep in mind if it continues one thing snuff taught me was to replace radiator cap sometimes if they don't seal you will overheat much more easily.

N

noisewater

Aug 3, 2017
west michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you just stay in high?
From what I've been told, these are more like trucks than work quads. Low is only for heavy hauling and slow, tough terrain. Otherwise 2WD high until you need 4WD and even then keep it in high unless it's really tough going. Just what I've been told and have observed on the little over 1000 miles on my '16 P1000-5.
My buddy's '17 P1000-5 blew coolant everywhere on his first ride too. Turns out the factory hadn't tightened the cap all the way.

S

Stuckbuck

May 9, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My salesman was to one who told me to keep it in low on trails...
I prefer high, it’s way too jerky riding constantly in low.
I’ll try it next time I’m out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arizona and BWAF
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Both the service manager and salesman told me high is for dirt road/highway conditions when needing to run over 30 mph. Otherwise, slow/trail riding it should be kept in low. Seems like running it in high to try to keep it from overheating is a band aid fix for a different issue.

If you've had the clutch update, you might not hurt the clutch as much as before, but I'm sure a good portion of clutch issues were a result of running it slow in high instead of low.

If you're having trouble with it feeling jerky, you can always try the Throttle MAXX or even make your own as some others have done.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From what I've been told, these are more like trucks than work quads. Low is only for heavy hauling and slow, tough terrain. Otherwise 2WD high until you need 4WD and even then keep it in high unless it's really tough going. Just what I've been told and have observed on the little over 1000 miles on my '16 P1000-5.
My buddy's '17 P1000-5 blew coolant everywhere on his first ride too. Turns out the factory hadn't tightened the cap all the way.

That’s exactly how I run mine and knock on wood, no issues yet. Just like with a belt drive machine, I only run low if I’m consistently under 10mph, heavily loaded, or starting up a steep incline from a stop. Other than that I’m in high all day long on the trails.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Both the service manager and salesman told me high is for dirt road/highway conditions when needing to run over 30 mph. Otherwise, slow/trail riding it should be kept in low. Seems like running it in high to try to keep it from overheating is a band aid fix for a different issue.

If you've had the clutch update, you might not hurt the clutch as much as before, but I'm sure a good portion of clutch issues were a result of running it slow in high instead of low.

If you're having trouble with it feeling jerky, you can always try the Throttle MAXX or even make your own as some others have done.

I agree. It is funny as I started to read the first few lines of your post I was literally thinking the phrase "bandaid fix" but was thinking about how the service manager and salesman were telling you to run in low unless on paved roads. Seems like, at least for a while there, that was their standard line to everyone, and I assume it was their fix to having so many clutch complaints later down the road. I agree though, running in high to keep from over heating would be a band aid as well.

I doubt mine will over heat now, I just prefer high range usually. And I figure if you can't run high until you are over 30mph, well crap, I'd never be out of low range then. Now I basically only use low range if I want to go slower than 1st gear high range. If I'm in low range on a trail and the trail allows enough speed to shift into second, then I'm most likely switching back to high range (unless it is a decent hill climb).

It shouldn't have to take so much conscious thought to drive one of these. If my wife can't get in, put it in drive, and drive a couple trails to get from the camper to the general store then that is definitely a flaw on Honda's part. So now I just drive it. If it burns up clutches, then so be it lol.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!