P1000 Overheated

Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I just got back from my annual Wyoming mule deer hunting trip with my 2017 1000-5D. Riding the same trails, climbing the same hills and descents as previous 4 years. But this time, out of the blue, it overheated. After riding for three days without any problems. And this was when we weren't doing any serious trail riding . Mainly level and dry although I did splash through a couple of mud holes but nothing serious. After the fact, shined light through radiator and doesn't appear to be any kind of blockage. Anyways, just going down the trail, looked down and had 4 bars on the temp gauge and the overheat lamp on. Couldn't tell you if it just came on or if it had been on for awhile. Immediately shut down the machine and it immediately started boiling over. In my panic, I failed to ascertain whether the fan was running or not. We were 10 miles from camp and no cell service so we decided to restart and see what happened. Never went over two bars on temp gauge all the way back to camp even though I lost a LOT of coolant in the boil over. Once back to camp and cooled down, we removed the radiator cap and topped off radiator. Had to add coolant to reservoir twice after running for awhile. It ran fine the rest of my trip. I was very cognizant of listening for the fan starting and stopping and it was working fine. Although I can't swear it was working when it overheated. Any ideas on what caused this and what should I check for permanent damage? This is the first time I have had any kind of problem and it has me real gun shy now.

Edit: One thing to add, the day before I hit a rock very hard and jolted the machine hard. Hard enough that I punctured a tire and had to patch it on the trail. But it ran fine the rest of the everning and the next morning. It was the next evening when it overheated

Last edited:
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So I just got back from my annual Wyoming mule deer hunting trip with my 2017 1000-5D. Riding the same trails, climbing the same hills and descents as previous 4 years. But this time, out of the blue, it overheated. After riding for three days without any problems. And this was when we weren't doing any serious trail riding . Mainly level and dry although I did splash through a couple of mud holes but nothing serious. After the fact, shined light through radiator and doesn't appear to be any kind of blockage. Anyways, just going down the trail, looked down and had 4 bars on the temp gauge and the overheat lamp on. Couldn't tell you if it just came on or if it had been on for awhile. Immediately shut down the machine and it immediately started boiling over. In my panic, I failed to ascertain whether the fan was running or not. We were 10 miles from camp and no cell service so we decided to restart and see what happened. Never went over two bars on temp gauge all the way back to camp even though I lost a LOT of coolant in the boil over. Once back to camp and cooled down, we removed the radiator cap and topped off radiator. Had to add coolant to reservoir twice after running for awhile. It ran fine the rest of my trip. I was very cognizant of listening for the fan starting and stopping and it was working fine. Although I can't swear it was working when it overheated. Any ideas on what caused this and what should I check for permanent damage? This is the first time I have had any kind of problem and it has me real gun shy now.

Edit: One thing to add, the day before I hit a rock very hard and jolted the machine hard. Hard enough that I punctured a tire and had to patch it on the trail. But it ran fine the rest of the everning and the next morning. It was the next evening when it overheated
Add a fan override switch just for peace of mind. If you haven't burped it i would go ahead and try to burp the lines after loosing and adding fluid. Other then that I always keep an eye on my temp gauge. If it ever gets to 3 I start to really pay attention, never done it more then once

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
It could have been an air bubble in the system. I would clean the radiator good when you have a hose, and burp the coolant system. Then ride and keep an eye on the temp gauge.

I doubt you did any damage if it was still running good. I’m not sure if honda has it, but my ranger would lose all power above 138*. It kind of forced you to stop.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It being a 2017, my money is on the fan not running. There is an ECU update that's suppose to fix that problem. My 2018 did it in 2018. Ever since then I make sure I turn the key straight to start when I fire up my machine. I've never had the fan issue again. I've not had my machine updated either. I doubt your boil over caused any damage. I've put over 9000 miles on mine since my boil over and not had any issues.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
From what I've read, some turn the key to "ON", but then wait until the display "stabilizes" before turning the rest of the way to "Start".

Now I'm ??? too. What's the correct way to do it . . . or does it matter?
I know straight to start works. I've heard doing what you do works also. The fan glitch seems to happen when you turn the key, pause and then start. I always leave mine on the temp screen because I'm paranoid about it. Get it reflashed and don't worry about it.

Reactions: Ohio4x4 and Biteme
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Generally speaking, for most FI vehicles you turn the key part way (ON/ACC) for a few seconds and allow the fuel system to pressurize and such, then complete the start procedure. But that is generally only needed if the vehicle has been sitting for a period of it.

Reactions: Lady01 and Ingfam
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Generally speaking the fan should come on when it gets hot. I'm just telling you guys how I do it, right or wrong . It's your machine, do what you want. Sometime in 2019 is when they supposedly fixed the glitch.

Reactions: Ohio4x4 and Lady01
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Generally speaking the fan should come on when it gets hot.
For sure. But screws fall out - the world is an imperfect place.

Always best to have a backup plan if possible, no matter what you're doing. :)

• Haha
Reactions: Ohio4x4 and TripleB
Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Generally speaking the fan should come on when it gets hot. I'm just telling you guys how I do it, right or wrong . It's your machine, do what you want. Sometime in 2019 is when they supposedly fixed the glitch.
Thanks. I'm just curious why the dealer hasn't informed me of this "glitch" and reflashed it. It's been in for recalls service since 2019. Does the "reflashing" not come up automatically when they look up my VIN?

Also, what's the trick to getting the radiator cap off? I can not get my hand in that little hole to grab it. We ended up using plier handles like chopsticks to twist it off. :)

Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know straight to start works. I've heard doing what you do works also. The fan glitch seems to happen when you turn the key, pause and then start. I always leave mine on the temp screen because I'm paranoid about it. Get it reflashed and don't worry about it.
I know that now after this event, mine will be left on the temp screen also. I was paranoid the whole rest of our trip. Even educated my passenger that he had to watch the gauge while I was in some climbs and descents where I didn't need to take my eyes off the road.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I always leave the temp gauge up, don't know that I'm paranoid about temp, but of the choices available that seemed to be the most useful information.....

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks. I'm just curious why the dealer hasn't informed me of this "glitch" and reflashed it. It's been in for recalls service since 2019. Does the "reflashing" not come up automatically when they look up my VIN?

Also, what's the trick to getting the radiator cap off? I can not get my hand in that little hole to grab it. We ended up using plier handles like chopsticks to twist it off. :)
Its not a recall item.. I'm pretty sure it's something you have to ask for but it's free.. That cap is a b****. Small hands or pliers.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know that now after this event, mine will be left on the temp screen also. I was paranoid the whole rest of our trip. Even educated my passenger that he had to watch the gauge while I was in some climbs and descents where I didn't need to take my eyes off the road.
My passenger was the one that noticed the red light the first time I overheated. Like others have said, you probably need to burp the radiator since you boiled out coolant.

dommieboy

dommieboy

Jun 19, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Happened to me a couple of years ago. I added an override switch for the fan and got the ECM update as well. Since I’ve only hit 3 bars a few times but it dropped before I needed to hit the switch. Just nice to have the backup if I need it.

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2018 which I purchased new in June 2019 overheated on my first ride. Blew coolant all over the place. Noticed that the fan did not run ever. When I finally got it home I called the dealer. He explained that they did all of the updates and recalls before the machine left the shop. Just for curiosity, I quizzed him about where the harness connection was for the fan pigtail. Went out to the garage and found that the connectors were together but not pushed together. Topped off the antifreeze and haven’t had a problem in 3600 miles.

Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Had it happen to my 2019 once. Completely out of the blue. Never since. Guy on here told me to turn key directly to start with no hesitation in between. There is an update for it apparently..

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!