P1000 1 st ride overheated!

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will the overheating and the fan not working correctly be the next recall or as Honda calls it a product improvement

Mess with your wires around the fan. I did it to mine when it did it the first time and I haven’t had any more problems. May just be a coincidence though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can save everyone a lot of time.Been through this from day one finally seven over heating later it stored a code.Simple change the fan control modules
Is there more than one module? I am willing to try anything. It is getting embarrassing to be wearing a coat and running the heater and have to tell people that "You" are working on it. Thanks

M

markc

May 31, 2017
eastern kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is there more than one module? I am willing to try anything. It is getting embarrassing to be wearing a coat and running the heater and have to tell people that "You" are working on it. Thanks
ok I can tell you they changed two first one was right under drivers seat and I'm thanking it controlled the fuel pump and fan.that one never helped it the last one was down on the motor it left a code had to remove some plastic to get to it.said it was the fan control module

T

Travis85

Aug 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was out riding around in low range scouting for deer yesterday. And mine boiled over. Shut it off looked it over drove home parked it and topped of the resivour ran in the garage for 10 min and never did over heat again. The fan would kick on for maybe 10 seconds then back off. 1300 miles and the first problem I have had with it. Any ideas?

Reactions: BWAF
M

markc

May 31, 2017
eastern kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was out riding around in low range scouting for deer yesterday. And mine boiled over. Shut it off looked it over drove home parked it and topped of the resivour ran in the garage for 10 min and never did over heat again. The fan would kick on for maybe 10 seconds then back off. 1300 miles and the first problem I have had with it. Any ideas?
same thing happed to me did it 6 times over a 6 month period have then replace the fan control module

Reactions: Travis85 and BWAF
T

Travis85

Aug 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
same thing happed to me did it 6 times over a 6 month period have then replace the fan control module
I went out the next day in low range again and it was fine. It needs to go in for the air intake recall ill talk to them about it then. See what they have to say about it.

Reactions: Smitty335
Skin0375

Skin0375

Jan 28, 2018
West Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I can save everyone a lot of time.Been through this from day one finally seven over heating later it stored a code.Simple change the fan control modules
So your 1000 kept over heating, and after 7 times it stored a code and you convinced the dealer to fix the problem by replacing fan control module? Mines done this 4 times now and to be honest, I'm tired of burping the system. I figured out it was the fan after the 2nd time, contacted my dealer and they just told me to burp it. I explained to them I had already burped it, it shouldn't have any air and that the fan wasn't kicking on like it should. I even mentioned a sensor, but burping was the response. How did you know it showed/stored a code?

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
So your 1000 kept over heating, and after 7 times it stored a code and you convinced the dealer to fix the problem by replacing fan control module? Mines done this 4 times now and to be honest, I'm tired of burping the system. I figured out it was the fan after the 2nd time, contacted my dealer and they just told me to burp it. I explained to them I had already burped it, it shouldn't have any air and that the fan wasn't kicking on like it should. I even mentioned a sensor, but burping was the response. How did you know it showed/stored a code?
Honda is suppose to have an update to address this issue. I've not had it done yet. I over heated once last fall because the fan didnt kick on. I read someone say dont pause the key when u start up and it wont cause the fan to not come on. I dont know if it's just a coincidence or if that the reason but I haven't overheated since.

H

Hondafam26

Jan 6, 2021
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man! I have a 2021 p1k5, I've had it for about 6 months and have taken it on a couple of rides with some pretty good hill climbs never had a problem. Took it out this weekend and had a pretty long steep hill climb, I hit it in low with the full diff lock on and when I got to the top it was fully over heated and bubbling in the reservoir. So the only thing different was it was a much higher elevation and sandy condition. This still shouldn't have had this affect on my machine should it?

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Man! I have a 2021 p1k5, I've had it for about 6 months and have taken it on a couple of rides with some pretty good hill climbs never had a problem. Took it out this weekend and had a pretty long steep hill climb, I hit it in low with the full diff lock on and when I got to the top it was fully over heated and bubbling in the reservoir. So the only thing different was it was a much higher elevation and sandy condition. This still shouldn't have had this affect on my machine should it?
Have had multiple p1000s overheat at high altitudes. Radiator is undersized and the fan doesn’t come on quick enough. Look and hondasxs radiator fan bypass or have it flashed. It was a chronic issue with mine and the IGR because of high RPMS switch will fix it.

Reactions: Hondafam26
Micah_Deshotel

Micah_Deshotel

May 30, 2019
Egan, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have the bypass kit on my 2018 1000-5 so I can manually override the fan to turn it on. I have never had an issue overheating tho. I also have 2 10" duct fans under my seat to assist in redirecting the heat past the engine and out the back.

H

Hondafam26

Jan 6, 2021
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have had multiple p1000s overheat at high altitudes. Radiator is undersized and the fan doesn’t come on quick enough. Look and hondasxs radiator fan bypass or have it flashed. It was a chronic issue with mine and the IGR because of high RPMS switch will fix it.
I'll have to look into this

H

Hondafam26

Jan 6, 2021
Az
Ownership

1. 1000-5
T
I have the bypass kit on my 2018 1000-5 so I can manually override the fan to turn it on. I have never had an issue overheating tho. I also have 2 10" duct fans under my seat to assist in redirecting the heat past the engine and out the back.
This I a great idea! I might do the under the seat fans

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!