P1000 1 st ride overheated!

djracer

djracer

Jun 2, 2017
Wetumpka, Al.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was told to run in low range unless I needed more than 30 mph. I have never had heat issues ( or any real issues) I do run turf mode or 2wd most of the time unless it gets real bad on a trail or monster hill.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was told to run in low range unless I needed more than 30 mph. I have never had heat issues ( or any real issues) I do run turf mode or 2wd most of the time unless it gets real bad on a trail or monster hill.

I ran a lot in turf/2wd for takeover and noticed my rear tires wore more than my front. I’m going to go back to using 4wd on loose/slick stuff to save these soft tires. For now I’m going to rotate and wear them even.

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree. It is funny as I started to read the first few lines of your post I was literally thinking the phrase "bandaid fix" but was thinking about how the service manager and salesman were telling you to run in low unless on paved roads. Seems like, at least for a while there, that was their standard line to everyone, and I assume it was their fix to having so many clutch complaints later down the road. I agree though, running in high to keep from over heating would be a band aid as well.

I doubt mine will over heat now, I just prefer high range usually. And I figure if you can't run high until you are over 30mph, well crap, I'd never be out of low range then. Now I basically only use low range if I want to go slower than 1st gear high range. If I'm in low range on a trail and the trail allows enough speed to shift into second, then I'm most likely switching back to high range (unless it is a decent hill climb).

It shouldn't have to take so much conscious thought to drive one of these. If my wife can't get in, put it in drive, and drive a couple trails to get from the camper to the general store then that is definitely a flaw on Honda's part. So now I just drive it. If it burns up clutches, then so be it lol.

If it’s got the update you won’t mess up a clutch without an incredible amount of determination and stupidity.

M

markc

May 31, 2017
eastern kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
mine has over heated at least twelve time since new its a 2017.in the shop now about the four time they have ideal what the problem is as soon as it over heats i can turn the engine off then back on the fan kicks in and it cools down its very sporadic

Reactions: Stuckbuck and BWAF
S

Stuckbuck

May 9, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
mine has over heated at least twelve time since new its a 2017.in the shop now about the four time they have ideal what the problem is as soon as it over heats i can turn the engine off then back on the fan kicks in and it cools down its very sporadic

That’s aggravating as hell! Hope they take care of it for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arizona and BWAF
NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 1000-5 le over heats and will boil over if I don't notice warning light, winter/summer doesn't seem to matter. I have burped it a couple of times, added purple ice, and still have the same problem. What I have noticed is that it seems to happen when in low. Now when it gets hot or boils over I stop, get out and check if fan is running, it is not. I shut buggy off and turn right back on, the fan comes on and boil over quits almost immediately and it cools down quickly. Been to dealership and no problem found. Going to replace cap, then try different additive, hanging buggy from tree to re burp, maybe add a little water to coolant. It has been to the dealership once and currently is at dealership now for codes. Hoping maybe they find something this time. Just over 2000 miles. Any thoughts?

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 1000-5 le over heats and will boil over if I don't notice warning light, winter/summer doesn't seem to matter. I have burped it a couple of times, added purple ice, and still have the same problem. What I have noticed is that it seems to happen when in low. Now when it gets hot or boils over I stop, get out and check if fan is running, it is not. I shut buggy off and turn right back on, the fan comes on and boil over quits almost immediately and it cools down quickly. Been to dealership and no problem found. Going to replace cap, then try different additive, hanging buggy from tree to re burp, maybe add a little water to coolant. It has been to the dealership once and currently is at dealership now for codes. Hoping maybe they find something this time. Just over 2000 miles. Any thoughts?
Mine has done that once, with about 500 miles on it.

NateinNevada

NateinNevada

Jul 31, 2017
Battle Mountain, Nevada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine has done that once, with about 500 miles on it.
Did you do anything to get it to stop over heating or did it just stop. I spend a lot of time in the mountains running in low, that seems to be when it happens. I have over 2000 miles on mine.

Reactions: Arizona
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you do anything to get it to stop over heating or did it just stop. I spend a lot of time in the mountains running in low, that seems to be when it happens. I have over 2000 miles on mine.
At the time, I did not even notice if the fan had kicked on...... I THINK that was the problem. I stopped and let it cool off a few minutes and put 2 bottles of water in that I happened to have. Cranked up, all was good, and went to camp. Nothing since then.

Hondahauler

Hondahauler

Apr 22, 2018
Custer South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Purchased same P1000 deluxe had exact same issue, while in low gear going up hill no fan,overheat with red light and boil over.
Returned home ,bought some blue coolant,didn't add waited till next morning coolant tank was between lines and radiator was full when I removed cap.
Having years in managing Peterbilt,Isuzu shop IMHO air bubble in coolant system was at sensor location with angle unit was on and gave lower than actual reading and with low gear steeper climb caused over heat. In My case once overheat and boil over air was gone after next day simulating exact climb fan came on and temp stayed normal. Now I ride with temp gauge mode showing on display.
Original cause of air in system? Honda should have dealer Burp system as part of pre delivery to Customer.
My experience shook My 45 year history buying Honda products.

Having a blast now with My 2018 pioneer but with a little concern in the back of my mind every time we have gone trail riding.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m going to burp my system. Here’s the question: I recently overheated crawling in low up a trail and over heated. I noticed my fan wasn’t on!? Cooled down, started and fan was on!? Limped her back to the truck with no problems, cruising down hill and fan was still working normally. As it sits now, the radiator is full and reservoir has about an inch in it. Do I want to fill the reservoir before I burp the system? Also how elevated does the front need to be? Thanks people!
I’ll be checking the fan connections too, I don’t understand why the fan wasn’t on when I overheated..

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m going to burp my system. Here’s the question: I recently overheated crawling in low up a trail and over heated. I noticed my fan wasn’t on!? Cooled down, started and fan was on!? Limped her back to the truck with no problems, cruising down hill and fan was still working normally. As it sits now, the radiator is full and reservoir has about an inch in it. Do I want to fill the reservoir before I burp the system? Also how elevated does the front need to be? Thanks people!
I’ll be checking the fan connections too, I don’t understand why the fan wasn’t on when I overheated..

If air was trapped at the sensor, in the thermostat housing, it causes the sensors to misread the temp. The sensor is made to read liquid temperature, not an air temperature. If you are bleeding the thermostat housing at it’s screw, you don’t need to elevate the front end. It can be done on flat ground, and can be done with the supplied tools that come under the hood, without pulling the front seat back off. You only need to pull the plastic fasteners around the seat belt latches to gain access to it. If your overflow bottle is full before you burb it, you might have to add a few ounces once your done. It’s really not a big deal and it shouldn’t scare anyone. It’s really a ten minute job that our dealers should have done.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If air was trapped at the sensor, in the thermostat housing, it causes the sensors to misread the temp. The sensor is made to read liquid temperature, not an air temperature. If you are bleeding the thermostat housing at it’s screw, you don’t need to elevate the front end. It can be done on flat ground, and can be done with the supplied tools that come under the hood, without pulling the front seat back off. You only need to pull the plastic fasteners around the seat belt latches to gain access to it. If your overflow bottle is full before you burb it, you might have to add a few ounces once your done. It’s really not a big deal and it shouldn’t scare anyone. It’s really a ten minute job that our dealers should have done.

Is the machine running while loosing the bleed screw? Or will it bleed while engine is turned off? Thanks again.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Be careful what you use with the antifreeze. I used to run purple ice in my mx bike and I thought it had to be on it's own. Mixing with regular antifreeze would gum up the system.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

03csmith2575

Apr 10, 2018
Bloomfield, New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine over heats as well. When I notice it the fan is not on i have to turn it off then right back on and the fan comes on and cools down

J

Jdiehl7

Sep 21, 2018
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine did it the first weekend at the lease. Burped the coolant and it has been flawless for 450 miles now. Check to see if your fan is running right as well.

T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will the overheating and the fan not working correctly be the next recall or as Honda calls it a product improvement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!