Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Anyone price the brain for an LE yet?
I checked the codes on an 18LE last weekend.
i4WD code 15....
I followed the testing tree in the manual. I was unable to clear it.
$1250 controller to get i4WD to work again.
It is under factory warranty still and suggested the owner make an appointment at a dealer to have it further checked out.
Hope this is a fluke failure

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mehhhh... pics or it didn’t happen!

I have to admit, I have more pics of my accessories and shiney new machine, then out in action, but I'm working on it. The one ride we really put them through their paces, I was absolutely thrilled with how it handled and the stuff we got in and out of.
Resized 20190330 144756 1926

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
No i4WD brain on a deluxe. Just some $25 shift cables.

If you are thinking PGM-FI/ECM, I think they would be similar in price.
What about the ECU what tells the Deluxe models when to shift and everything else, I mused through parts fiche but couldn't find it.

J

JTW

I have to admit, I have more pics of my accessories and shiney new machine, then out in action, but I'm working on it. The one ride we really put them through their paces, I was absolutely thrilled with how it handled and the stuff we got in and out of.
View attachment 129553
They do fine.. just most of us that do more technical stuff had our machines before the i4wd came out. I run in 4wd mostly, so in reality if I can make the i4wd should. I still like the simplicity of a locked diff turning all 4, but the i4wd has its merits. Just a matter of if you’re willing to risk scratching those expensive painted panels all to s***.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
They do fine.. just most of us that do more technical stuff had our machines before the i4wd came out. I run in 4wd mostly, so in reality if I can make the i4wd should. I still like the simplicity of a locked diff turning all 4, but the i4wd has its merits. Just a matter of if you’re willing to risk scratching those expensive painted panels all to s***.
Thats one of the most fair and unbiased posts I’ve seen you make... so the question is, who are you and what have you done with Josh??? :confused:o_O

If you’ve got him in a gimp outfit though, we don’t need the details. :eek:

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

That so true. First time out I bounced it off 2 trees hard along with a narrow bridge rail. I was for sure I ruined the side panels, roof and roll bar the first day out. They cleaned up great and I got over it..

A friend breaking trail.
Resized 20190330 152908 6153

Last edited:
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about the ECU what tells the Deluxe models when to shift and everything else, I mused through parts fiche but couldn't find it.
I am almost positive the PGM-FI/ECM/PCM runs the DCT on both machines.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put a $200 down payment on a machine yesterday. After reading everybody's posts, I decided to just build one from the ground up. As I mentioned before I hate red and yellow but those are the only colors available in the deluxe models unless I want to pay another $2000+ for a 2019. In reference to both the deluxe and the LE, many of you commented at selling off the tires, wheels and or aluminum armor. If I buy a deluxe, then I'm stuck with colored panels that I'd need to sell. Now as mentioned with the LE is the different sized axel and the expensive computer brain. It seems to make the most logical sense not to pay all the extra cash for something I'm going to turn round and sell anyway. As far as selling everything off goes, I really don't have the time to mess with all that especially since I plan on heading west within a couple of weeks. So, I decided to just get a base model. I know, I know, I know.....that's not why you would've done....but, in the long run it's just me...I did get them to throw in a roof for an out the door price of $13,529.47
I can cover the red hood with a graphic from Walter and order the green colored plastics for the doors and rear panels for $329. If I buy a deluxe, then I'd be stuck with the ugly colored sides that I'd need to sell as well.
I went head and ordered the SuperATV flip up windshield and will be ordering the UHMW armor today and a winch. Going from stock shocks on my 500 to the stock 1000-5 will probably seem like I'm riding on air, but the fact remains that I can upgrade the shocks to Fox later, after I have recouped some cash. I like the bumper on the LE, but to order one costs $400 and I'm sure I can find other aftermarket bumpers later, for a compatible price. Yes, I have the money to buy an LE but, if I'm gonna be selling the armor and tires, and worrying about additional costs of available axels and computer brains, It seems more logical to just go with a less expensive base model and build it up as opposed to selling off everything in order to buy what I really want.
So let me ask you this, are the aluminum rims and LED lights worth the additional $1000 to buy a deluxe? The LED lights don't seem as important especially if I'm going to install a light bar. I do appreciate everybody's feedback and thank you for the time on here and on the phone with each one of you trying to give me your best advice.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I put a $200 down payment on a machine yesterday. After reading everybody's posts, I decided to just build one from the ground up. As I mentioned before I hate red and yellow but those are the only colors available in the deluxe models unless I want to pay another $2000+ for a 2019. In reference to both the deluxe and the LE, many of you commented at selling off the tires, wheels and or aluminum armor. If I buy a deluxe, then I'm stuck with colored panels that I'd need to sell. Now as mentioned with the LE is the different sized axel and the expensive computer brain. It seems to make the most logical sense not to pay all the extra cash for something I'm going to turn round and sell anyway. As far as selling everything off goes, I really don't have the time to mess with all that especially since I plan on heading west within a couple of weeks. So, I decided to just get a base model. I know, I know, I know.....that's not why you would've done....but, in the long run it's just me...I did get them to throw in a roof for an out the door price of $13,529.47
I can cover the red hood with a graphic from Walter and order the green colored plastics for the doors and rear panels for $329. If I buy a deluxe, then I'd be stuck with the ugly colored sides that I'd need to sell as well.
I went head and ordered the SuperATV flip up windshield and will be ordering the UHMW armor today and a winch. Going from stock shocks on my 500 to the stock 1000-5 will probably seem like I'm riding on air, but the fact remains that I can upgrade the shocks to Fox later, after I have recouped some cash. I like the bumper on the LE, but to order one costs $400 and I'm sure I can find other aftermarket bumpers later, for a compatible price. Yes, I have the money to buy an LE but, if I'm gonna be selling the armor and tires, and worrying about additional costs of available axels and computer brains, It seems more logical to just go with a less expensive base model and build it up as opposed to selling off everything in order to buy what I really want.
So let me ask you this, are the aluminum rims and LED lights worth the additional $1000 to buy a deluxe? The LED lights don't seem as important especially if I'm going to install a light bar. I do appreciate everybody's feedback and thank you for the time on here and on the phone with each one of you trying to give me your best advice.
I never said in my posts, but I'd buy the base as well, so I think you are doing the right thing. I have no need for i4wd, fancy wheels, or colored panels (I do like those blue ones, though).

LED's won't be missed unless you've had them or are riding with those who do...but as you said, a light bar kinda takes care of that.
Aluminum wheels are nice...but remember your comments about straightening the 500's wheel at the takeover? You can't do that with aluminum. The deluxe wheels are nice...but not as nice as many aftermarket ones, so if you are going to pay, just pay for the ones you really want.

Just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh yeah, well my base 1k5 gets 400 mpg and has 1000 hp as it doesn’t have all the other stuff on it!

The base is so much more awesomer that all other models shed tears as I fly by!

It uses 1% of its awesomeness to climb vertical walls in turf mode.

The base is so awesome the paths it takes are instantly commemorated into national trails instantly!

Just ask me, I’ll tell you!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
A lot of people are going to a different wheel/ tire package on all models. IMO wheels just don’t matter however you could pick and choose, or find some takeoffs that come around often. @mjn might still have his locally. As far as tires, most get replaced with something better. From my experience they’ll do ok for the first little bit before having issues but be careful if bushwhacking. The rocks at least here aren’t as jagged as some places but the sticks can make up for it. I think you’d be better of replacing tires on any model. Those copies I have are really holding up well btw
Hey and again congrats. I know you’re going to like the added space and stability as well as the power.

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Congrats @100Acre . You done well. That's exactly what I did, bought the base and added exactly what I wanted. I also plan on adding Fox shocks at some point, but after 2 years in a 500, the 1000 is a great improvement even with the factory shocks. The LED headlights are nice but the factory halogen headlights are still a world better than the 500s.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Congrats on the purchase.

With a base it’s easy to go a black out rig if you want.

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudwing
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome!

Reactions: 100Acre and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!