P1000 1st Serious outing issues

J

John_S

Lifetime Member
Dec 27, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I missed the Honda outing this past weekend, but I did end up in Arkansas near Dover on the trail systems there with some friends on (cough) polaris machines, a seriously modded General, RZR and RZR turbo. I'm glad to say that our stock P1000LE did everything and went everywhere without any issues. Unfortunately this also came at a price since we suffered our first war wounds. We had several water crossings throughout the weekend. Most were without any issues. But the last one was a deep running river. Water level came up to about 4" inside the cab and was about 200 yards wide. We made it through with no issues until we got back on dry land. After we all crossed I started back up but I was running a bit rough, died out a few times and was flashing a "2" in the gear indicator. Can anyone tell me what the 2 means? I will ask for water crossing advice in a separate thread, The second issue of concern was a very hard hit in close confines on the pas side. The plastic under the door is broken up and is deformed in the wheel well. Normally I would not worry too much since you should expect things like this to happen. The problem is that not the Pas door will not latch unless you press down about an inch. Something must be bent but I will not know until I get the plastic off. It might be a good thing I fully insured it last week.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I missed the Honda outing this past weekend, but I did end up in Arkansas near Dover on the trail systems there with some friends on (cough) polaris machines, a seriously modded General, RZR and RZR turbo. I'm glad to say that our stock P1000LE did everything and went everywhere without any issues. Unfortunately this also came at a price since we suffered our first war wounds. We had several water crossings throughout the weekend. Most were without any issues. But the last one was a deep running river. Water level came up to about 4" inside the cab and was about 200 yards wide. We made it through with no issues until we got back on dry land. After we all crossed I started back up but I was running a bit rough, died out a few times and was flashing a "2" in the gear indicator. Can anyone tell me what the 2 means? I will ask for water crossing advice in a separate thread, The second issue of concern was a very hard hit in close confines on the pas side. The plastic under the door is broken up and is deformed in the wheel well. Normally I would not worry too much since you should expect things like this to happen. The problem is that not the Pas door will not latch unless you press down about an inch. Something must be bent but I will not know until I get the plastic off. It might be a good thing I fully insured it last week.
The hinge on door is adjustable somewhat. I'll bet you bent up the tube under floorboard. Just gotta bend it back with a hilifter jack.

H

HondaTech

The flashing "2" is indicating a transmission issue. The number was just denoting the gear your Pioneer was in.

Count the number of flashes and you'll get the DTC code for the failure.

Haldog77

Haldog77

NTC's Mafia Enforcer
Lifetime Member
Sep 30, 2019
Bossier City, Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With so much talk here lately about vent tubes, I bet water got in and wrecked havoc on the trans. Did you make it back to your trailer or did you need help?

J

John_S

Lifetime Member
Dec 27, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
With so much talk here lately about vent tubes, I bet water got in and wrecked havoc on the trans. Did you make it back to your trailer or did you need help?
No help, It cleared after a restart and ran fine afterwards. But I have missed the threads on vent tubes, I'll need to search it and read up.

Reactions: Haldog77
J

John_S

Lifetime Member
Dec 27, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The flashing "2" is indicating a transmission issue. The number was just denoting the gear your Pioneer was in.

Count the number of flashes and you'll get the DTC code for the failure.
I did not think to count the flashes, it cleared itself and ran fine the rest of the day in both Auto and Manual... although I did stall it out once negotiating a steep rocky incline while in manual.

Reactions: Plumber32
J

John_S

Lifetime Member
Dec 27, 2019
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

A couple of pictures of the deepest water of the day. The rig going through in front is on 31" tires.

87943002 10222139138651122 2620738565268570112 n87796721 10222139140571170 2541583370270277632 n

Reactions: Eltobgi
H

HondaTech

I did not think to count the flashes, it cleared itself and ran fine the rest of the day in both Auto and Manual... although I did stall it out once negotiating a steep rocky incline while in manual.

There has to have been water in a connector to cause the electrical issue to show up. 4 inches in the cab would cover alot of the plugs on the clutch cover and the sub trans. The next time you get a chance I'd just go around and check connector tightness.

Reactions: TripleB
Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With going through all the deep water and no vent tube extension, I would with not doubt plan on changing all your fluids especially front and rear axles. You will see the vent tubes do not go that high at all. Changing oil is cheap insurance.

Reactions: Mudwing
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!