P1000 2018 P1000 braking issue

R

razok

Apr 3, 2019
pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey guys I purchased a brand new 2018 1000-5 deluxe in April and I'm noticing a braking problem that is a little strange but dangerous. If I'm driving for more than 5 minutes or the machine has sat without applying the brake and go to put the brakes on hard the pedal will bottom out and I only have about 1/2 the stopping power. If I pump the brakes once then I have lots of pedal left. Fluid level is good. I only have 177 miles on the machine and it has not always done this and its somewhat intermittent. Should I just take it to the dealer (not an easy thing for me due to machine location no local dealer within 2 hours) Could I have air trapped somewhere? bleed all 4 calipers?
Thanks for the help guys this site is the best!

R

razok

Apr 3, 2019
pa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, A PITA for sure but beats a trip to the dealer if it fixes it.

Are you still stock?
There have been reports of a-arms guards and other accessories pushing on the calipers and causing a similar loss.

Good point. I'm stock however I do have alum a-arm guards on but I don't see how those could be "pushing" on the caliper but I'll have to look closer. If the arm guards are effecting this wouldn't it have started right away? they have been on the machine since day one. Dealer pretty much just told me they would start by bleeding the brakes. Why would I suddenly get air in the system? What makes this really tough to trouble shoot is that its somewhat intermittent.
Hey by the way the reverse light harness worked great.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Good point. I'm stock however I do have alum a-arm guards on but I don't see how those could be "pushing" on the caliper but I'll have to look closer. If the arm guards are effecting this wouldn't it have started right away? they have been on the machine since day one. Dealer pretty much just told me they would start by bleeding the brakes. Why would I suddenly get air in the system? What makes this really tough to trouble shoot is that its somewhat intermittent.
Hey by the way the reverse light harness worked great.
Idk.
Not sure who it was. But there have been 1 or 2 conversations about guards and brake loss.

I'm about to replace my lines with steel ones. I dread bleeding them.

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Idk.
Not sure who it was. But there have been 1 or 2 conversations about guards and brake loss.

The arm guards will push against the plastic caliper protector when the suspension is under load and turning causing the caliper to open a little. you can remove the plastic protector very quickly to check and see if this is the issue. Happened on mine and took me a while to figure out. I ended up trimming the plastic protector down and that fixed it for all but the most flexed positions.

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This time of year it could be condensation in the fluid. Had an old Jeep that the front lines would freeze up giving me near zero brakes. Do a complete over-kill bleeding. Push an entire quart thru the system.

J

JTW

Also, I’ve had mine do this before.. check your brake fluid level, bleed the brakes and check that all the fittings are not seeping. Do you have a parking brake you leave engaged?

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

If those A-arm guards are not Honda accessory ones, that would be the first thing I'd remove and see if the issue dissapeared.

It's a bad enough problem that Honda has posted technical articles several times about the issue.

P1K brake issues are not a known problem I've ever ran into.

Reactions: Mudwing
H

HondaTech

Idk.

Honestly it's no worse than a car, even the I4wd models bleed like normal.

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!