BOX1

P1000 2018 P1K5LE / I4WD Review

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I have had my P1K-5LE for about 3.5 years now. Approaching 9K miles. The I-4WD has not ever been an issue and has taken me everywhere I wanted to go and a few places I shouldn't have been. During the course of ownership I have bent a handful of tie rods (4 or 5) all because of driver in attention or aggressive driving for the terrain involved. I am on my 3rd set of brake pads getting about 3200 miles of of each set, and on my 3rd set of tires. No other repairs have been needed due to breakdowns.

So with that I will continue to enjoy my #junkasshonda until I decide to replace it with another one.

View attachment 279891
Damn I get about 800 miles on my brake pads! Which I ride down the mountain sides and in a bunch of rocks but dang that's a long time for brake pads lol

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Damn I get about 800 miles on my brake pads! Which I ride down the mountain sides and in a bunch of rocks but dang that's a long time for brake pads lol
Use the engine braking not the pedal /pads, manually override the gear with the paddles to control decent speeds.

sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
I will de drive a fair bit in snow, and I worry about i4wd... a lot of spinning meaning that the brakes would work fairly hard.

I know with my (GM) truck, if I am in a significant amount of snow, I used 4WD mode, not auto, and turn off traction control. Otherwise you can hear the ABS being applied, and the power keeps cutting as ECM senses the slippage.

After reading this thread, I realize that i4WD is different than traction control and auto mode, so I am less worried about it. The fact that the ECM won't cut any power like TC, the rear does stay locked, make me feel better.

I do wonder about the situation within a foot of snow, going in a straight line, where normally all 4 tires would be throwing snow, if i4WD will be smart enough to just keep power to all 4, or if it will be trying to solve the issue by applying brakes to left and right front wheels back and forth. But I haven't read this complaint anywhere, so sounds like it is smart enough to handle it.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I will de drive a fair bit in snow, and I worry about i4wd... a lot of spinning meaning that the brakes would work fairly hard.

I know with my (GM) truck, if I am in a significant amount of snow, I used 4WD mode, not auto, and turn off traction control. Otherwise you can hear the ABS being applied, and the power keeps cutting as ECM senses the slippage.

After reading this thread, I realize that i4WD is different than traction control and auto mode, so I am less worried about it. The fact that the ECM won't cut any power like TC, the rear does stay locked, make me feel better.

I do wonder about the situation within a foot of snow, going in a straight line, where normally all 4 tires would be throwing snow, if i4WD will be smart enough to just keep power to all 4, or if it will be trying to solve the issue by applying brakes to left and right front wheels back and forth. But I haven't read this complaint anywhere, so sounds like it is smart enough to handle it.
I'll stick with my P1 Deluxe, thank you.

Reactions: ODAMO and Lady01
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll stick with my LE I - 4WD, thank you!
As @JACKAL said it goes everywhere I want and probably places I shouldn't have. Never an issue with it.
They get around in deep snow as good as everything else OEM. The common problem with both is the Pioneer will float on the belly pan in really deep snow, then it makes no difference which drive train. That's a clearance - weight issue.
I've ridden with and driven both.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'll stick with my LE I - 4WD, thank you!
As @JACKAL said it goes everywhere I want and probably places I shouldn't have. Never an issue with it.
They get around in deep snow as good as everything else OEM. The common problem with both is the Pioneer will float on the belly pan in really deep snow, then it makes no difference which drive train. That's a clearance - weight issue.
I've ridden with and driven both.
I'm at almost 12,000 miles on this machine still loving it.

C

Carl sharp

Jun 27, 2022
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-3

I don't understand why honda doest explain the I-4wd better. It's like they are trying to make it sound way more complicated then it is. The I-4wd is not a open differential. It has a locker differential that is similar to a lunch box ratcheting locker. In most situations the locker does its job as long as both tires have traction for this the I-4wd is not needed. When the I-4wd comes in to play is when tire loses substantial traction like (wheel in the air or one on ice etc) the wheel becomes a run away and the i4WD applies the brake to slow the wheel down to the speed of the wheel that has traction so the cam and pin align so the locker can lock back up. Very simple and is used very little so it's not hard on brakes. I personally believe for most owners the locking differential (i4WD) would be the best of both worlds

sheamus

sheamus

Supporting Member
Oct 8, 2021
Bridgewater, NS
Ownership

1. Looking to buy

2. 1000-5
the i4WD applies the brake to slow the wheel down to the speed of the wheel that has traction so the cam and pin align so the locker can lock back up.

If this is the case that is pretty cool. I have always understood it to be that the rear locker was engaged in i4wd, and instead of a front locker, it just used abs on the spinning (run-away) front tire causing the diff to apply the power to the non-spinning wheel to even the speed out.

Reactions: toddvdh
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 P1K5 LE and that's my understanding as well.
And ditto on the belly float problem in deep snow. The skid plates help you bobsled on top and it doesn't matter what 4wd system you have, you're going to have to shovel, winch or both to get out.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I don't understand why honda doest explain the I-4wd better. It's like they are trying to make it sound way more complicated then it is. The I-4wd is not a open differential. It has a locker differential that is similar to a lunch box ratcheting locker. In most situations the locker does its job as long as both tires have traction for this the I-4wd is not needed. When the I-4wd comes in to play is when tire loses substantial traction like (wheel in the air or one on ice etc) the wheel becomes a run away and the i4WD applies the brake to slow the wheel down to the speed of the wheel that has traction so the cam and pin align so the locker can lock back up. Very simple and is used very little so it's not hard on brakes. I personally believe for most owners the locking differential (i4WD) would be the best of both worlds
Welcome From the State of Big Getch, Michigan!

I have 21’ Talon X2, first time with i4wd and so far its been a learning curve but not bad. Some day I may put a locker in it. The locker has served me well in my 16’ Pioneer.
If u need any help, why dont hesitate to ask!
Have a fantastic day!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Welcome From the State of Big Getch, Michigan!

I have 21’ Talon X2, first time with i4wd and so far its been a learning curve but not bad. Some day I may put a locker in it. The locker has served me well in my 16’ Pioneer.
If u need any help, why dont hesitate to ask!
Have a fantastic day!
Suck up!

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
To clarify I4WD, IS NOT TRACTION CONTROL it is exactly the opposite. The I4WD system uses brake force application to increase traction, if a wheel spins rather than cut power like traction control it applies braking only to the spinning wheel forcing more power to the wheels with traction to get over or through an obstacle. The only way power is reduced is if the driver backs off the pedal, no dummy override.

Forget everything you know about traction control in cars this is a completely different technology for off road use.

It works just like BLD on Jeep Wranglers. No throttle intervention at all, which is hard to do with a cable operated throttle

Reactions: Smitty335
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great description

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thru the use of the brakes it equalizes wheel speed across an axle side to side utilizing the wheel speed sensors

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@CarolSharp, many are pleased with the I4WD in stock form, I sit a in no seat to judge, have fun and by all means be safe !

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!