Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That’s partial detail. That’s what it does, how it decides to do it is the detail missing.
Computer programming doing its thing depending on; throttle position, speed, engine load, steering angle, to determine the difference in rotation of the wheels from left to right in different scenarios. I believe it can tell if you are trying to make a tight turn or if a wheel is spinning due to loss of traction, but in any case it accounts for many variables and adapts on the fly based on its programming in the ECM.

Reactions: Lady01 and jawquin
sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My question is: Should you ever move the lever from i4WD?

I mean, is it otherwise in turf mode or 2wd?

Reactions: Lady01
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So in my mind it’s working like a skid steer.. so I can’t grasp how it doesn’t wear the brakes. I can certainly see the advantage to driving it and how it performs vs a locked diff but it’s just too smart for me.

Been mulling over how to explain this as I understand it in a manner relative to technology people are used to. First the I4WD is designed specifically for the P1K in an off road environment so to try to compare it to Traction Control or Antilock Braking Systems in on road applications is truly Apple's to Oranges. Those two technologies are to help make a vehicle safer to operate for let's say inexperienced drivers. Traction control cuts the power to avoid unecesarry wheel spin that could cause loss of control. ABS rapidly pulsates the brake calipers to avoid locking up the tires and prevent loss of control. Both a safety measure, to keep peddle mashers alive.

I4WD is a technology to enhance off road driving experience by ensuring maximum traction and applied power goes to the wheels that can use the power. Somewhat opposite of ABS that keeps a wheel from stopping rotation the I4WD detects your forward motion, throttle position, and differentiation in wheel speed. If momentum is being lost while power is still being applied and one side of the tires are spinning faster(due to lack of traction) the system applies brakes to the faster spinning side so power is directed to the slower wheels that have traction to keep momentum going. There is a bunch of things being monitored and calculated to make all this happen seamlessly by the ECM it's simply a matter of programming and using input off the master cylinder to apply braking in a manner the ECM is interpreting the readings.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

I mean, is it otherwise in turf mode or 2wd?
If I am on gravel, hardpack etc. I will just use 2WD, if its steep terrain, muddy, etc. I will use I4WD.

Essentially use 2WD just like on the regular P1K's and use I4WD where you would use 4WD & 4WD Lock on the regular P1K's. No need to over think it.

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So you never use turf?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
So you never use turf?
Only if trying to maneuver in my building to park, I don't have grass on the mountain so nothing to avoid tearing up turf wise.

I suppose if I wanted to do a Polaris Ranger to Pioneer shootout video to "demonstrate power" I could use turf mode to tear ass up doing donuts on smooth concrete. You can go like hell in circles with power to one wheel. :p

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I drive on hard packed gravel roads I use Turf mode, If I'm going down a steep incline or up a ledge or loose terrain I use 2wd for more even traction. I f I need low I normally shift to I4wd at the same time. After I clear the obstacle I shift back to H2wd

J

JTW

Been mulling over how to explain this as I understand it in a manner relative to technology people are used to. First the I4WD is designed specifically for the P1K in an off road environment so to try to compare it to Traction Control or Antilock Braking Systems in on road applications is truly Apple's to Oranges. Those two technologies are to help make a vehicle safer to operate for let's say inexperienced drivers. Traction control cuts the power to avoid unecesarry wheel spin that could cause loss of control. ABS rapidly pulsates the brake calipers to avoid locking up the tires and prevent loss of control. Both a safety measure, to keep peddle mashers alive.

I4WD is a technology to enhance off road driving experience by ensuring maximum traction and applied power goes to the wheels that can use the power. Somewhat opposite of ABS that keeps a wheel from stopping rotation the I4WD detects your forward motion, throttle position, and differentiation in wheel speed. If momentum is being lost while power is still being applied and one side of the tires are spinning faster(due to lack of traction) the system applies brakes to the faster spinning side so power is directed to the slower wheels that have traction to keep momentum going. There is a bunch of things being monitored and calculated to make all this happen seamlessly by the ECM it's simply a matter of programming and using input off the master cylinder to apply braking in a manner the ECM is interpreting the readings.
Pretty cool... last night as I was darting here and there in the snow and ice I thought about you and your i4wd.. running the highway at 50mph obviously isn’t a situation I want to use 4 lock in.. but 4H just wasn’t quite getting it.. (and I did not use 4lock) but made due with just giving it throttle to pull thru. It was one of those situations where I could really see the advantage of the I4wd system. We all had issues so it wasn’t just the Honda or the tires or blah blah blah... it was just freaking slick.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I mean, is it otherwise in turf mod
Pretty cool... last night as I was darting here and there in the snow and ice I thought about you and your i4wd.. running the highway at 50mph obviously isn’t a situation I want to use 4 lock in.. but 4H just wasn’t quite getting it.. (and I did not use 4lock) but made due with just giving it throttle to pull thru. It was one of those situations where I could really see the advantage of the I4wd system. We all had issues so it wasn’t just the Honda or the tires or blah blah blah... it was just freaking slick.
I understand this is completely different but in the great white North here ive had problems with the polaris and canam 4wd systems. Going across a frozen lake when the popo on demand would kick in and out it would cause a spin out. Same with canned ham my 800xt would kick in the dead front tire and it very easily could send you in a spin. Food for thought my pioneer works great in 3wd. On the i4wd i would think it would be suttle enough i hope

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I understand this is completely different but in the great white North here ive had problems with the polaris and canam 4wd systems. Going across a frozen lake when the popo on demand would kick in and out it would cause a spin out. Same with canned ham my 800xt would kick in the dead front tire and it very easily could send you in a spin. Food for thought my pioneer works great in 3wd. On the i4wd i would think it would be suttle enough i hope

You got me there, ice don't get thick enough for me to get my fat ass out on it let alone a $20K machine that might break through.

Save that crap for ice road truckers.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only time I saw @Tramguage1 struggle with his LE was very slow technical crawling. The brain of the LE couldn’t switch fast enough to detect which front tire to spin. EVERYWHERE else The LE was superior to my 2016 1k5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I believe Honda has a winner on thier hands once people get to experience this setup. My only concern is over long term I4WD maintenance, if any, it's takes electronics and additional braking to make it work it's majic. Only time will tell, but to this point I am completely satisfied with the performance of this setup. I will give an update again once I hit 1000 miles this summer, but I like it so far and would buy it again.

2000 mile update, My 2018 P1K5LE sporting the I-4WD system has exceeded my expectations for trail handling manners, especially turning effort ( or lack thereof compared to the regular 4WD & 4WD Lock modes of sister models) it makes tight maneuvering in low traction conditions a breeze. Now haveing rolled past the 2000 miles mark in 8 months everything has and is working as expected from a Honda. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. My initial post hinted at would there be any marked difference in increased maintenance for brake pads, etc. due to the nature of of how I-4WD system works. In that it uses braking force to induce traction to a non spinning wheel by applying braking force to the wheel spinning without traction. I am happy to report I have seen no increase in brake pad wear, still on my factory set of pads at 2000 miles. Comparably my 2016 P1K5D had worn out its first set completely at approximately the 1800 mile mark.

The only increase in maintenance cost I have experienced is the LE differentials are larger than the other P1K models and thus hold approximately 15% more fluid, which is actually a good thing in my opinion.

The overall performance and handling of this machine has met my every expectation and in 4WD situations has surprised me at how effortlessly it tackles technical terrain while all the electronic and mechanical I-4WD system does its magic without giving it a second thought.

I suffered through all the teething pains the first year P1K models experienced first hand, so I can speak from a rounded perspective of what to expect, well HONDA has seemingly gotten things right with the evolution of refinements in 3 model years. So if you are on the fence about if the LE versions I-4WD system works and is trouble free, I can say yes to both accounts. All my riding is in steep mountanous terrain with mud and a lot of rocks to contend with. My machine is still all stock including tires which are wearing very well not to mention have performed great on a wide variety of terrain. My only additions to the LE has been a roof, and winch.

I eagerly await the release of the next HONDA SXS models to see what they have come up with. Just like the old tag line from decades ago.

Screenshot 20180924 070832 Chrome

Picture was taken yesterday on Paiute Trail 77 in Marysvale UT during our Pioneers on the Paiute ride.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Will i4w cause any issues with tracks? I'm looking for p1000 and found LE model. I want to install 4s1 camso tracks and want 4wd all the time. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I finally got to take the LE out for a proper ride yesterday. Brought it home on 12/21 but between weather and being gone had not taken it out on trails yet. Many have asked and are curious about the I4WD performance compared to the regular 4WD & 4WD Lock modes of all the other P1K's. For comparisons I have had a 2016 P1K5D with about 2500 miles on it and have used every drive mode considerably on the 2016.

Yesterday's ride was very muddy and icy as it finally got above freezing (47 degrees) for the first time in 2 weeks, things were really getting soft.

The very first observation of the I4WD is the lack of steering feedback that causes the other models to "hop" or push when turning in 4WD lock. The I4WD system turns seemingly just as tight as 2WD lock with the same light feel of the steering wheel, no rigidity in turning.

During a 50 mile run in mud about a foot deep, to slick rock steep inclines, to thick icy patches in the shaded trail sections the I4WD system performed perfectly, there was no observed delay in getting both front tires to grip and pull in several scenarios that I would likely use 4WD Lock in with my 2016 model. Overall it really is a set it and forget it system that requires no change in driving style or stopping to engage a lock after a failed attempt.

For someone not familiar with off-roading this can be a much more confidence inspiring experience, just drive through it. I also noticed a more comfortable ride not only from the Fox Shocks but with the noticeably thicker seating foam compared to a 2016 model.

I believe Honda has a winner on their hands once people get to experience this setup. My only concern is over long term I4WD maintenance, if any, it's takes electronics and additional braking to make it work it's magic. Only time will tell, but to this point I am completely satisfied with the performance of this setup. I will give an update again once I hit 1000 miles this summer, but I like it so far and would buy it again.

Well I have had my P1K-5LE for about 3.5 years now. Approaching 9K miles. The I-4WD has not ever been an issue and has taken me everywhere I wanted to go and a few places I shouldn't have been. During the course of ownership I have bent a handful of tie rods (4 or 5) all because of driver in-attention or aggressive driving for the terrain involved. I am on my 3rd set of brake pads getting about 3200 miles of of each set, and on my 3rd set of tires. No other repairs have been needed due to breakdowns.

So with that I will continue to enjoy my #junkasshonda until I decide to replace it with another one.

P1KLE Odometer

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!