2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor

J

JTW

I'm planning on hauling my P500 in the bed and towing a 5k lb travel trailer. I typically don't go more than 150 miles in any direction. Trips would be less than half a dozen a year. At around 8k lbs total, it's just beyond my comfort level with a half-ton.

The rest of the time I would be commuting 15 miles one way to work on a rural highway. I average around 12k miles a year.

A half-ton gasser with the quad cab and short bed worked great 90% of the time.

I just don't see how spending an extra $9k for a diesel would ever net a return in mileage, especially considering the extra $.10 a gallon fuel costs plus maintenance costs.

I averaged 17mpg with the hemi with a lift and bigger tires. Even if the diesel averages 4mpg better in daily driving, that's a cost savings of $311 a year in fuel.

Divided by just the extra $9k cost of the diesel, I would have to drive it for 39 years to get my money back.

My dad has an `05 or `06 Chevy 1-ton dually with the Duramax. At around 120k miles, it lost an injector and a head gasket. Shopped around for a shop to do the work and the best deal he got was $10k. All he pulls is a 30' RV to Arizona and back twice a year. He averages 12mpg.

He won't buy another diesel.
Put on a set of bags and you’d be fine in the 1/2 ton f150.. but that’s your call. The conditions you’re talking about are almost exactly why I went the f150 route myself with Max tow package and I added bags. Only I’m putting closer to 30k a year on mine and pulling half dozen times a year. You’re not going to make up the money chasing milage on the diesel, particularly short tripping it. But It’s the resale where you’ll see your money again. And the whole experience while towing in between is why you do it. And as far as your dad’s experience, I would never buy a Chevy diesel.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That is impressive, I hadn’t heard of people getting those numbers, people locally hadn’t said that high.That would be fine for a daily driver

His numbers are very believable to me, I’ve seen it dozens of times with a coworker I used to travel with. That 5.7 got great mileage. He gets better than that above in his Ram 1500. His life average is around 24mpg in a 2014 crew cab 2wd. He has confirmed its with in 1 mpg of the digital several times I’ve rode with him. The truck is all stock and he drives like gramps because ....well he is a gramps.

My f150 crew cab 4x4 lifted on 35’s got 18.9 Monday and Tuesday which was 704 miles total for those two days. That’s about the same setup as he mentioned his about his Ram. I had no trailer but a bed full and rear cab had more tools. I drove conservative Monday and had it over 20mpg then had to drive through ATL so the 80mph interstate speed dropped it by the time I got home.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
His numbers are very believable to me, I’ve seen it dozens of times with a coworker I used to travel with. That 5.7 got great mileage. He gets better than that above in his Ram 1500. His life average is around 24mpg in a 2014 crew cab 2wd. He has confirmed its with in 1 mpg of the digital several times I’ve rode with him. The truck is all stock and he drives like gramps because ....well he is a gramps.

My f150 crew cab 4x4 lifted on 35’s got 18.9 Monday and Tuesday which was 704 miles total for those two days. That’s about the same setup as he mentioned his about his Ram. I had no trailer but a bed full and rear cab had more tools. I drove conservative Monday and had it over 20mpg then had to drive through ATL so the 80mph interstate speed dropped it by the time I got home.
Honestly I’ve only known a few people to own a hemi and neither got near that. But no one around here really commutes over about 15 miles so even daily drivers get most of the miles either in town or going into the hills with some kind of load. I do assume elsewhere numbers are different.
I don’t know many that get 15 even. Personally my commute is 5 mi in town but there’s only a couple lights and over 1/2 my trip is 45mph plus going to work at 5:30 then coming home at 2pm there’s no traffic. So I’m lucky to get what I do in the truck when I take it. Otherwise I’m on the highway at 80 with sxs in back or on dirt roads, it doesn’t really ever see empty cruising.

Last edited:
R

rickoshea

thought i'd revive this thread.i'm thinking of buying a new truck as a retirement gift because i deserve it.i'm looking at the power wagon if i decide to sell my truck camper.i haven't used it since we bought the lake house.if i keep it i'm looking at the superduty tremor package.i found 1 powerwagon and zero tremors so far.never had a problem finding the truck i wanted till now.love the locking diffs in the ram,love the godzilla v8 in the superduty.diesels add 10k to the msrp so that's out and can't get one in the power wagon even if i wanted one.love to hear from you guys that drive either one.i currently have a ram 2500 with all kinds of add ons.it's actually worse than a side by side for accessories.it got a bit crazy and i had to stop spending $$ on it.

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
thought i'd revive this thread.i'm thinking of buying a new truck as a retirement gift because i deserve it.i'm looking at the power wagon if i decide to sell my truck camper.i haven't used it since we bought the lake house.if i keep it i'm looking at the superduty tremor package.i found 1 powerwagon and zero tremors so far.never had a problem finding the truck i wanted till now.love the locking diffs in the ram,love the godzilla v8 in the superduty.diesels add 10k to the msrp so that's out and can't get one in the power wagon even if i wanted one.love to hear from you guys that drive either one.i currently have a ram 2500 with all kinds of add ons.it's actually worse than a side by side for accessories.it got a bit crazy and i had to stop spending $$ on it.
There is some good info on TFLtruck.com web and YouTube channels from them and Tremor owners. The 7.3 Godzilla seems to be a good engine but owners have mentioned 9-11 mpg max with any kind of load and routine driving. TFL did a towing loop with 7500 lbs and got like 6mpg with 7.3 gas and 13 mpg with the diesel. Depending upon how much and often you intend to tow.. I hear ya on the $10k add for the diesel plus all the additional maintenance costs to keep it purring.

I'm currently looking for a F150 after having 3 SuperDuty trucks. The F150 can tow 13,900 with max tow and the 3.5 v6, my only trailer now is 9k loaded with 3 SXS so going that route. I took a 21 Lariat for a 70 mile test drive and average 22 mpg through TN mountains. They will even have a F150 Tremor trim level later this summer.

Unless you really want the 3/4 ton for 14k + towing might look at other options. After 600k miles with the SD diesel, I thought I would miss it but I do not, especially the preventative maintenance costs.

If I were going to tow 10K+ regularly and long distance though, the HD trucks with a diesel engine are probably the best investment.

Last edited:
R

rickoshea

There is some good info on TFLtruck.com web and YouTube channels from them and Tremor owners. The 7.3 Godzilla seems to be a good engine but owners have mentioned 9-11 mpg max with any kind of load and routine driving. TFL did a towing loop with 7500 lbs and got like 6mpg with 7.3 gas and 13 mpg with the diesel. Depending upon how much and often you intend to tow.. I hear ya on the $10k add for the diesel plus all the additional maintenance costs to keep it purring.

I'm currently looking for a F150 after having 3 SuperDuty trucks. The F150 can tow 13,900 with max tow and the 3.5 v6, my only trailer now is 9k loaded with 3 SXS so going that route. I took a 21 Lariat for a 70 mile test drive and average 22 mpg through TN mountains. They will even have a F150 Tremor trim level later this summer.

Unless you really want the 3/4 ton for 14k + towing might look at other options. After 600k miles with the SD diesel, I thought I would miss it but I do not, especially the preventative maintenance costs.

If I were going to tow 10K+ regularly and long distance though, the HD trucks with a diesel engine are probably the best investment.
i watched most of the videos.hoping to hear from real owners on how they like/dislike them.as for 1/2 tons,no.i need something that will last a couple decades and that means superduty/heavy duty.the halftons are tempting,i can fully load one out for the same price as a mid level superduty but i know from past expierience that i will run it into the ground in no time.the winter conditions and roads up here are not optimal for pavement queens.heated seats,heated steering and a block heater are essential as well 😅 ,not to mention the factory lift for the deep snow.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
i watched most of the videos.hoping to hear from real owners on how they like/dislike them.as for 1/2 tons,no.i need something that will last a couple decades and that means superduty/heavy duty.the halftons are tempting,i can fully load one out for the same price as a mid level superduty but i know from past expierience that i will run it into the ground in no time.the winter conditions and roads up here are not optimal for pavement queens.heated seats,heated steering and a block heater are essential as well 😅 ,not to mention the factory lift for the deep snow.
Sounds like if cold weather and long term reliability are your goals that 7.3 gasser would fill the bill. Throw 37's on it and a tune from 5 star tuning and have at it.

R

rickoshea

Sounds like if cold weather and long term reliability are your goals that 7.3 gasser would fill the bill. Throw 37's on it and a tune from 5 star tuning and have at it.
that's the plan.i have a chevy impala and the wife has a new mazda cx5 awd as our daily drivers.why the powerwagon went with 33's i don't know.i figure i have a few months to make up my mind and pick one or the other.then i can start pulling acc.'s off the ram before i trade it or give it to one of my boys.

Last edited:
R

rickoshea

found out yesterday my power wagon is on the train and should be here by months end.my dealer got my order in just in time,apparently there is a huge backlog on orders due to the lack of computer chips and the trucks are trickling out of the factories now.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
found out yesterday my power wagon is on the train and should be here by months end.my dealer got my order in just in time,apparently there is a huge backlog on orders due to the lack of computer chips and the trucks are trickling out of the factories now.
All this and you went with another Dodge? 🤨 You said you needed something to last you decades 🤣

R

rickoshea

All this and you went with another Dodge? 🤨 You said you needed something to last you decades 🤣
after all this what? my current current ram 2500 has been a workhorse and is still going strong after almost a decade,so sh!t on ram all you want,i know it's a good truck.Ford over Ram is the stupidest argument the internet has going.but hey,whatever floats your boat.:)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
after all this what? my current current ram 2500 has been a workhorse and is still going strong after almost a decade,so sh!t on ram all you want,i know it's a good truck.Ford over Ram is the stupidest argument the internet has going.but hey,whatever floats your boat.:)
Ok bro! No need to get your panties in a wad! Just like all my ram friends Geeze! Lmfao

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hay, BTW I was just busting your balls cuz u were all about the Tremor on a Tremor thread and went Dodge. Thats what i was sayin ,no big deal. You can choose what u want its a free country right? We at least in the US for now! Hope it stays that way.

Also if you didnt now? I do live where all the BiG 3 are designed and most manufactured and i live on the same road M52 10 miles from the Chrysler proving grounds. I see alot of Ram trucks,jeeps, (owned a new 13’ jeep wrangler for 5 yrs unfortunately) cars and Fiat Vehicles daly from there. I know there just testing most but 1/2 are production vehicles and I see alot broke down on the road getting loaded with there flat beds than the average joe wants to see. Plus our crappy salt always rots there wheel walls within the first 5 yrs. Euther way there a nice looking truck dont get me wrong, but when u live where i live and see what i see! Well...you understand lol.
Good luck with your new truck 👍 🍻

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Think I'll buy a Ram 2500 Diesel and a KRX the same day! I'm not kidding!

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wh
Hay, BTW I was just busting your balls cuz u were all about the Tremor on a Tremor thread and went Dodge. Thats what i was sayin ,no big deal. You can choose what u want its a free country right? We at least in the US for now! Hope it stays that way.

Also if you didnt now? I do live where all the BiG 3 are designed and most manufactured and i live on the same road M52 10 miles from the Chrysler proving grounds. I see alot of Ram trucks,jeeps, (owned a new 13’ jeep wrangler for 5 yrs unfortunately) cars and Fiat Vehicles daly from there. I know there just testing most but 1/2 are production vehicles and I see alot broke down on the road getting loaded with there flat beds than the average joe wants to see. Plus our crappy salt always rots there wheel walls within the first 5 yrs. Euther way there a nice looking truck dont get me wrong, but when u live where i live and see what i see! Well...you understand lol.
Good luck with your new truck 👍
Who bought a Ram?

Reactions: Remington
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like mine, this is the 2nd Ram I’ve purchased and so far it’s been great. I upgraded from a 2015 Ram 1500. This was the last load I hauled with mine and it was no issue, pulled it like a champ. I think they are better trucks since Fiat bought them but I still like my Fords as well.

CFCF1D8B 5422 4664 8508 68EFCB10283C
4D11BECE 367B 43EE 9B52 98F1B19FABC8

R

rickoshea

Good luck with your new truck 👍 🍻
well,i'm on new truck #9 now.i buy my trucks for what my current needs are at the time,and right now i need a heavy duty with softer sprung suspension.my cargo/pulling days are behind me.and a 1/2 ton would be dead in less than 5 years up here.it's not environmentally friendly to any vehicle.winter is brutal here. we test drove a p/w and an f250 lariat,couldn't find an F250 Tremor unit anywhere. and man,what a difference.the wife did not like the ride in the ford.and the ram is waaay nicer in the cab. my build sheet is 3 pages long. 😆 i ordered everything.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
well,i'm on new truck #9 now.i buy my trucks for what my current needs are at the time,and right now i need a heavy duty with softer sprung suspension.my cargo/pulling days are behind me.and a 1/2 ton would be dead in less than 5 years up here.it's not environmentally friendly to any vehicle.winter is brutal here. we test drove a p/w and an f250 lariat,couldn't find an F250 Tremor unit anywhere. and man,what a difference.the wife did not like the ride in the ford.and the ram is waaay nicer in the cab. my build sheet is 3 pages long. 😆 i ordered everything.
Thats cool man, deffenatly get what suits your needs. You need to be happy. Funny your wife said that lol. We have a friend that is a chief executive at Chrysler at the proving grounds and has offerd countless times her executive discount to me witch is far better than my Ford emplyee A Plan i get.So we went and drove the Ram. Like i said the truck looks good. My wife said the doors looked thin compaired to the ford and the dash had too much cheap plastic lmao. As nice as the truck looked exterior imo i just couldnt pull myself to buy a Ram after what i see and hear from our friend. I suck with my Platinum F350 diesel over the Ram longhorn cummins. Our friend said that brand loyalty is the hardest thing they fight with.

Reactions: Russ989

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!