P500 26" or 27" ??

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That's a good looking P5 right there, nice work Jeep!

Thanks, I can’t take the credit though, previous owner spent all the cash to accessorize. Only thing I’ve done is replace the shocks and put some boxes on bed(not pictured)

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
27" Tusk Terrabite radials on 4+3 ITPs here, we ride a lot of hard trails & sand, these do perform better than I expected in the mud.View attachment 68561
may I ask a question which may make you experienced guys roll your eyes....but I am new and naïve......is there any noticeable change in "tippiness" with the larger tires?............I think the center of gravity is already rather high, but there would be two opposing forces at work with the larger tires......yes, the COG of the machine itself is higher, but the increased weight of the tires could offset that to some or a full extent....I would appreciate any comments from those who have went with larger tires.....

Reactions: rocmar
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
may I ask a question which may make you experienced guys roll your eyes....but I am new and naïve......is there any noticeable change in "tippiness" with the larger tires?............I think the center of gravity is already rather high, but there would be two opposing forces at work with the larger tires......yes, the COG of the machine itself is higher, but the increased weight of the tires could offset that to some or a full extent....I would appreciate any comments from those who have went with larger tires.....
I always hear guys say the P5 is tippy but I haven't found that to be the case....yet. I only put about 100 miles on the stock tires/wheels before I swapped out for different rubber. I went with a 5+2 wheel when I did which gives it a wider stance and makes it more stable, going from the stock 24" to 27"....3" bigger only raises the machine by 1.5", not a big difference in my opinion. FWIW, I also disconnected my rear sway bar when the new tires went on, still seems to be a stable rig for where we ride.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I'm 58". Wide. 26"× 12" × 11" in rear
26×12×9....front.. 2" spacers..all around
.....if I had it.
To do over...I'd go 28"x12" x 9"...
with a little more..Aggression Tread
On all corners..
everybody's riding style...&
....terrain is different. ..
tipped mine over...as stock..
& like it is now...

Reactions: trigger and Twangin
U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
I always hear guys say the P5 is tippy but I haven't found that to be the case....yet. I only put about 100 miles on the stock tires/wheels before I swapped out for different rubber. I went with a 5+2 wheel when I did which gives it a wider stance and makes it more stable, going from the stock 24" to 27"....3" bigger only raises the machine by 1.5", not a big difference in my opinion. FWIW, I also disconnected my rear sway bar when the new tires went on, still seems to be a stable rig for where we ride.
thanks....I read you as saying the P5 did not seem tippy with the stock tires, and does not seem tippy now with the larger wheels...that's pretty much what I expected given the increased tire weight offsetting the added height.........what does a 5+2 wheel mean? can you still get through 50" gates on the trail?

T

Texas_Newfie

Apr 5, 2017
Katy Texas
Ownership

1. 500
Go with 28s ;)

IMG 3417
IMG 3416

Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
I spent about 120 miles on stock tires and never had a single moment where it felt “tippy”.. That being said, I don’t drive fast very often and I live close to the east cost, so no mountainous terrain. But even when in off-cambered situations or slinging the back end around in a curve I still never felt unsafe.

Now I have 28x10x12 zillas on all corners with a 5+2 wheel and still notice absolutely zero tippy-ness. Like you, I was worried about this issue given the amount of reports on tippy-ness but decided that for my riding style it just wasn’t going to be an issue even if the new setup turned out to be tippy. I’m really glad I went with the taller setup in the 28’s!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
thanks....I read you as saying the P5 did not seem tippy with the stock tires, and does not seem tippy now with the larger wheels...that's pretty much what I expected given the increased tire weight offsetting the added height.........what does a 5+2 wheel mean? can you still get through 50" gates on the trail?
I made a mistake earlier, my wheels are 4+3 so they sit out a bit wider, I highly doubt I'd get through a 50" gate but we don't have them around here so I've never measured my actual width. I'd guess 53" or so, might be able to measure this weekend if you'd like.

The 5+2 or 4+3 is the offset, both are 7" wide wheels. For example on a 4+3, from the inboard edge of the wheel to the mounting flange is 4" and outboard edge is 3" from the mounting flange. So a 4+3 will stick out 1" further than a 5+2 and make the machine 2" wider overall.

T

Texas_Newfie

Apr 5, 2017
Katy Texas
Ownership

1. 500
what does a 5+2 wheel mean? can you still get through 50" gates on the trail?

5+2 rim = 7in wide rim. 5in from inner edge to mating surface, 2in from outer edge to mating surface. 4+ 3 is similar but sticks out 1in further than 5+2 (2in overall wider stance)

Stock wheels are 4.5+1.5 if I'm not mistaken. A 5+2 rim sticks out 0.5 in further per side than stock rims (1in overall wider stance). I don't think this makes them stick out wider than the widest part of the body, so you should still be good for the 50in trails.

52 offset

Reactions: Stoney
advertisement
sam3006

sam3006

Dec 28, 2014
Damascus, AR
Ownership

1. 500
Bought mine in the summer of 2014, ran it a year with stock tires before upgrading to 26" big Horn Originals, I went with 14" MSA M20 Kore rims. Besides getting a lot better traction and higher clearance, that I was expecting, the better handling and stability was a very big bonus.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I went with AMS Slingshots 26x11x12 on all 4 corners with 5-2 Rims. Machine has never really felt tippy and in fact I drove it on a side hill (until I felt really uncomfortable), when I first got it and intentionally tried to pull it over by hand and it wasn’t even close to flopping.

The Slingshots have been an awesome tire 4000 Kms on them and only 1/2 done. I want radials and was thinking perhaps replacing them with Bear Claw HTRs in 27” when the time comes.

j

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
5+2 rim = 7in wide rim. 5in from inner edge to mating surface, 2in from outer edge to mating surface. 4+ 3 is similar but sticks out 1in further than 5+2 (2in overall wider stance)

Stock wheels are 4.5+1.5 if I'm not mistaken. A 5+2 rim sticks out 0.5 in further per side than stock rims (1in overall wider stance). I don't think this makes them stick out wider than the widest part of the body, so you should still be good for the 50in trails.

View attachment 72609
hahah........I am an old guy, and I kept looking at that picture in wonder at what I saw, until finally the right perspective snapped into place, and the drawing made sense......thanks for the explanation.......

Reactions: Gassygordo
D

Deleted member 3748

I did some "scientific" testing with tire sizes after I bought my 26" Rip Saws. If I went with 27" tires, my speedometer would be spot on.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I did some "scientific" testing with tire sizes after I bought my 26" Rip Saws. If I went with 27" tires, my speedometer would be spot on.

You are correct, I did some math after checking my speed with GPS with the original tires. After mounting the 27's I am within less than a half mph from speedo to gps

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
F

forfuninmb

Apr 30, 2018
Columbia SC
Ownership

1. 500
I used 12in rims and went with 27’s ITP Mega Meyham’s. My hunt club has some mud. I ordered them from www.2wheel.com. Great price and shipped to me in 2 days.

Upload 2018 8 14 22 48 34

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
First tires where bias ply as noted above AMS Slingshot tires in 26x11x12 fit true to size albeit 10.5” wide after mounting on 5-2 wheels. Awesome tire for all conditions and wear really well, would buy again if they were radials. 50% worn after 4000 Kms (3000 Miles).

Just purchased Kenda Bear Claw HTRs in 27x11x12 mounted on above rims. 54” wide on front and 53” on the rear. Mounted 10.5” wide with 5 psi air in them. Not ridden much but the ride is significantly different than the bias tires, by far smoother like instantly noticeable (even wife noticed right away...). I’m suprisingly impressed with so little Kms ridden so far. I recommend radials for sure, just for the ride improvement alone.

j

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!