P1000 3 alignments.

L

Landlord9000

Feb 10, 2018
Springfield, MO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
From reading on here, I learned our rigs come with a lot of toe out. Not knowing a whole lot, I set down 2 boards along the sides, and I could see it was toe out.

I attempted to adjust it to what I thought was neutral toe. That seemed to help make the steering faster. Then I put Terrabites on it, and we're out hooning along the back roads. I like taking corners on the edge of traction, and it's going well until.... Snap oversteer! Holy smokes did it come out fast.

I kept it on the road but it really scared me, from one second we're good to all of a sudden we're way too sideways at speed.

I noticed the terrabites have a centerline on them from the molding process. A buddy suggested rather than eyeballing things, measure center to center across the front and then back of the tire. 1.5 inches difference! Of toe in! Guess I went a bit too far on that one.

Played around a bit, got it to less than .5 inch of difference between front and rear of tire. Still a touch of toe in. Took it out this weekend, and it's a dream! The tail end comes out very smoothly and predictably now. I'm loving the new handling! Now we can pull nice drifts WOT in 5th, pull 6th on the corner exit and blast down that trail.

I'm really happy with the rig now.

B

Boss0144

Lifetime Member
Jan 25, 2018
Commerce Township, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From reading on here, I learned our rigs come with a lot of toe out. Not knowing a whole lot, I set down 2 boards along the sides, and I could see it was toe out.

I attempted to adjust it to what I thought was neutral toe. That seemed to help make the steering faster. Then I put Terrabites on it, and we're out hooning along the back roads. I like taking corners on the edge of traction, and it's going well until.... Snap oversteer! Holy smokes did it come out fast.

I kept it on the road but it really scared me, from one second we're good to all of a sudden we're way too sideways at speed.

I noticed the terrabites have a centerline on them from the molding process. A buddy suggested rather than eyeballing things, measure center to center across the front and then back of the tire. 1.5 inches difference! Of toe in! Guess I went a bit too far on that one.

Played around a bit, got it to less than .5 inch of difference between front and rear of tire. Still a touch of toe in. Took it out this weekend, and it's a dream! The tail end comes out very smoothly and predictably now. I'm loving the new handling! Now we can pull nice drifts WOT in 5th, pull 6th on the corner exit and blast down that trail.

I'm really happy with the rig now.

I don't know where to start with checking my alignment on this thing. I could really use a procedure. Not to mention my machine has been rolled, and I'm concerned that the whole think is catywampus (how do you spell that official term?). Anyone have a basic procedure I could try?

Thanks!!

Reactions: TripleB
O

oilslick

May 4, 2016
central illinois
I don't know where to start with checking my alignment on this thing. I could really use a procedure. Not to mention my machine has been rolled, and I'm concerned that the whole think is catywampus (how do you spell that official term?). Anyone have a basic procedure I could try?

Thanks!!
I used a john bean alignment machine to get measurements for toe and camber. It had heads that clamped to the tires.

L

Lzzaddack

Mar 1, 2019
wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the alignment shop do mine it was way out and most other angles that are not adjustable (yet) are all over the place in wierd directions on all 4 corners.

H

HondaTech

Straight forward will always make the machine dart at speed, we use to get people complain of tire wear on atvs when ridden on the road. They wanted to alignment set straight up and the machine would be impossible to keep straight on hard pack and blacktop.

I dont know what the secret for the Talon is for it to be ok at 0 toe. Maybe it's to make it steer faster and give the steering a sportier feel?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Straight forward will always make the machine dart at speed, we use to get people complain of tire wear on atvs when ridden on the road. They wanted to alignment set straight up and the machine would be impossible to keep straight on hard pack and blacktop.

I dont know what the secret for the Talon is for it to be ok at 0 toe. Maybe it's to make it steer faster and give the steering a sportier feel?
I wonder if straight up affects down hill control, in greasy conditions? We had a rain at the Take Over and my P1 was a handful descending the mountains?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I still think I’d be for 3/16” tow. Really don’t understand that calling for neutral. There has to be that much give at speed

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I still think I’d be for 3/16” tow. Really don’t understand that calling for neutral. There has to be that much give at speed
3/16 each side or 3/8 total, or 3/16 total?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
3/16 each side or 3/8 total, or 3/16 total?
I go 3/16 on everything. Except dirt bikes lol. Setting at 0 has always made them jumpy and wander a bit

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I go 3/16 on everything. Except dirt bikes lol. Setting at 0 has always made them jumpy and wander a bit
So 3/8 overall? Got Rooster at 1/8 overall, really got squirrley at the Take Over on the down mountain stuff in the slime, but I had bent a tie rod a few rides earlier and didn't notice it until I smelt hot rubber on the way back to camp on pavement, time for new skins! HA!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So 3/8 overall? Got Rooster at 1/8 overall, really got squirrley at the Take Over on the down mountain stuff in the slime, but I had bent a tie rod a few rides earlier and didn't notice it until I smelt hot rubber on the way back to camp on pavement, time for new skins! HA!
I meant 3/16 total. Just on all machines

Reactions: BigOL3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!