P500 30's?

J

JoJoFarms

Jan 1, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 500
Have you had it full turn and compressed yet and no rub?
Yes. I made sure of that before I left the dealer as I was going off of their word that the tires would not rub. I have SuperATV power steering as well. Idk if that makes a difference having more or less steering travel.

Reactions: Todd627
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yes. I made sure of that before I left the dealer as I was going off of their word that the tires would not rub. I have SuperATV power steering as well. Idk if that makes a difference having more or less steering travel.

No and I have the EZ Steer too. I've been looking at some tires that are true 28's, wouldn't want to spend that much and have them rub. You may want to consider stability over staying clean though, 28's on stock wheels and no spacers is kinda scary!

Reactions: Todd627
J

JoJoFarms

Jan 1, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 500
No and I have the EZ Steer too. I've been looking at some tires that are true 28's, wouldn't want to spend that much and have them rub. You may want to consider stability over staying clean though, 28's on stock wheels and no spacers is kinda scary!
Let me get measurements tomorrow. I sure don't want to be a newbie conveying bad information. I'll get more pics as well.

J

JoJoFarms

Jan 1, 2019
US
Ownership

1. 500
Well trigger I’m a day late on the info but the tires are sitting at 27.5” tall at 11 PSI. I checked for contact with the frame at a full compressed turn sitting still. If you could slide a couple sheets of paper in between the tire and frame I’d Be surprised. I did however drive it around the dealer lot and did not experience any rubbing. Here’s a pic.

3E922293 A104 4DE5 8100 BA5621A81D04

P

Pussyslayer

Mar 17, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
With 30s you would definitely need better clutch springs and you will be pretty gutless on the low end. Unless you have a way to bring horse power up or regear it for that size of tire it would be a dog on the low end you would also probably want to swap the a arms to the aftermarket heavyer duty a arms and see if someone makes heavy duty ball joints. On stock set up would probably just start breaking stuff. I mean even 26s on a stock set up you can tell you lose alot of lowend tourqe.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
With 30s you would definitely need better clutch springs and you will be pretty gutless on the low end. Unless you have a way to bring horse power up or regear it for that size of tire it would be a dog on the low end you would also probably want to swap the a arms to the aftermarket heavyer duty a arms and see if someone makes heavy duty ball joints. On stock set up would probably just start breaking stuff. I mean even 26s on a stock set up you can tell you lose alot of lowend tourqe.

Minimal, if any, loss with 26's. Depends on the weight of the 26's you go with, it'll turn BH 2.0's through everything so far.

P

Pussyslayer

Mar 17, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry but its a noticeable loss not going to effect off road use. Do a 0 to max mph with 24s its like 10 to11 seconds with the 26s and I run a lighter tire too its more like 13 or 14 seconds. With 30s its going to be a turd. Also with the 24s over the 26s in 5th gear it would pull up hills with the 26s it looses speed or sits steady pinned. These machines are great but where never ment to run 30s stock. The tire on a steel rim would be heavy as hell. You would for sure need better clutch springs or your going to just burn up the clutch.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Sorry but its a noticeable loss not going to effect off road use. Do a 0 to max mph with 24s its like 10 to11 seconds with the 26s and I run a lighter tire too its more like 13 or 14 seconds. With 30s its going to be a turd. Also with the 24s over the 26s in 5th gear it would pull up hills with the 26s it looses speed or sits steady pinned. These machines are great but where never ment to run 30s stock. The tire on a steel rim would be heavy as hell. You would for sure need better clutch springs or your going to just burn up the clutch.

That's high end though, not low end torque like your previous post stated?

P

Pussyslayer

Mar 17, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Its noticable threw all the gears you can feel it pull less 1st threw 5th. I ain't saying dontdo it but even the sevice guys would tell you for sure new and better clutch springs. Larger tires makes less tourqe. You're adding 6 inches over stock on a stock platform. Its going to be hard on the clutch and a pile of other stuff. Its like anything with a engine. It's reliable until you make it unreliable. You want to bust axles or smoke clutches because its all stock and not ment for all of that and be sitting on the side of the trail then should of bought a Polaris.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Its noticable threw all the gears you can feel it pull less 1st threw 5th. I ain't saying dontdo it but even the sevice guys would tell you for sure new and better clutch springs. Larger tires makes less tourqe. You're adding 6 inches over stock on a stock platform. Its going to be hard on the clutch and a pile of other stuff. Its like anything with a engine. It's reliable until you make it unreliable. You want to bust axles or smoke clutches because its all stock and not ment for all of that and be sitting on the side of the trail then should of bought a Polaris.

You'll get no argument out of me that 30's are just overkill on this machine, I'd never do it. 26's on the other hand...

Reactions: tomcj2 and Mudwing
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 26” tusk trilobites on my 500 weren’t noticeable in power loss... And I dogged that bike. Top speed every time I rode it, and on the rev limiter for hours. With the 27” mudlite XTRs it was very noticeable! They measured out to 28” and are heavy. Then I swapped to 27” zillas and it did ok again. 26 is the sweet spot on 500s. But I will tell you I was happy with all three setups. Just get the lightest tire possible.

Reactions: trigger and tomcj2
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What weight should I be looking for?
Well... Zillas are the lightest mud tire. 27s are about 24ish pounds each. That’s light. On a p500 and 700 I like to stay around that weight. It really makes a difference! I don’t mud bog though. I just like to ride. But during hunting season it’s all mud so I have Zillas. They are a little rough at low speeds, but not too bad... what kind of riding do you do?

tomcj2

tomcj2

I forgot the ditch was so close
Lifetime Member
Sep 1, 2018
N. Shore Lake Huron,Northern Ontario Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I just bought new 8-ply BH clones. 26x9R-12. If the ITP Delta Steel wheels weigh 13.62 lbs (according to ITP Rear Black Delta 12x7 Steel Wheel - 1225544014 | Dennis Kirk) the new tires weigh 26 lbs each.
Total weight new tire and wheel 39.6 lbs.
Original equipment tires/wheels weigh 25.6 Lbs (front) and 29.4 lbs (rear)
I can notice the difference that the additional weight causes but I do not find it a negative, just a difference.
I ride mainly on gravel roads (25 mph speed limit) as a daily driver, but also on narrow bush tracks at very low speed. I do not see a lot of mud

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought new 8-ply BH clones. 26x9R-12. If the ITP Delta Steel wheels weigh 13.62 lbs (according to ITP Rear Black Delta 12x7 Steel Wheel - 1225544014 | Dennis Kirk) the new tires weigh 26 lbs each.
Total weight new tire and wheel 39.6 lbs.
Original equipment tires/wheels weigh 25.6 Lbs (front) and 29.4 lbs (rear)
I can notice the difference that the additional weight causes but I do not find it a negative, just a difference.
I ride mainly on gravel roads (25 mph speed limit) as a daily driver, but also on narrow bush tracks at very low speed. I do not see a lot of mud

I think you got the right tire package then... I have stock wheels so I think ours weigh close to the same. I have the same tires on my 700 as I did on my 500.

M

Mygreenhonda

Jun 26, 2019
Virginia
Ownership

1. 500
I just put 30-9-14 on my p 500 with 2 inch spacers rub hard I am going to try a 2.5 inch lift?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!