Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Had a side job this weekend to cover some changes on the Pioneer so we stayed home. Decided to do some fun and needed changes. It's been awhile since the rear seat was added and it became a Pioneer 1000-7 (by the way thank you creativeutvgraphics! It's now official!

Haven't had time to work on it as we've been using it every weekend and working our asses off during the week. It's time! The changes this weekend will include built in lockable storage(there's not enough),communications (where cells don't work we still need good distance to talk),better battery configuration and charging with long life(we use stereo system which is massive and lightning also massive with vehicle is off) and a more stable vehicle that can accept a lift without compromises(we get in deeper then most and are always bouncing off trees, sticks and using the roof as a skid plate. @joeymt33 is at fault for the last one!
First up...cut hole last night

Cut cardboard profile and working on the new box now.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Tailgate is flimsy and sometimes useless. First step straighten out the gate. For this I simply glue in paint sticks to desired plane across. This gate will be the strongest out there shortly so these are just to hold it up. Abf95f25b30ed3847cd8d11619ff100e

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Used some old pieces of acrylic last night before buying polycarbonate today. Poly is what they use to make Bulletproof glass and even the windshields on sxs' its very tough!

Now in rough stage and headed to my shop

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Materials needed...good quality high density expanding foam (I've used this in many doors and tailgates dating from years back have done it in the 700 and the previous 1000 and have waited on this 1000 because I'm doing it right!) it makes it massively more ridged and quieter,(don't use the cheap stuff it soaks up water) window urethane a good spray able bedliner (not Walmart) and plastic pop rivits( they hold much better in objects the metal because they expand 10x as much on the backside)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Traced and cut around edges of tailgate for custom factory look. Sanded with 60grt because we want the finish to stick and cleans up imperfections in the door so it lays flat. Box is totally done on inside. It's sprayed black on the backside so if it gets a mar it'll still be black. It's now ready for mounting.

Glued tabs onto the back of the door because I don't want ugly ass hinges on this. It'll slide into the bottom and use barrel locks at top. Good luck thieves trying this one as it's totally smooth from prying things Image

Reactions: PineTree and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Now predrill for the plastic pop rivets. Every thing has to be ready quickly for the next step. It's about to get messy. Put tape around the edges so the crap doesn't get on the gate itself

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Now the fun begins. 8cff86b99d2c7fff890cef03ffded36fspray at about 50% with this stuff (it'll expand the rest. DO NOT DO THIS WITH REGULAR EXPANSION FOAM!) all the voids. Sometimes drill a few holes for extra to release but I've done this a few times so I won't. Place bead of window urethane around your tape edges. This will seal it perfectly smooth the slight edge and provide maximum extra hold. It WILL NOT COME OFF EVER. Try not to get this on you because you'll be black for months. 74f0dc42875627e9ace170ac9c533681 I put a little in the center to give extra hold to the box and no rattles. It's coming out of the drill holes deep so I know there is no voids.

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
9ae75871e5459c964a115b6dfcea61c5pop rivits installed. Normally you'd set overnight with this however I'm trying to get s*** done fast that's just how I work best so off to the paint booth for 15min at 180degrees

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Out of the booth no explosive like planned everything dry. A quick scuff around the edges with solvent and a sand across all the rivits to make the bumps smaller everything rounded edges masked ready for paint. I use adhesion promoter on plastic so things will stick. A check around the edges clearly shows the urethane underneath is sealed great with no gaps

Reactions: Stauvo and PineTree
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Your pretty smart for a self proclaimed southern redneck. Haha I'm just kidding it looks good, I enjoy watching the progress and innovation you come up with! Lol
Thank you a lot @sharp! This weekend will be a lot of stuff. Sucks I've got more ideas then time or money! Luckily this will only cost about 30$. Tomorrows endeavor will be free. I guess you do what you can with what you got. This stuff is just fun. After 28 years of cars this seems easier I guess. Everything is small

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well a full can of bedliner 3 cans of expanding foam half tube window urethane 22 plastic pop rivets a 1/4" sheet off bulletproof plastic and about 4 hours worth of work gives me three times the storage (we'll put med supplies,air compressor, tire fixes,tool kit,flashlight,small survival kit,bullets,my beretta cheetah 22lr,tow strap and a few other things) in a lockable tougher the s*** waterproof gate. Storage 101. I'll be adding much more storage later but this was important. Might have to invest in real tailgate cables as this will now hold anything.

Sent from iPhone

CopenHagen

CopenHagen

Aug 1, 2016
Southeastern Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great idea , was wondering do you think if just spraying the foam in my factory tail gate without cutting the storage area would stiffen it up or is there dividers that wouldn't let foam get to all the voids ? Wish guys like you could work for Honda and set these things up like this from factory lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Needs the locks installed which is two minutes tomorrow haven't eaten today and need some beer. One thing off of the "honey do" list(thank god it's stuff like this I have to do,good wife) now I can focus on the other things for the weekend! Now for a "few" beers and say hello to my family!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Great idea , was wondering do you think if just spraying the foam in my factory tail gate without cutting the storage area would stiffen it up or is there dividers that wouldn't let foam get to all the voids ? Wish guys like you could work for Honda and set these things up like this from factory lol
Yes ABSOLUTELY!! I've done it in the last bunch of rigs. Use the locktite or at least door and window. Think of it as an empty or a full can of beer. How you do it right is to drill 1/4 holes all the way around (except top it'll look like hell) every 6 in. If you expand the straw it's better get way up in there and pull slowly out.itll take probably two cans of locktite or 1 3/4 door/window. Let it dry over night. Cut off what spills out clean up with acetone. It's best if you wipe it as it starts to come out. Then take black silicon and smear over holes. I do it on doors as well however been waiting on this because I wanted storage and will be doing that in all 4 doors as well and didn't want to have to deal with getting it out. I wanted better then the last rig I'm always thinking. Did a write up about 8 mts ago it'll explain better look that up. Great idea to do this in at least the hinge area on the doors as well especially if you ever think about putting on the uppers as the doors won't take it. I think there were a couple other writups as well that followed my setup pretty close to give assistance.

Last edited:
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow that turned out great. Very inventive! Turning wasted space into storage and making the gate stronger. Win win. Nice job man.

Reactions: CumminsPusher

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!