P500 $74 audio system - *** Update*** Follow up. Need to read before you buy.

J

Jshell3

Ever since hearing @William NOAM sound system (and how good it sounded) Ive had my eye out for adding some tunes, myself.

I bought a $74 BOSS motorcycle kit on Amazon (with Bluetooth).

I changed the mounting system up a bit (no more rollbar clamps... it was handlebar mounts, anyways) and added a rocker switch to turn it off and on.

It sounds good. It's waterproof (tho prolly not submersible) and I think it looks pretty custom!

Check it out.
Sorry so dusty... I blame the 1/2 windshield :rolleyes:

Highlights (need to know):
  • No controller - iPod controls are left up to the phone's lock screen. Wirelessly Paired Bluetooth
  • Volume knob included. Designed to mount through the dash, but I opted to zip tie it to the amp and set it at 75%... so I can't blow the speakers. Again, volume controls are on my phone, anyways.
  • It's loud. (And no, not very much bass, but it's not too terrible)
  • Easy install. I used zip ties to coil excess wiring. But it was all clearly labeled for plug and play... snap together.
  • Everything's up and above the waterline (top of my wheels / seat bottom)
  • The way I installed it, there's nothing attached to rollbar. So no lumming and all the power sourcing I needed was centrally located under the hood.
  • Connection to iPhone's Bluetooth is automatic when I flip the toggle. Fast. I don't have to do anything from my phone to make it reconnect from the end of yesterday's ride. Tho, I do have to start Pandora. Lol.
  • The speakers are flush relative to the dash. Actually slightly recessed, so there's no way to catch your knee on them entering or exiting the cab.
So is it as good as the NOAM...?
No. Not hardly.

When William turned his up, I immediately wanted him to turn it down... fearful the police would be called. Those guys out there with NOAM systems know what I'm talking about.

But, is my $74 Boss worth the money?
***Update***

I've spent the better part of the afternoon riding Blueberry around checking trail cameras up and down deer camp trails and hwy roads... Listening to Pandora tunes with multiple variations in engine noise, speeds, and riding situations.

Drum roll, please...

This particular setup does NOT work well. I don't know if it's the size of the speakers, or the angle/location of the install, but treble is all you hear. (Especially on rock music). I even tried to change stations and listen to country music.

I turn the volume up, I turn the volume down... I speed up, I slow down. I change gears. I did it all.

It's loud. Uncomfortably loud. Ear drum piercing loud. But I can't actually hear the right parts of the song to sing along. Is just sounds like the ocean. The highs are too high. Straight tweeters.
Evidently, the engine's sound range removes that part of the frequency bandwidth. Engine noise takes over.
Wide Open Throttle (WOT) is nearly impossible to identify the song without looking on the phone screen.

I know, it sucks. Sorry.

Maybe if I point the speakers up?
Maybe the speakers HAVE to be aimed right at your face?

All I do know, the system at idle sounds fantastic... sadly, 24mph is a completely different story. :(

I didn't want to write this, but hopefully I can save some of you money. @Duckiller @locoboilerguy and anyone else whom I've tempted to buy this setup.

IMG 2907 IMG 2893 IMG 2896 IMG 2897 IMG 2920 IMG 2904 IMG 2918 IMG 2900 IMG 2919

Last edited by a moderator:
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Thats awesome! I have had that in my Amazon cart for about 2 weeks trying to decide if I was going to do that or the 1/2 windshield first. I installed the windshield tonight as it showed up today so that is next! Man this thing is a money pit!

J

Jshell3

And, had enough wine with dinner I just pulled the trigger. Gotta love Prime, it will be here Saturday. Thanks for posting!
If you have any questions down the road I can help. Remember to go ahead and get a rocker switch if you don't have one. There's no power switch on the amp itself, so it relies on a power source to trigger it off/on.
Also, worth noting... there are 3 dash knock outs for switches on the BACKSIDE of the dash (remove the hood, duck your head, and turn your flashlight around)... so you can line everything up, in case you didn't know.
Lastly, besides the analog volume knob, there's a wired 3.5 headphone jack on the amp that I taped off and coiled with the rest of the wires...zip tied. I don't expect to use it, but it's there.

I hadn't seen anyone do this sound system install on a SxS... but in the wisdom of @JTW (there's a new one) if I didn't like it, I'd just send it back! Ha.

But I'm gonna keep it.

Reactions: JTW and Duckiller
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
If you have any questions down the road I can help. Remember to go ahead and get a rocker switch if you don't have one. There's no power switch on the amp itself, so it relies on a power source to trigger it off/on.
Also, worth noting... there are 3 dash knock outs for switches on the BACKSIDE of the dash (remove the hood, duck your head, and turn your flashlight around)... so you can line everything up, in case you didn't know.
Lastly, besides the analog volume knob, there's a wired 3.5 headphone jack on the amp that I taped off and coiled with the rest of the wires...zip tied. I don't expect to use it, but it's there.

I hadn't seen anyone do this sound system install on a SxS... but in the wisdom of @JTW (there's a new one) if I didn't like it, I'd just send it back! Ha.

But I'm gonna keep it.
I have seen the outlines on the back of the dash so I will try to keep within the lines. Are they actual knockouts or just a templet for where to put the switch?? The reviews are pretty good on that system but my ideas on mounting the speakers were not as good as yours so I will steal your idea! I plan on using the Bluetooth exclusively so I will do the same with the wired end. I did order the rocker switch but it will not be here until Monday, bummer. If you can hear it while doing 70mph on a Harley the 500 should be no problem!

I had three things left on the list, the windshield, the stereo, and the top. Two out of the three are now done. Still up in the air on the roof. Don't like the hard top but dont want to take the soft top off when I put it in the back of the truck.

Done for tonight. Opened up another bottle and typing is becoming a PITA.

Reactions: trigger and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

outlines... Are they actual knockouts or just a templet for where to put the switch?

Templates.
From under the hood, I press a utility knife exactly into the marked corners making "L" "7" shape cuts. Then work around from the dash side and connect the corners in straight lines... because it's easier to control your cuts when your butt is sitting on the seat inside the cab!

J

Jshell3

...(mounting) I will steal your idea!

Then you'll need to see this pic. And know that it requires cutting then splicing wires after handlebar clamp hardware is removed...
I made doubley sure the install wouldn't interfere with my future @Chooglin Glovebox!

IMG 2901 IMG 2902

advertisement
J

Jshell3

And, had enough wine with dinner I just pulled the trigger. Gotta love Prime, it will be here Saturday. Thanks for posting!
Hey, I just checked the link this morning for the speakers on Amazon. Seller has lowered the price to $69... If you haven't gotten a shipment notice, cancel your order and re-order from the $69 guy.

Reactions: JTW and Duckiller
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I had the same set up for a while (Pyle and Boss are the same) with 6" speakers and it was bulletproof! I just upgraded to a little more powerful Amp for a little more sound while riding but I will say..that set up you have is like Honda itself...trouble free! Enjoy!

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Hey, I just checked the link this morning for the speakers on Amazon. Seller has lowered the price to $69... If you haven't gotten a shipment notice, cancel your order and re-order from the $69 guy.
DANGIT!!! It shipped this morning! Oh well, $5 does not even make a ripple in the pond at this point. That would have been the straw that pushed me over if I did not see this yesterday midway though a bottle and a half of Cab. Little slow today, in my office cranking Metallica Radio on Pandora for a jumpstart. Conference calls since 5:30am are taking their tole.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I had the same set up for a while ... but I will say..that set up you have is like Honda itself...trouble free! Enjoy!
Hey man. Thanks!
Originally I didn't know that it would be installed this way. Wasn't until it came in and I had a chance to study it.
I like the way it turned out. Honestly, I was just fortunate (lucky).

Reactions: SBuckJ
J

Jshell3

NOTE to any of you that plan on buying this system... 1,000+ Amazon reviews nearly all Positive, but the most common critical reviews state that the system burns up / speakers go out...
I would like to remind you, the volume knob is mechanical. Turning it wide open "10" (while simultaneously setting your volume control on you iPhone all the way up) will blow the speakers. I found that past about 75% on the volume knob, the speakers distort. And over a period of time, the speakers can't hold up. Reason is, I believe Boss/Pyle uses this same amp for other 4" & 6" speaker configurations. (this kit is 3") Also, there are sound systems showcasing 4 speaker configs from Boss/Pyle that use this same amp (this kit is 2 speakers)... It's simply an issue of over amping the speakers.

So in the words of Ron Popeil... "Set it, and forget it."

Put that sucker on about 75% and hide the volume knob, completely. (I zip-tied mine under the hood, next to the amp. So if I need to make subtle changes, I can)
That way, increasing the volume on your bluetooth phone can only max out to just below distortion levels. I do the same thing to my guitar / amp setup.. LOL.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
NOTE to any of you that plan on buying this system... Most common critical reviews on Amazon say the system burns up / speakers go out...
I would like to remind you, the volume knob is mechanical. Setting it to wide open "10" (and simultaneously setting your volume control on you iPhone all the way up) will blow the speakers. I found that past about 75% on the volume knob, the speakers distort. And over a period of time, the speakers can't hold up. Reason is, I believe Boss/Pyle uses this same amp for other 4.4" speaker configurations. (this kit is 3") Also, there are 4 speaker configs from Boss/Pyle that use this same amp (this kit is 2 speakers)... So it's simply an issue of over amping the speakers.

So in the words of Ron Popeil... "Set it, and forget it."

Put that sucker on about 75% and hide the volume knob, completely. (I zip-tied mine under the hood, next to the amp. So if I need to make subtle changes, I can)
That way, increasing the volume on your bluetooth phone will only max out at just below distortion levels. I do the same thing to my guitar / amp setup.. LOL.
Good info! You don't turn your amp to 11?

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

Good info! You don't turn your amp to 11?
Funny you should say that...
I posted this video on my Instagram account couple weeks ago. (Find me / follow me jonathancedotal )

My youngest son likes to play the drums. He and I had the same conversation... haha

Silverchair intro (practice). Anthem 2000
@trigger (sure to appreciate it)

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Funny you should say that...
I posted this video on my Instagram account couple months ago. (Find me / follow me jonathancedotal )

My youngest son likes to play the drums. He and I had the same conversation... haha

Silverchair intro (practice). Anthem 2000
@trigger (sure to appreciate it)

Bad ass J! Don't see a metronome and the boy's keeping pretty good time.
I know you have a prize guitar...whatcha got? :)

J

Jshell3

Bad ass J! Don't see a metronome and the boy's keeping pretty good time.
I know you have a prize guitar...whatcha got? :)
Honestly, I suffer from G.A.S.
Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
For some reason, when I get a couple hundred extra dollars saved up, I buy another mid level grade guitar. If I stopped doing that, one day I'd like to own a Gibson J45 or something. But as it stands today, Yamaha AES800 Cherry. In all fairness, I play them pretty hard, so scuffing up the pick guard on a mid level guitar isn't nearly as painful.

Now my wife on the other hand... Ha! (You didn't see that coming) owns a Taylor acoustic and 25th Anniversary Fender USA Strat.
The Taylor we bought new. The Strat is a handmedown from her dad, who bought it new in 1979!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!