P500 $74 audio system - *** Update*** Follow up. Need to read before you buy.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Honestly, I suffer from G.A.S.
Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
For some reason, when I get a couple hundred extra dollars saved up, I buy another mid level grade guitar. If I stopped doing that, one day I'd like to own a Gibson J45 or something. But as it stands today, Yamaha AES800 Cherry. In all fairness, I play them pretty hard, so scuffing up the pick guard on a mid level guitar isn't nearly as painful.

Now my wife on the other hand... Ha! (You didn't see that coming) owns a Taylor acoustic and 25th Anniversary Fender USA Strat.
The Taylor we bought new. The Strat is a handmedown from her dad, who bought it new in 1979!

Wow, no I didn't see that coming! Must be nice being married to Joan Jett. :)
That Yamaha's a nice guitar too.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul and the cheapest electric Martin you can buy. Rock on! :cool: Guitars

J

Jshell3

***Update***

I've spent the better part of the afternoon riding Blueberry around checking trail cameras up and down deer camp trails and hwy roads... Listening to Pandora tunes with multiple variations in engine noise, speeds, and riding situations.

Drum roll, please...

This particular setup does NOT work well. I don't know if it's the size of the speakers, or the angle/location of the install, but treble is all you hear. (Especially on rock music). I even tried to change stations and listen to country music.

I turn the volume up, I turn the volume down... I speed up, I slow down. I change gears. I did it all.

It's loud. Uncomfortably loud. Ear drum piercing loud. But I can't actually hear the right parts of the song to sing along. Is just sounds like the ocean. The highs are too high. Straight tweeters.
Evidently, the engine's sound range removes that part of the frequency bandwidth. Engine noise takes over.
Wide Open Throttle (WOT) is nearly impossible to identify the song without looking on the phone screen.

I know, it sucks. Sorry.

Maybe if I point the speakers up?
Maybe the speakers HAVE to be aimed right at your face?

All I do know, the system at idle sounds fantastic... sadly, 24mph is a completely different story. :(

I didn't want to write this, but hopefully I can save some of you money. @Duckiller @locoboilerguy and anyone else whom I've tempted to buy this setup.

locoboilerguy

locoboilerguy

Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2016
Western Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you and will continue the search. There is a marine system I was looking at. Just can't find it right now. Will get back with a link when I find it.

J

Jshell3

Thank you and will continue the search. There is a marine system I was looking at. Just can't find it right now. Will get back with a link when I find it.
I don't hate it. I just don't love it, (as much) tonight.

I bought a 6x9 wakeboard speaker I liked (sound-wise) way more, but it was too big to reasonably mount.
I liked that it was 1,200 watt amp built in and Bluetooth... 3 wires to hook up. Red, black, blue.
$134. I sent it back and ordered the Boss system I have now.
It had bass, tho. It was just bigger than I could make work.

IMG 2826

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I don't hate it. I just don't love it, (as much) tonight.

I bought a 6x9 wakeboard speaker I liked (sound-wise) way more, but it was too big to reasonably mount.
I liked that it was 1,200 watt amp built in and Bluetooth... 3 wires to hook up. Red, black, blue.
$134. I sent it back and ordered the Boss system I have now.
It had bass, tho. It was just bigger than I could make work.

View attachment 26782

Sorry to hear it's not working for you J. You can build off of what you have though.
The bigger the speaker, the bigger the sound. You're asking a 3" speaker to produce too many frequencies. It works without adding road noise. If you add 4" Noams, or similar, on the rail behind you, it will open some of what's being restricted. The problem is adding more crap, wiring and amps, with limited space. A head unit that can drive more speakers would be the solution. @Eltobgi posted an SSV Works head unit that was like $230. If I were building a new system, that would be the first thing on the list. I have an SSV overhead that cost twice as much. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Eltobgi and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

You're asking a 3" speaker to produce too many frequencies. It works without adding road noise. If you add 4" Noams, or similar, on the rail behind you, it will open some of what's being restricted. The problem is adding more crap, wiring and amps, with limited space.
You are exactly right. It's not a volume issue. They are loud enough.
I'll have to go back to the drawing board. Like I said, testing purposes (and the price) I was impressed with this system.
Ultimately the P5 motor is just louder than I realized at speeds above 24mph.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
***Update***

I've spent the better part of the afternoon riding Blueberry around checking trail cameras up and down deer camp trails and hwy roads... Listening to Pandora tunes with multiple variations in engine noise, speeds, and riding situations.

Drum roll, please...

This particular setup does NOT work well. I don't know if it's the size of the speakers, or the angle/location of the install, but treble is all you hear. (Especially on rock music). I even tried to change stations and listen to country music.

I turn the volume up, I turn the volume down... I speed up, I slow down. I change gears. I did it all.

It's loud. Uncomfortably loud. Ear drum piercing loud. But I can't actually hear the right parts of the song to sing along. Is just sounds like the ocean. The highs are too high. Straight tweeters.
Evidently, the engine's sound range removes that part of the frequency bandwidth. Engine noise takes over.
Wide Open Throttle (WOT) is nearly impossible to identify the song without looking on the phone screen.

I know, it sucks. Sorry.

Maybe if I point the speakers up?
Maybe the speakers HAVE to be aimed right at your face?

All I do know, the system at idle sounds fantastic... sadly, 24mph is a completely different story. :(

I didn't want to write this, but hopefully I can save some of you money. @Duckiller @locoboilerguy and anyone else whom I've tempted to buy this setup.
I have wasted more money on less. My original idea was to mount them on the bar down behind the seat pointing straight up. Not sure if that would make any difference. Maybe I will try that first before I take the clamps off. Worst case I can find some better speakers. Either way I am not too worried about it. Just waiting for the mailman.......

Reactions: Jshell3
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
OK, already have the idea. Ditching the speakers that come with the set and buying some marine 6 1/2's and mounting them either under the dash or in the plastic under the seat. I am going to take some 5" PCV caps and epoxy them to the back side of the holes I will cut with the hole saw for an enclosure and whala. Should crank, have more base, and still be bullet proof.

Reactions: trigger and Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I have wasted more money on less. My original idea was to mount them on the bar down behind the seat pointing straight up. Not sure if that would make any difference. Maybe I will try that first before I take the clamps off. Worst case I can find some better speakers. Either way I am not too worried about it. Just waiting for the mailman.......
Good. I was most concerned about you. Thought maybe you could return them before you went through too much trouble installing.

And I would suggest that you test your install placement a whole day before committing to it.

Like I say. It's loud. And impressive at rest. It's above 24 mph you really can't decipher the song.
I putted around with it today, and like it just fine.
I just got to thinking I may have "talked it up TOO much". That's all.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
Good. I was most concerned about you. Thought maybe you could return them before you went through too much trouble installing.

And I would suggest that you test your install placement a whole day before committing to it.

Like I say. It's loud. And impressive at rest. It's above 24 mph you really can't decipher the song.
Ha, no worries. I really just wanted the amp with the bluetooth capability and was actually trying to find that without the speakers anyway. Fosgate makes some 4" speakers I have been looking at if I cant get the bigger ones to fit. I am that guy that has 1k watts of stereo in my camper with a 10" sub so figured I would be modifying it anyway. I like music, and I like it loud! The wife, not so much. Everyone has to have 90" of high def projection while camping right?

Racks

advertisement
SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
I actually had your set up once then went with this amp Amazon.com: Kenwood Compact Automotive/Marine Amplifier - 180 W RMS - 400 W PMPO - 4 Channel - Class D KAC-M1824BT: Cell Phones & Accessories and these speakers Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA2652-A MM651UM 6.5-Inch Coax Ultra Marine Speaker: Car Electronics inside 6" PVC caps...awesome sounding system that I use my tablet with...I will say my phone SUCKS through this system probably because it's an HTC. I know all told I have about $350 but still cheaper than most pre made systems and sounds better than many

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
I actually had your set up once then went with this amp Amazon.com: Kenwood Compact Automotive/Marine Amplifier - 180 W RMS - 400 W PMPO - 4 Channel - Class D KAC-M1824BT: Cell Phones & Accessories and these speakers Amazon.com: Polk Audio AA2652-A MM651UM 6.5-Inch Coax Ultra Marine Speaker: Car Electronics inside 6" PVC caps...awesome sounding system that I use my tablet with...I will say my phone SUCKS through this system probably because it's an HTC. I know all told I have about $350 but still cheaper than most pre made systems and sounds better than many
Where did you mount the speakers?

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
The upper rear bar above our heads...I used u-bolts with locknuts through the back side of the PVC caps..and a short piece of 6" PVC inside those caps (so the speaker screws have something to bite in). I actually bolted my amp to the ceiling also

View attachment 26837
Yep, that looks sick!

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500

Wow, that was easy. Installed in like 1 hour and most of that was policing the wires so it looked neat. I dont know Jshell3, sounds pretty good. There is a huge lack of bass but ripping around the neighborhood I could hear it clear as could be. WFO at 40mph I could still hear it really well and I only had it at 80% +/- . I did like you suggested and turned the volume to 3/4 and then taped it up. Mounted the speakers in the same place as you for simplicity in wiring. For the money I am super happy. I had to wire it to the switched power as the actual switch I am going to use wont be here until Monday. Besides that I am going to rock it as-is for now. In the end its a SxS, as long as I can hear it puddering around that is good enough for me. And, on another note, wow is it crazy loud.

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

:)

Let me ask you this... was it loud?

Wired in the switch like that, you get a cool key turn sound. Like Nightrider!

J

Jshell3

Wow, that was easy. Installed in like 1 hour and most of that was policing the wires so it looked neat. I dont know Jshell3, sounds pretty good. There is a huge lack of bass but ripping around the neighborhood I could hear it clear as could be. WFO at 40mph I could still hear it really well and I only had it at 80% +/- . I did like you suggested and turned the volume to 3/4 and then taped it up. Mounted the speakers in the same place as you for simplicity in wiring. For the money I am super happy. I had to wire it to the switched power as the actual switch I am going to use wont be here until Monday. Besides that I am going to rock it as-is for now. In the end its a SxS, as long as I can hear it puddering around that is good enough for me. And, on another note, wow is it crazy loud.
Also, where did you mount the amp? I got mine in a pretty good spot high up on the steering colum brace. 2 screws. 2 zip ties. I'll pic it for you.

Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
:)

Let me ask you this... was it loud?

Wired in the switch like that, you get a cool key turn sound. Like Nightrider!
Yeah, now when I turn on the key it makes that be bo bop sound. Was it loud? When I got home from my little cruze, maybe a mile or so, my wife chewed my ass on behalf of the neighborhood as she said she could hear me the entire time. And that was with the hard switch at 3/4 and my phone at 80%. I mounted it behind the dash with some double sided 3M foam tape I had laying around. Right above the 12v power, there is a perfect little flat spot almost the exact size of the amp. When I was 20 it might have gotten wet in that spot but at 42 not much of a chance I am going that deep, at least on purpose.

Reactions: trigger and Jshell3
Duckiller

Duckiller

Oct 17, 2016
Eagle, ID
Ownership

1. 500
OK, my OCD got to me. Ordered the 200w mini monoblock amp to add a sub to my existing setup. Looks like I should be able to get an 8" right under the seat on the drivers side. 6 1/2 will fit for sure and add some base to the setup. I though about adding tower speakers off the back of the roll cage but dont want to see the speakers. Stay tuned for a report.

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
OK, my OCD got to me. Ordered the 200w mini monoblock amp to add a sub to my existing setup. Looks like I should be able to get an 8" right under the seat on the drivers side. 6 1/2 will fit for sure and add some base to the setup. I though about adding tower speakers off the back of the roll cage but dont want to see the speakers. Stay tuned for a report.

I looked at that area, perfect size for a little thumper. If I hadn't had the toolbox to mount in, that's where I would've went.
Sits low but a speaker getting wet isn't the end of the world, you putting it in pvc?

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!