Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You have to buy the straps too? So $1300 for all 4 corners?
$1290 for everything including straps and shipping

Reactions: JTW
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to buy the straps too? So $1300 for all 4 corners?
You dont have to buy their straps but its easier if you do. Otherwise you have to come up with longer bolts and spacers etc. The older i get the more i like "easy"

Reactions: ToddACimer
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And their straps are stupid strong. Could pull a tank with one lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Foxes are $1400.... I just really expected these to be less expensive. I really figured they’d be in the $800 range by now.
I gave over 800 bucks for one Fox twin clicker on my prostreet dragbike. One helluva shock though. Sold it and gave over 1100 for a Penske lol. Had a set of keihin 41mm fcr carbs i gave 1100 bucks for lol. And here i thought sxs's were expensive lol

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not to hijack.. Which shocks are the best value and provide the most performance for the 1000-5? Walker evans, Fox, 814's Elka stage 3. I need to pick some up soon as the stock ride is pretty rough.

Reactions: BWAF
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Foxes are $1400.... I just really expected these to be less expensive. I really figured they’d be in the $800 range by now.
Sounds like the prices on these might be going up actually due to the prices on aluminum.

What pushed me to go with these besides the reviews which some people switched from fox to these, but the foxes only allow for 3 setting of preset adjustments where these have like 14 of rebound and 14 of compression or something like that. So they can be better tailored to your ride and riding style. Idk much about shocks but the users of these convinced me. They sound superior to the fox shocks. And more travel.

Reactions: JTW and Delton
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not to hijack.. Which shocks are the best value and provide the most performance for the 1000-5? Walker evans, Fox, 814's Elka stage 3. I need to pick some up soon as the stock ride is pretty rough.

Don’t know much about the walker evans or Elkas. But I believe they are supposed to be better than the 814 and fox... and from what I’ve read people like the 814 better than fox...

Regardless they are all better than factory shocks and worth it for whatever fits your budget

Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like the prices on these might be going up actually due to the prices on aluminum.

What pushed me to go with these besides the reviews which some people switched from fox to these, but the foxes only allow for 3 setting of preset adjustments where these have like 14 of rebound and 14 of compression or something like that. So they can be better tailored to your ride and riding style. Idk much about shocks but the users of these convinced me. They sound superior to the fox shocks. And more travel.
Dialing them in isnt hard. I started soft then kept stopping and adjusting til i liked the feel. Think i started at 6 clicks each. Id ride til itd bottom out then crank it some more. To me rebound ended up making the biggest difference

Reactions: Dragon21
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t know much about the walker evans or Elkas. But I believe they are supposed to be better than the 814 and fox... and from what I’ve read people like the 814 better than fox...

Regardless they are all better than factory shocks and worth it for whatever fits your budget
If you ride on same type terrain i think Fox are great shocks. Not everybody likes making several stops and adjusting. If youre leaning more toward plug n play, Fox are a great choice. Personally i like piddling with stuff lol

Reactions: Rocket
J

JTW

So these came out after I got the Fox... but one of the things that drew me too the Fox was the three position clicker. I think with these I wouldnt get the full use because I would set them somewhere and leave them. Annnnd I don’t love the idea of the straps. I think Elka 3 are ok par with the Fox.. but comparatively I’ve only ridden in the Fox machines. They were made for the PK5 so that’s a plus. I do think you are missing much of the benefit when you only do the fronts.

S

Superthrill

Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are they rebuildable? I wish they were nitrogen charged. That would keep them from fading as fast when being pushed hard.

I have set up several sets of sway away race runner air shocks on some rock buggies. We had Bilsteins on one of our race trucks. Being able to rebuild and replace the oil and tune a shock is a must for me.

Leaning towards WE, but really want to learn a little more on these 814.

Reactions: BWAF
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you ride on same type terrain i think Fox are great shocks. Not everybody likes making several stops and adjusting. If youre leaning more toward plug n play, Fox are a great choice. Personally i like piddling with stuff lol

I like to make adjustments and I find myself adjusting my Fox shocks on nearly every ride but I like it because the adjustments are easy to access and make a huge difference for either higher speed riding or rock crawling and hitting bigger bumps. I'm not sure I'd want to stop twice as often or remember much more than soft, medium or hard when it comes to keeping the wife and kids happy or just having fun with my buddies.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are they rebuildable? I wish they were nitrogen charged. That would keep them from fading as fast when being pushed hard.

I have set up several sets of sway away race runner air shocks on some rock buggies. We had Bilsteins on one of our race trucks. Being able to rebuild and replace the oil and tune a shock is a must for me.

Thwres an 814 page on facebook. Craig Folmar is guy that can answer all your questions. Craig will tell ya the 814s are more for trail riding than hard abuse.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve liked my Elka’s since I got them. Got just fronts and almost immediately ordered rear. Almost can’t wait to wear them down so I can ship back and have rebuilt to stage 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

Fox are...

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
If I had Fox all the way around, I think I would have stayed with that. But I really wanted to do the rears so was in the middle of deciding about $750 for fox rear or sell the fronts and go with 814 all around. Decided to go with the 814. Everything I read about them is positive. I was tempted to go with the fox for the easy settings, but it sounds like once you get the 814 set up, its just a matter of memorizing your settings which isnt bad. Plus they have longer travel supposedly and add lift. So taking the HL lift off as well when i add these. Im not a huge fan of having to modify the a arms to make them fit, but its not too bad. Also wish I didnt have to add the limit straps, but i understand why and the benefit seems to be worth it.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!