Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Got mine on over the weekend. Not making judgement yet. However Craig at 814 is awesome. Answered all my dumb questions and easy to contact. Right now my front end seemed to get the 2” of lift that most stated. However the rear didn’t. I was told to ride it and see where it settles so that’s what I’m going to do before making an judgment. Install wasn’t bad. Few hours and mainly it’s becuae of the grinding and checking clearance. As well as getting the bolt to bolt measurement right by setting the preload can take some time.

CE0EDBB7 E78E 4D74 9FCB 80B75039BD6D FC55E66A 5566 4043 B65D 996DE23BE50B FB850F2D 39BB 485E 9C97 E5B3E4382C3C DC859AB3 6B26 43FA ACC5 483091B284DC 0DD5BE06 C922 49D4 919C BF8142C73FF7 DC37DE0F 0A96 4B2E 8349 95E8A6DB33ED 3814D961 16C1 4696 B384 5D18EDE7B5CD BB169E2C C750 47C1 97E6 06B82AD44E32

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
If I had Fox all the way around, I think I would have stayed with that. But I really wanted to do the rears so was in the middle of deciding about $750 for fox rear or sell the fronts and go with 814 all around. Decided to go with the 814. Everything I read about them is positive. I was tempted to go with the fox for the easy settings, but it sounds like once you get the 814 set up, its just a matter of memorizing your settings which isnt bad. Plus they have longer travel supposedly and add lift. So taking the HL lift off as well when i add these. Im not a huge fan of having to modify the a arms to make them fit, but its not too bad. Also wish I didnt have to add the limit straps, but i understand why and the benefit seems to be worth it.

I have all 4 fox and want to go to 814. Gotta sell my fox first tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm looking forward to seeing a few guys at Takeover that have 814s. I'm really happy with the Fox shocks but maybe there is a difference. Odds are if I made the swap again I'd be more interested in Elkas stage 5 or the new Bandit shocks

J

JTW

I'm looking forward to seeing a few guys at Takeover that have 814s. I'm really happy with the Fox shocks but maybe there is a difference. Odds are if I made the swap again I'd be more interested in Elkas stage 5 or the new Bandit shocks
I don’t know about the bandit but i agree...

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Do y'all think the stage 5 could be that much better than the 814? With compression and rebound adjustments on both I'm not sure the pioneer is enough machine to tell a difference in a the 2 shocks

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
814 just came out with another series. Has the option for remote reservoir and is supposed to compete with the higher end Elkas and Walker Evans. From what i recall, they say they are more geared towards higher speed riding but perform as well as the original 814's at low speeds

J

JTW

Do y'all think the stage 5 could be that much better than the 814? With compression and rebound adjustments on both I'm not sure the pioneer is enough machine to tell a difference in a the 2 shocks

That’s my big wonder about them..

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

There are a lot of factors. If your riding blacktop, gravel roads and mud riding mostly probably not. If your running down a trail at 30 mph and unknowingly hit a jump, it may be a huge difference. That being said I have never rode on 814's but have on all the others. Pretty sure the 814's are digressive valved to where the others are usually linear or progressive valved. No nitrogen in the 814 so you will get cavitation and fading with shock heat. Shaft, seal and bearing quality is another factor. Not sure if the 814's are hard coat anodized for shock body wear. Pretty sure the 814's are pretty much a universal type shock, as they are using the same shock for cars, utvs, etc which saves money. That is why you have to grind the mounts because the eyelet length is to short and the stroke length is too long requiring limit straps. The fox's, elka's & we's are application specific with the correct eyelet, extended and compressed length and valved/sprung for the application. There are also a lot of experienced shock companies that rebuild and revalve the big 3 brands so you can pretty much get any ride you want. I think the Fox's would would benefit from softer springs for East coast riding as it is an OEM spec setup on a good shock and give a little lower adjustment range on the 3 settings. 250# fronts and 300# rears work really good on the pioneers. I run 225# F & 275# R currently.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know the difference in stage 3 elkas vs stage 5 is drastic. @snuffnwhiskey has the 5’s and I have the 3’s. I’ve rode in his machine and it’s WAY smoother than mine. Mine is WAY smoother than factory... I don’t have much seat time in a fox version.

J

JTW

I know the difference in stage 3 elkas vs stage 5 is drastic. @snuffnwhiskey has the 5’s and I have the 3’s. I’ve rode in his machine and it’s WAY smoother than mine. Mine is WAY smoother than factory... I don’t have much seat time in a fox version.

Snuff is also not running the HL lift. That will make a noticible difference I would think.

Reactions: BWAF and nbomar
J

Joseph16p3

Nov 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are a lot of factors. If your riding blacktop, gravel roads and mud riding mostly probably not. If your running down a trail at 30 mph and unknowingly hit a jump, it may be a huge difference. That being said I have never rode on 814's but have on all the others. Pretty sure the 814's are digressive valved to where the others are usually linear or progressive valved. No nitrogen in the 814 so you will get cavitation and fading with shock heat. Shaft, seal and bearing quality is another factor. Not sure if the 814's are hard coat anodized for shock body wear. Pretty sure the 814's are pretty much a universal type shock, as they are using the same shock for cars, utvs, etc which saves money. That is why you have to grind the mounts because the eyelet length is to short and the stroke length is too long requiring limit straps. The fox's, elka's & we's are application specific with the correct eyelet, extended and compressed length and valved/sprung for the application. There are also a lot of experienced shock companies that rebuild and revalve the big 3 brands so you can pretty much get any ride you want. I think the Fox's would would benefit from softer springs for East coast riding as it is an OEM spec setup on a good shock and give a little lower adjustment range on the 3 settings. 250# fronts and 300# rears work really good on the pioneers. I run 225# F & 275# R currently.
ounds

Sounds like the 814’s are a generic shock. I see sets on eBay for 300$ for cars without springs.i think if you really hit it hard out there it’s best to avoid these shocks. I was checking out bandit Utv suspension and they getting ready to release some shocks for the pioneer. The shocks will have rebound and compression and dual rate springs on the rear shocks if they are similar to their other products for Polaris and what not. Anybody heard of bandit? Good,bad, other? I’m getting really itchy to buy some shocks and the foxes are what I’m looking at right now. Just hate to buy something and the lastest and greatest will come out.

K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody swapping to shocks want to sell me some rear fox shocks? Or possibly all 4 and I'll sell the fronts.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
ounds

Sounds like the 814’s are a generic shock. I see sets on eBay for 300$ for cars without springs.i think if you really hit it hard out there it’s best to avoid these shocks. I was checking out bandit Utv suspension and they getting ready to release some shocks for the pioneer. The shocks will have rebound and compression and dual rate springs on the rear shocks if they are similar to their other products for Polaris and what not. Anybody heard of bandit? Good,bad, other? I’m getting really itchy to buy some shocks and the foxes are what I’m looking at right now. Just hate to buy something and the lastest and greatest will come out.

Curious why you think 814's are generic. The regular 814's are designed for normal trail riding with the ability to tune the shock to best fit your ride. They do state these shocks were not designed to hit whoops at full speed or do any jumping. But they do have a line of the 814's that are made for harder riding. @814utvsuspension can help elaborate more on that. While these shocks are not designed to compete with the high end elkas or walker evans. They are a great shock for the price point they are sold at with many people that switch from Fox to 814 for a better ride.

J

Joseph16p3

Nov 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Curious why you think 814's are generic. The regular 814's are designed for normal trail riding with the ability to tune the shock to best fit your ride. They do state these shocks were not designed to hit whoops at full speed or do any jumping. But they do have a line of the 814's that are made for harder riding. @814utvsuspension can help elaborate more on that. While these shocks are not designed to compete with the high end elkas or walker evans. They are a great shock for the price point they are sold at with many people that switch from Fox to 814 for a better ride.
Not trying to ruffle any feathers. Is the ride that much better with the 814’s vs the foxes? The 814s that we are speaking of are not made specifically for the pioneer and can be adapted to many machines. Generic may sound harsh, universal is a better word to use. I’m not knocking your new shocks you just purchased. Hopefully they work for what you need. I’m not fully convinced and ready to chug the kool aid yet...

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not trying to ruffle any feathers. Is the ride that much better with the 814’s vs the foxes? The 814s that we are speaking of are not made specifically for the pioneer and can be adapted to many machines. Generic may sound harsh, universal is a better word to use. I’m not knocking your new shocks you just purchased. Hopefully they work for what you need. I’m not fully convinced and ready to chug the kool aid yet...
No feathers getting ruffles. Was honestly looking for what made them seem generic. But universal might be a better word and yes I agree to an extent.

From my understanding the shock body is used in different applications. The mounting points and the springs are what changes depending on riding style and machine. The 814 is supposed to be a notch above the fox and stage 2 shocks, but not as good as stage 3. May be wrong though. One of the benefits the 814 offer besides the ability adjust the compression and rebound is the longer travel, which is why the limit strap is needed. I get it, it’s a lot of money to spend to “take a chance on”. I’ve been keeping my eye on the 814 for about 6 months now watching the users on their Facebook group. Tons of teryx users have switched from fox and even some pioneer users have all with better results from what they have stated.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
No feathers getting ruffles. Was honestly looking for what made them seem generic. But universal might be a better word and yes I agree to an extent.

From my understanding the shock body is used in different applications. The mounting points and the springs are what changes depending on riding style and machine. The 814 is supposed to be a notch above the fox and stage 2 shocks, but not as good as stage 3. May be wrong though. One of the benefits the 814 offer besides the ability adjust the compression and rebound is the longer travel, which is why the limit strap is needed. I get it, it’s a lot of money to spend to “take a chance on”. I’ve been keeping my eye on the 814 for about 6 months now watching the users on their Facebook group. Tons of teryx users have switched from fox and even some pioneer users have all with better results from what they have stated.
It probably wouldn't hurt to check for axle and tie rod bind at full droop. You can jack the front up and spin the wheel. If it droops too much you will see the wheel want to bounce when spinning or worse case not wanting to turn. With stock axles there is very little droop travel left before they start to bind with a stock length shock. I believe about 20" from centerline to centerline of the shock mount bolts is just about max. The inner joint of the tie rod maxes out right at there also.

Reactions: Dragon21 and JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
It probably wouldn't hurt to check for axle and tie rod bind at full droop. You can jack the front up and spin the wheel. If it droops too much you will see the wheel want to bounce when spinning or worse case not wanting to turn. With stock axles there is very little droop travel left before they start to bind with a stock length shock. I believe about 20" from centerline to centerline of the shock mount bolts is just about max. The inner joint of the tie rod maxes out right at there also.

The limit straps are 19" long and measure about 20" at full drop. However there is supposedly more up travel than with others.

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
J

Joseph16p3

Nov 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Have you a had a chance to try out the 814’s? I know you had front foxes only but is the ride comparable?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!