P1000 814 Shocks

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Anyone have a good site to just learn about shocks/ off road shocks in general? My knowledge is super limited, I do know that there is a lot of technology in these things that probably does not get the credit it deserves.

Shocks and tire design are two areas I would like to learn more about. At some point with our machine we have to hit up against the bell curve of diminishing returns so while there is a lot that can be done/ added. We are going to get to the point of is it worth the time/money/effort. Also have feeling it might be better not to go behind the curtain as i’ll f*** with s*** and overthink as with gunspring and powder speeds back when competitive shooting.
Please don’t lift the curtain, you will drive yourself crazy ;) your machine is one of the best riding/handling rigs I’ve ridden in. Much better than either one of mine. Your are correct,there is a lot of improvements to be made over a stock machine,but at what point do we just accept what the machine is and stop sticking money into them for minimal gains? Is it just time to get a sport rig instead of a multi purpose/utility rig?

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You still have the HL lift on vs with the Fox shocks? And what about spacers between the two setups?

HL lift came off when i added the shocks. I also went from 1" in the front and 2" on the rear, to just 1" on the rear.

J

JTW

HL lift came off when i added the shocks. I also went from 1" in the front and 2" on the rear, to just 1" on the rear.
When you added the Fox shocks you had the HL and you pulled it for the 814’s?

J

JTW

Please don’t lift the curtain, you will drive yourself crazy ;) your machine is one of the best riding/handling rigs I’ve ridden in. Much better than either one of mine. Your are correct,there is a lot of improvements to be made over a stock machine,but at what point do we just accept what the machine is and stop sticking money into them for minimal gains? Is it just time to get a sport rig instead of a multi purpose/utility rig?
This is pretty much exactly what I said

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So i got to spend the last few days in WV testing out the 814's. Keep in mind I came from fox shocks in the front only and had the Highlifter lift.

I started with the recommended setting on the front an rear for compression and rebound. Right off the bat it was weird. The first trail we were on was smooth as butter. I found my self clenching for bumps that I never felt. It was a lot of small pothole size bumps and the ride just glided across them. Took some getting use to but loved it!

Next thing that happened was a little disappointing but I want to keep this 100% honest and up front.

One of the trails we were riding had lots of dips and humps. The front handled it beautiful. The rear.. not so much.. Now i was concerned from the start with the way the rear was sitting. But knew i needed to ride it first so everything could settle. When the shocks compressed It would rub my fenders pretty bad, note this was going 25-35 mph over these sections, not enough to jump, but enough for it to be an issue. I messed with the setting in the rear by raising the compression and lowering rebound but just couldnt make it stop. Im 90% sure i just needed more preload. Im also running 29" tires which I needed Aarms on the front, so might be looking to do those on the rear too.

I also had one instance on a straight stretch with the whoops type depressions that I was going too fast over (I was over confident after what the shocks were doing with most bumps). Rear end started bouncing bad and almost got sideways. I was holding on waiting for it to flip but never did.

I talked to Craig that night and explained where I was at. He is thinking defiantly preload to keep from rubbing, but maybe need heavier springs for my riding style. Also the 5 seat pioneers have more weight in the back (of course) so might need a little more adjusting because of that. He recommended some settings to try the next day, and they helped with the bigger stuff but the smaller stuff got works.. which I knew was going to be the case but this is only temporary for the weekend.

Overall:

I absolutely love them and its the best thing ive done to the Honda. Ride quality is wayyy better. I understood going into this that It was going to be trial and error for them to get setup right, but its teaching me about suspension which is what I wanted as well as being able to tailor it for my riding.

I feel very confident that with adjusting preload I will be able to bring the compression back down and get where the whole thing rides smooth. I also will probably quit trying to be cheap and get the rear SATV a arms if i can find them at their old price. The customer support from Craig is awesome. Really a stand up guy. Dont regret even the slightest going this route over the fox shocks.
You might be able to use some 2 piece clamp collars on the shaft under the bump stop to limit up travel to keep it from rubbing. A heavier spring will slow the wheel down some but it can still travel till the fender or bump stop hits. Try stiffening the rear rebound up a lot for the bouncing. The SATV rear arms move the wheel back but doesn't help keep the tire from hitting the fender straight up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragon21 and JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
When you added the Fox shocks you had the HL and you pulled it for the 814’s?
Yea, because these are supposed to add lift I was told the HL lift should be taken off

Reactions: JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
You might be able to use some 2 piece clamp collars on the shaft under the bump stop to limit up travel to keep it from rubbing. A heavier spring will slow the wheel down some but it can still travel till the fender or bump stop hits. Try stiffening the rear rebound up a lot for the bouncing. The SATV rear arms move the wheel back but doesn't help keep the tire from hitting the fender straight up.

Its contacting the lower part of the rear fender where my Mudbusters are bolted on. Im thinking moving the tire towards the rear should keep it from hitting there. Going to need to do that with the rebound, but I need to get the preload right first because its still not sitting right. Its still squatting too much

Reactions: snuffnwhisky
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
With all of the adjustable shocks, you can add lift by adding preload to the spring or use a higher rate spring.
Gonna start with preload first, but may need a higher rate spring.

J

joemutt

Sep 21, 2018
pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ordered the new 814s this week myself, hopefully someone will take my old fox off my hands. I just got tired of waiting. I didn't opt for the remote reservoir tho as he said for my application it would be overkill and another good chunk of change. Very interested to see how they perform, hopefully as good as the high end elka and walkers like he says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gonna start with preload first, but may need a higher rate spring.
Do you still have the FOX shocks? If how much do you want for them?

Reactions: BWAF
Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
Do you still have the FOX shocks? If how much do you want for them?

I have some front fox I'll sell, rear already sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

Ryano77

Apr 10, 2018
Charlotte NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone messed with the stock shocks to try and take out the roll? I was able to take my trx450r fronts off and remove the 2 top shims from them and the roll on it was almost completely gone. Wonder if something similar is achievable here? I feel that my stocks are good enough i just cant justify spending money on another set right now. I would like to eliminate some of the roll however.

D

DDDonkey

Has anyone messed with the stock shocks to try and take out the roll? I was able to take my trx450r fronts off and remove the 2 top shims from them and the roll on it was almost completely gone. Wonder if something similar is achievable here? I feel that my stocks are good enough i just cant justify spending money on another set right now. I would like to eliminate some of the roll however.

I can't answer your question, but I too thought the stock shocks were/are very nice riding. After 5-600 miles the nose would dive pretty hard in turns. I now have 1400+ miles and feel they are shot and will be upgrading in the next few months. The do ok taking my kids to school on flat top but out in the desert my kidneys and back have a had time over 8-10mph now. Let us know is you find a hack for the stock shocks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!