Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Have you a had a chance to try out the 814’s? I know you had front foxes only but is the ride comparable?
Just around the neighborhood and through a field near my house. Have done great so far, but the real test will be tomorrow and saturday when i head to WV.

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Interested to hear your thoughts!
Me too. After my last trip I was ready to sell the pioneer. Ride quality just wasnt what I wanted. The Fox shocks were huge improvement, but the rocky washboard trails just still were no match. I know this will never be a rzr, X3, or talon and dont expect it to. But sure would like something better than where I was

D

DDDonkey

Me too. After my last trip I was ready to sell the pioneer. Ride quality just wasnt what I wanted. The Fox shocks were huge improvement, but the rocky washboard trails just still were no match. I know this will never be a rzr, X3, or talon and dont expect it to. But sure would like something better than where I was

Yes report back please, shocks or on my short list. I look forward your thoughts.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've got Elka, Stage 5's and really like them, but you will have to fiddle with them, they have I think 12 separate setting adjustments of high and low speed compression and I believe 10 rebound adjustments And adjustable springs, but are High $!

K

Kevdp4

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
SW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I installed 814's this week, haven't tried them yet though.

Choped5er

Choped5er

Lifetime Member
Oct 2, 2017
Union
I ordered the new 814s this week myself, hopefully someone will take my old fox off my hands. I just got tired of waiting. I didn't opt for the remote reservoir tho as he said for my application it would be overkill and another good chunk of change. Very interested to see how they perform, hopefully as good as the high end elka and walkers like he says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

Joseph16p3

Nov 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ordered the new 814s this week myself, hopefully someone will take my old fox off my hands. I just got tired of waiting. I didn't opt for the remote reservoir tho as he said for my application it would be overkill and another good chunk of change. Very interested to see how they perform, hopefully as good as the high end elka and walkers like he says

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need a fox vs 814 video

Reactions: 1Ktrailrider
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The HL will make the shock about 20% stiffer that stock mounting points.
@snuffnwhisky - so you don’t have any lift or running lift in the AArms or shocks? So debating taking mine back off and trying it.

Reactions: BWAF
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have a good site to just learn about shocks/ off road shocks in general? My knowledge is super limited, I do know that there is a lot of technology in these things that probably does not get the credit it deserves.

Shocks and tire design are two areas I would like to learn more about. At some point with our machine we have to hit up against the bell curve of diminishing returns so while there is a lot that can be done/ added. We are going to get to the point of is it worth the time/money/effort. Also have feeling it might be better not to go behind the curtain as i’ll f*** with s*** and overthink as with gunspring and powder speeds back when competitive shooting.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone have a good site to just learn about shocks/ off road shocks in general? My knowledge is super limited, I do know that there is a lot of technology in these things that probably does not get the credit it deserves.

Shocks and tire design are two areas I would like to learn more about. At some point with our machine we have to hit up against the bell curve of diminishing returns so while there is a lot that can be done/ added. We are going to get to the point of is it worth the time/money/effort. Also have feeling it might be better not to go behind the curtain as i’ll f*** with s*** and overthink as with gunspring and powder speeds back when competitive shooting.
Find a local shock rebuilder. Drag your machine to them, explain your desires. Have them re-valve and go for a ride.

Reactions: Bones and BWAF
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just satv arms.
Well I might have another project today - I ran the foxes prior to putting on the Highlifter lift. When I forest put on the lift I wanted to take it off right away but decided to hold on single arms and 30’s were a few weeks away. The AArms and 30’s helped improve the ride but I have always remembered how the ride was better for me pre lift with just foxes.

Thanks I will check it out

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t k
Find a local shock rebuilder. Drag your machine to them, explain your desires. Have them re-valve and go for a ride.
that is part of problem for me- I don’t know enough to describe or to isolate what I am feeling when I ride. I don’t have enough experience with different set ups to make accurate comparisions. Mine rides really good to me with exception of being a little too stiff (which I think i’ll remove lift first) I am more at stage of just wanting to learn about shocks how they function and what does what.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So i got to spend the last few days in WV testing out the 814's. Keep in mind I came from fox shocks in the front only and had the Highlifter lift.

I started with the recommended setting on the front an rear for compression and rebound. Right off the bat it was weird. The first trail we were on was smooth as butter. I found my self clenching for bumps that I never felt. It was a lot of small pothole size bumps and the ride just glided across them. Took some getting use to but loved it!

Next thing that happened was a little disappointing but I want to keep this 100% honest and up front.

One of the trails we were riding had lots of dips and humps. The front handled it beautiful. The rear.. not so much.. Now i was concerned from the start with the way the rear was sitting. But knew i needed to ride it first so everything could settle. When the shocks compressed It would rub my fenders pretty bad, note this was going 25-35 mph over these sections, not enough to jump, but enough for it to be an issue. I messed with the setting in the rear by raising the compression and lowering rebound but just couldnt make it stop. Im 90% sure i just needed more preload. Im also running 29" tires which I needed Aarms on the front, so might be looking to do those on the rear too.

I also had one instance on a straight stretch with the whoops type depressions that I was going too fast over (I was over confident after what the shocks were doing with most bumps). Rear end started bouncing bad and almost got sideways. I was holding on waiting for it to flip but never did.

I talked to Craig that night and explained where I was at. He is thinking defiantly preload to keep from rubbing, but maybe need heavier springs for my riding style. Also the 5 seat pioneers have more weight in the back (of course) so might need a little more adjusting because of that. He recommended some settings to try the next day, and they helped with the bigger stuff but the smaller stuff got works.. which I knew was going to be the case but this is only temporary for the weekend.

Overall:

I absolutely love them and its the best thing ive done to the Honda. Ride quality is wayyy better. I understood going into this that It was going to be trial and error for them to get setup right, but its teaching me about suspension which is what I wanted as well as being able to tailor it for my riding.

I feel very confident that with adjusting preload I will be able to bring the compression back down and get where the whole thing rides smooth. I also will probably quit trying to be cheap and get the rear SATV a arms if i can find them at their old price. The customer support from Craig is awesome. Really a stand up guy. Dont regret even the slightest going this route over the fox shocks.

K

Kevdp4

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
SW Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So i got to spend the last few days in WV testing out the 814's. Keep in mind I came from fox shocks in the front only and had the Highlifter lift.

I started with the recommended setting on the front an rear for compression and rebound. Right off the bat it was weird. The first trail we were on was smooth as butter. I found my self clenching for bumps that I never felt. It was a lot of small pothole size bumps and the ride just glided across them. Took some getting use to but loved it!

Next thing that happened was a little disappointing but I want to keep this 100% honest and up front.

One of the trails we were riding had lots of dips and humps. The front handled it beautiful. The rear.. not so much.. Now i was concerned from the start with the way the rear was sitting. But knew i needed to ride it first so everything could settle. When the shocks compressed It would rub my fenders pretty bad, note this was going 25-35 mph over these sections, not enough to jump, but enough for it to be an issue. I messed with the setting in the rear by raising the compression and lowering rebound but just couldnt make it stop. Im 90% sure i just needed more preload. Im also running 29" tires which I needed Aarms on the front, so might be looking to do those on the rear too.

I also had one instance on a straight stretch with the whoops type depressions that I was going too fast over (I was over confident after what the shocks were doing with most bumps). Rear end started bouncing bad and almost got sideways. I was holding on waiting for it to flip but never did.

I talked to Craig that night and explained where I was at. He is thinking defiantly preload to keep from rubbing, but maybe need heavier springs for my riding style. Also the 5 seat pioneers have more weight in the back (of course) so might need a little more adjusting because of that. He recommended some settings to try the next day, and they helped with the bigger stuff but the smaller stuff got works.. which I knew was going to be the case but this is only temporary for the weekend.

Overall:

I absolutely love them and its the best thing ive done to the Honda. Ride quality is wayyy better. I understood going into this that It was going to be trial and error for them to get setup right, but its teaching me about suspension which is what I wanted as well as being able to tailor it for my riding.

I feel very confident that with adjusting preload I will be able to bring the compression back down and get where the whole thing rides smooth. I also will probably quit trying to be cheap and get the rear SATV a arms if i can find them at their old price. The customer support from Craig is awesome. Really a stand up guy. Dont regret even the slightest going this route over the fox shocks.
Do you have 350# springs in the rear?

D

DDDonkey

Overall:

Thanks for the write up, keep us updated with your progress on getting the rear tuned.

Reactions: Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
350# springs on all 4. Might need to go to 400# in the rear with the weight I carry. Ride wont quite be as good though.

J

JTW

You still have the HL lift on vs with the Fox shocks? And what about spacers between the two setups?

Reactions: Ragnar406

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!