Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have 4+3 wheels with 27" tires, I think it might be sketchy with stock offsets. I might put the stock ones on for a run up/down the road just to see. It runs out of power at 47-48 mph. Thinking the tires might be too heavy to hit the limiter on top. That said, in the trails it's more fun.....bouncing between 3rd & 4th gear :)

TeamCheap

TeamCheap

Mar 10, 2018
southeast michigan
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
very exciting! If I was to do that I would most likely go to 2 inch spacers in the back for stability...BUT it would also open a whole bunch of trails for me where I don't bother going since I can't keep up with my buddies that cruises at 40-45 MPH. I might even have to put the....swaybar back?
40-45MPH, WOW the trails I like to ride would not allow that speed for to long, you'd be off into the tree's.There are some flat straight wide roads that are open to riding but they are boring and only really useful to me to get from point A to point B, not even fun on the raptor 660 I had cruising at 60+MPH.

I'd like a bit more top end speed in the P500 for those times I want to get back to our shack in a hurry.
'+

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
40-45MPH, WOW the trails I like to ride would not allow that speed for to long, you'd be off into the tree's.There are some flat straight wide roads that are open to riding but they are boring and only really useful to me to get from point A to point B, not even fun on the raptor 660 I had cruising at 60+MPH.

I'd like a bit more top end speed in the P500 for those times I want to get back to our shack in a hurry.
'+
It would be a great feeling to maybe just maybe not be the one eating all the dust for once! having said that, my normal trails(hunting lot) are negotiated at 2-3 and a few spots on L.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Replaced the front output (final) shaft seal tonight, just as I suspected, when the shaft moved back the O-ring rolled the seal and damaged it. I'll add a "how to" soon, it was pretty simple.

Reactions: Seg and Tflynn
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I swapped the original tires back on for a test run, In my opinion this is the gearing it should have come with from the factory. L is still low enough to to chores, plow, whatever. Now it can get the wheel speed/spin to feel "sporty".....if that's a word you could use to describe the P5..... top speed of 46mph GPS / 42mph on the dash. Still didn't hit the limiter which tells me the "speed limiter" isn't a thing....the ecu is just monitoring RPMs for a given gear.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Another update to post #1, hit 200 miles since swap & my thoughts on tires size/weight with this gearing.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@906UP , how does reverse feel?
Works great, my rig is a 2016....reverse & L(1st gear) were incredibly low to start with.

Reactions: Seg
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Drives me nuts when I'm plowing! Feels like the engine is about to blow up in my face, All that noise for 1 MPH
I'll do a test in reverse and see what I get for a speed(gps) if you want, it's still slow but not nearly as annoying as before. The new final shaft gears give a 20% increase in speed.....20% decrease in engine RPM at a given MPH....across the board.

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
I'll do a test in reverse and see what I get for a speed(gps) if you want, it's still slow but not nearly as annoying as before. The new final shaft gears give a 20% increase in speed.....20% decrease in engine RPM at a given MPH....across the board.
its probably more then 1 MPH stock. It just feels like it!

D

Duckhunt

Thanks 906UP. I was going to catch up with you on here to see if it's still working well. I'm ordering the gears - sounds like your riding is a lot like mine, tighter trails with forest roads mixed in. Seems like I'm always really high in RPMs or too low in next gear for my speed comfort level. FYI - I'm running 26" Bighorn 2.0's, Just want a lower rpm for my speeds and I can count the seconds I've spent in L (<22 :))

QUESTION: So now knowing what you know is buying the Speedodrd worth it, knowing it'll be off anyway and doesn't factor to anything in the ECU (mine's 2015)? I mean every guy likes to stare at gauges and stuff but I figured I could get a dash mounted gps speedo for price of Speedodrd and be accurate.

Figured if I'm 18-20 Bud Light's invested into doing locker, A-Arm teeth & Sway bar removal, I might as well splurge on a case of pounders and do this gear swap. I love this website! Then for next season the WE's.

Reactions: CFECO and mrjeff42
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Why all that work 906UP? I hear tell that blue P5's are fast by color itself or is that a myth?

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
There is some minor interference with the new 25T gear and the case, you could grind the case a little but I chose to "clearance" gear a little bit on one side. The area that I ground is above the pitchline of the gear so I have no concerns about a decrease in strength.

Just noticed the comment on the pitchline. The change will reduce the contact ratio, which will increase noise/smoothness. Apparently it was not enough to notice.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks 906UP. I was going to catch up with you on here to see if it's still working well. I'm ordering the gears - sounds like your riding is a lot like mine, tighter trails with forest roads mixed in. Seems like I'm always really high in RPMs or too low in next gear for my speed comfort level. FYI - I'm running 26" Bighorn 2.0's, Just want a lower rpm for my speeds and I can count the seconds I've spent in L (<22 :))

QUESTION: So now knowing what you know is buying the Speedodrd worth it, knowing it'll be off anyway and doesn't factor to anything in the ECU (mine's 2015)? I mean every guy likes to stare at gauges and stuff but I figured I could get a dash mounted gps speedo for price of Speedodrd and be accurate.

Figured if I'm 18-20 Bud Light's invested into doing locker, A-Arm teeth & Sway bar removal, I might as well splurge on a case of pounders and do this gear swap. I love this website! Then for next season the WE's.
The Speedodrd is necessary, otherwise you will get a error on the dash and go into limp mode. It's only purpose is to keep the ECU happy.

Reactions: Duckhunt

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!