Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
There is some minor interference with the new 25T gear and the case, you could grind the case a little but I chose to "clearance" gear a little bit on one side. The area that I ground is above the pitchline of the gear so I have no concerns about a decrease in strength.

Just noticed the comment on the pitchline. The change will reduce the contact ratio, which will increase noise/smoothness. Apparently it was not enough to notice.

I haven't notice any "new" noise, it's already so noisy how could you tell o_O

Reactions: mrjeff42 and Seg
harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
That is a great upgrade. 2 questions, how did you know the gear numbers? and what is a SpeedoDRD? How would the speedoDRD know you changed the gears. I am always re-gearing cars and motorcycles. You know you can always go back, if you don't like it. I drove my 500 to a trail head today, about 7 or 8 miles, and I drove at 39-40 mph. At that speed you are turning about 6800RPM, I'm told. That would reduce engine speed to about 5400.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That is a great upgrade. 2 questions, how did you know the gear numbers? and what is a SpeedoDRD? How would the speedoDRD know you changed the gears. I am always re-gearing cars and motorcycles. You know you can always go back, if you don't like it. I drove my 500 to a trail head today, about 7 or 8 miles, and I drove at 39-40 mph. At that speed you are turning about 6800RPM, I'm told. That would reduce engine speed to about 5400.
You guy's are crazy. , HA!

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500

I found your earlier post, You already answered my questions.

Reactions: 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

I spent some time looking over the Honda parts diagrams. The Rancher, Rubicon & P500 all share the same engine structure.....engine cases & most internals. I found that the Rancher 420 Auto had a lower gear reduction on the final shaft than the 420M, Rubi & P5.... 37/25 (1.48) vs 30/16 (1.875). The parts list shows the number of teeth on the gears, the counter shaft & final shaft are the same across the engine family so that told me the gears would fit the shaft & cases.

The SpeedoDRD "corrects" the signal from the P5 speed sensor, the ecu is expecting 16 pulses per revolution of the counter shaft, with the 25 tooth gear the ecu would see 25 pulses per revolution and see it as a problem and give an error..... "-" on the dash. The SpeedoDRD reduces the signal by a programmed percentage, I think I settled on 33% or there abouts to keep the ecu happy.

In hindsight I think I may not have needed to grind clearance on the counter shaft gear, their is a 10mm spacer used on this model that would set the gear clear of the case. I might tear it back down this winter to inspect and install it then. So far I've put on about 500 miles since the change and am very happy with it.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
I was running down a paved road at 48mph for 10 miles this weekend! :eek:
How did your tires like that...we rode in Wisconsin this weekend and took a bunch of roads to connect to some trails and it just killed our tires. 40 min on blacktop was no bueno...

Reactions: harleyjohn45
harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
How did your tires like that...we rode in Wisconsin this weekend and took a bunch of roads to connect to some trails and it just killed our tires. 40 min on blacktop was no bueno...

I was on backtop for 7 or 8 miles, I believe the asphalt will eat up tires. It's that or trailer.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
They're still holding air o_O

harleyjohn45

harleyjohn45

Aug 22, 2018
Alto, NM
Ownership

1. 500
I spent some time looking over the Honda parts diagrams. The Rancher, Rubicon & P500 all share the same engine structure.....engine cases & most internals. I found that the Rancher 420 Auto had a lower gear reduction on the final shaft than the 420M, Rubi & P5.... 37/25 (1.48) vs 30/16 (1.875). The parts list shows the number of teeth on the gears, the counter shaft & final shaft are the same across the engine family so that told me the gears would fit the shaft & cases.

The SpeedoDRD "corrects" the signal from the P5 speed sensor, the ecu is expecting 16 pulses per revolution of the counter shaft, with the 25 tooth gear the ecu would see 25 pulses per revolution and see it as a problem and give an error..... "-" on the dash. The SpeedoDRD reduces the signal by a programmed percentage, I think I settled on 33% or there abouts to keep the ecu happy.

In hindsight I think I may not have needed to grind clearance on the counter shaft gear, their is a 10mm spacer used on this model that would set the gear clear of the case. I might tear it back down this winter to inspect and install it then. So far I've put on about 500 miles since the change and am very happy with it.

Thanks for the explanation, I suspect you are a good mechanic.

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
They're still holding air o_O
Ha. Well so are ours, but man did they get chewed up hard on the asphalt...good day riding but the tires payed for it dearly unfortunately

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ha. Well so are ours, but man did they get chewed up hard on the asphalt...good day riding but the tires payed for it dearly unfortunately
Where in Wisconsin were y’all riding? What kind of tires are you running that they tore up that quick? Even my bighorns lasted 2k miles with jacked up alignment on blacktop and gravel mostly

Shadesmn

Shadesmn

Lifetime Member
Aug 19, 2015
Ramsey, MN
Ownership

1. 500
We were near Gordon and Minong. It didn't help that it was 80 some degrees and we were on the tar for close to an hour.

D

Duckhunt

I'm glad I saw this. I have the gears and speedordrd ordered and also now noticed the 75146-750-000 spacer on the Rancher Diagram. It's only a couple bucks if I decide to use it or grind case and/or gear.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm glad I saw this. I have the gears and speedordrd ordered and also now noticed the 75146-750-000 spacer on the Rancher Diagram. It's only a couple bucks if I decide to use it or grind case and/or gear.
Let me know how it turns out, my only concern would be to pay close attention to stack up dimesion... gear, spacer & thrust washer.... and check that there is enough room.

D

Duckhunt

Let me know how it turns out, my only concern would be to pay close attention to stack up dimesion... gear, spacer & thrust washer.... and check that there is enough room.

Absolutely. I was actually an automotive machinist for 5+ years not terribly long ago so putting larger parts in stock blocks/castings is my middle name! If everything isn't here by the weekend it'll be next and I'll take a pic or 4 if it looks like it'll work and update.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!