P500 A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Oh I definitely will be contact y’all when I get ready. Could you or @Duckhunt maybe get a in cab video or it? I’m lucky enough I can bring my sxs to work and work on it. But for a big enough project like that I need to wait until he takes his summer vacation. I don’t want to tear it down during right now during hunting season or I would do it over the holidays.
LOL same here! Unless you want a video of me pulling my ice fishing sled 10-15mph across a frozen lake till there's too much snow for that, which could be any day now! Kidding, but also dead serious... Next spring I'm your guy!

@Spellmajr for the spacer I'm curious what the exact OD of the 25 tooth gear is. If you have a micrometer or even caliper measure it up! Realistically you take the difference of the old and new gear's radiuses (.5 diameter) and use that to be nuts on. Won't be exact because odd tooth count gear doesn't have a tooth 180 degrees across but add a few .001" should be close. Obviously some tolerance.

Yep I understand that good. I use to machine a little bit but I missed turning wrenches.

Reactions: Duckhunt
TheAverageJon

TheAverageJon

Jan 9, 2019
Hickory, NC
Ownership

1. 500
hate to dig up an old thread, I am gonna start this project and wondering if there SpeedoDRD works with the 2019 P500

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
hate to dig up an old thread, I am gonna start this project and wondering if there SpeedoDRD works with the 2019 P500
I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as the speed sensor is the same as the previous years you're good to go. The SpeedoDRD only adjusts the signal from the sensor. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

Reactions: mrjeff42
TheAverageJon

TheAverageJon

Jan 9, 2019
Hickory, NC
Ownership

1. 500
I don't see why it wouldn't, as long as the speed sensor is the same as the previous years you're good to go. The SpeedoDRD only adjusts the signal from the sensor. Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.
Thanks for the replay, gonna start the process on Friday.. only thing I’m worried about is grinding down the gear for clearance

Reactions: Eltobgi
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for the replay, gonna start the process on Friday.. only thing I’m worried about is grinding down the gear for clearance
It's not hard to do, just make it look similar to my pic in the 1st post, grind a little and test fit, grind a little more and test fit......and so on, it'll be plain as day once you get to that point.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have a few of the "special" washers I used as a spacer for the speed sensor. It is a heavy duty version of a 6mm flat washer that just happens to be the correct thickness. At the moment I only have a couple but can probably find more if needed. If anyone is planning to do this mod send me a PM with your address and I'll send you one for free if you make a small donation to the site.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes in '17 they went from a 1.875:1 ratio to a 1.818:1 ratio. 3% difference.
I have a dumb question, the P 5's are narrow tanks that fit the restricted trails and tight trails why would you want to go faster, other than road hoping to get to another trail?

Reactions: Duckhunt
D

Duckhunt

In the woods up here like MN, WI and the UP, a lot of the designated ATV trails do connect with lots and lots of forest roads, so essentially you are road hopping here and there but on the same trail.

And for me personally it's not necessarily going faster, but now cruising at 35-40 is just that, a cruise! My ears don't ring from the engine singing high notes to heaven! Plus being able to hold the same gear on a trail is an added bonus. I mean the paddle shifting is what it's all about, but it does make a difference not having to grab 4th for 100' before the next corner, etc.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have a dumb question, the P 5's are narrow tanks that fit the restricted trails and tight trails why would you want to go faster, other than road hoping to get to another trail?
Never a dumb question @Smitty335 ..... my original intent with this mod wasn't to make it faster but to bring rpms down at trail speed, top speed is just a way to measure the difference. UP here where I am we don't have width restrictions or too many "official" trails, mostly forest roads, 2 tracks, etc. Most are wide enough you could run a YXZ down at full chap and not hit anything. For guys like me who thought the P5 was geared too low from the factory and wished it had another gear this mod was the fix, it feels like we have a "6th gear" now but L or 1st is still plenty low enough to tow, rock crawl, etc, in fact I still shift into 2nd right off the bat and rarely use 1st gear.

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Never a dumb question @Smitty335 ..... my original intent with this mod wasn't to make it faster but to bring rpms down at trail speed, top speed is just a way to measure the difference. UP here where I am we don't have width restrictions or too many "official" trails, mostly forest roads, 2 tracks, etc. Most are wide enough you could run a YXZ down at full chap and not hit anything. For guys like me who thought the P5 was geared too low from the factory and wished it had another gear this mod was the fix, it feels like we have a "6th gear" now but L or 1st is still plenty low enough to tow, rock crawl, etc, in fact I still shift into 2nd right off the bat and rarely use 1st gear.
The ol' donkey ain't bouncing on the rev limiter when we "cruise" the trails now

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
What are you up to with this Smitty.........:confused:

Reactions: Eltobgi
99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
@906UP, @Duckhunt I just ordered the parts for the swap and i have a few questions.

1- Can you provide specifications for the chamfer on the gear? I would like to have the parts ready for a quick R&R.

2- What is the best way to loosen the preload on the front driveshaft?

Thank you guys for figuring this mod out and posting for all to see. You make this forum a better place.

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@906UP, @Duckhunt I just ordered the parts for the swap and i have a few questions.

1- Can you provide specifications for the chamfer on the gear? I would like to have the parts ready for a quick R&R.

2- What is the best way to loosen the preload on the front driveshaft?

Thank you guys for figuring this mod out and posting for all to see. You make this forum a better place.

1. Its best to chamfer the gear to fit once you're at that point. I don't have a measurements/specifications for that but it is quite easy. You'll see what I mean once you get it torn down.

2. To remove front driveshaft preload unbolt the front diff mounting bolts and pull forward a inch or so. You do not need to remove the axles or cable.

If you need the washer for the speed sensor shim send me a PM and I'll mail you one for no cost if you make a donation to the Hondasxs site.

99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
1. Its best to chamfer the gear to fit once you're at that point. I don't have a measurements/specifications for that but it is quite easy. You'll see what I mean once you get it torn down.

2. To remove front driveshaft preload unbolt the front diff mounting bolts and pull forward a inch or so. You do not need to remove the axles or cable.

If you need the washer for the speed sensor shim send me a PM and I'll mail you one for no cost if you make a donation to the Hondasxs site.
Thanks for the info! Save the washer for the next guy..I am going to laser cut a few from .105" Stainless. I can supply more if you run out.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info! Save the washer for the next guy..I am going to laser cut a few from .105" Stainless. I can supply more if you run out.
You have a laser?
I need a good contact at work for laser stuff if you are interested.

Reactions: 99Burban
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Just ordered the gear set. Gearing on this thing drives me nuts.... Is there a link to a washer that will work? Hate to bug 99Burban or 906UP (ha totally just got the Upper reference in your handle, duh) every time one of use takes this one on.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!