P500 A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

TheAverageJon

TheAverageJon

Jan 9, 2019
Hickory, NC
Ownership

1. 500
The only changes for the 17, 18, 19 is the addition of auto shift. Maybe these are more temperamental about the speed/rpm/gear selection. If the dash isn't showing an error your close or good to go, you could fine tune if by moving in .5% increments and see if it gets better or worse.
So I am able to use manual mode and get to 49mph with smooth shifts with -29, in auto it shifts at very very high rpms a little rough but not awful. I really don’t know what to do.. I 9/10 times use manual mode anyways but I’d like the auto to work correctly too

D

Duckhunt

So I am able to use manual mode and get to 49mph with smooth shifts with -29, in auto it shifts at very very high rpms a little rough but not awful. I really don’t know what to do.. I 9/10 times use manual mode anyways but I’d like the auto to work correctly too
You know i Just thought of something Jon. @906UP and I have pre '17's which came with 16 tooth drive gears. When we went to the 25 tooth, on paper 25 minus 36% (speedodrd) = 16T. Your's came stock with a 22 tooth drive gear. 25 - 12% = 22T. Set yours at -12% and test!!!!! Go! Go!

Last edited by a moderator:
TheAverageJon

TheAverageJon

Jan 9, 2019
Hickory, NC
Ownership

1. 500
You know i Just thought of something Jon. @906UP and I have pre '17's which came with 16 tooth drive gears. When we went to the 25 tooth, on paper 25 minus 36% (speedodrd) = 16T. Your's came stock with a 22 tooth drive gear. 25 - 12% = 22T. Set yours at -12% and test!!!!! Go! Go!
-12 is the magic spot, on first go it shifted 1st and 2nd but trying to go to third it wouldn’t shift.. it was like bouncing rpms like it does when you hit the rev limit in 5th, so I swapped to manual to move into third.. switched back to auto and all the gears shifted perfect. Slowed down and they all down shifted, sped up and this time it shifted through all gears perfect, not sure why it hung up going from 2nd to 3rd

D

Duckhunt

-12 is the magic spot, on first go it shifted 1st and 2nd but trying to go to third it wouldn’t shift.. it was like bouncing rpms like it does when you hit the rev limit in 5th, so I swapped to manual to move into third.. switched back to auto and all the gears shifted perfect. Slowed down and they all down shifted, sped up and this time it shifted through all gears perfect, not sure why it hung up going from 2nd to 3rd
Awesome sauce! Must have been a glitch in the matrix on that one shift... Also, I commend you for modding a 2019. Stock stuff is boring.

Reactions: 906UP and Eltobgi
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Great news, sorry I've been out all day on the sled so coverage has been spotty. Thanks @Duckhunt for helping out. Glad you guys got it figured out. Hope you like the new gears.

TheAverageJon

TheAverageJon

Jan 9, 2019
Hickory, NC
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome sauce! Must have been a glitch in the matrix on that one shift... Also, I commend you for modding a 2019. Stock stuff is boring.
Thanks for all the help! Everyone has been giving me s*** about killing my warranty but I don’t care I like to modify anything and everything. I only have about 60 miles on the machine lol. Next up is the torq locker

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Thanks for catching this, I updated the original post with the data for 2017 & up models.

Reactions: Duckhunt
dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Everyone has been giving me s*** about killing my warranty

You know, warranty is only affected if they catch the mod. Unless you have a direct issue w/ the counter shaft or gears, I HIGHLY doubt any dealer would catch it.... Easy for me to say w/ my out of coverage '16 MY... lol. Making sure the case gasket goop looks factory-clean should be all that is needed to keep it covered. ;)

@Duckhunt Awesome catch with the maths!!!! This thread deserves a sticky for sure now.... covers all MY P5s now! Im stoked for gear set to show up.

@906UP PM to follow on a washer... looked everywhere in my parts bin. Tons of M6, but nothing that thick. I found a nylon M8 that is 3mm thick, but not sure it would work.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
C'mon Trig..... just one more mod :eek:
I'll even come help for some Miller Lite :)

Only thing I'm worried about with this gearing change is losing the low end power because I plow with it? I actually use L when pushing a full heavy blade. Maybe after the Takeover I'll seriously consider doing this. To be honest, I'm sick of tearing this machine down every couple of months. Just had the whole back end taken off for the exhaust and AFR mod. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Eltobgi and 906UP
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Only thing I'm worried about with this gearing change is losing the low end power because I plow with it? I actually use L when pushing a full heavy blade. Maybe after the Takeover I'll seriously consider doing this. To be honest, I'm sick of tearing this machine down every couple of months. Just had the whole back end taken off for the exhaust and AFR mod. :rolleyes:
Come UP & ride w us this summer and you can try mine out for comparison. I still think L is pretty low, most of the time I skip over it.

Reactions: Eltobgi and trigger
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I always do to other than plowing. Trying one out with the mod would be awesome. How deep into the UP are you?
Just around the corner from @aprils_fool.....lol
About 40 miles NW of the bridge

aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Come UP & ride w us this summer and you can try mine out for comparison. I still think L is pretty low, most of the time I skip over it.
We need to make this happen guys

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: trigger
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@906UP I’m thinking a sticker to recognize you for this mod would be great;)
20190315 181235

Here you go, not as fancy as the @trigger Shield decal but theyll work. Anyone who I know has done the mod will get one in the mail sometime next week.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!