P500 A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
To add to that my local dealer matched the online price at Hondapartshouse.com.

$21 for gear 621 and $32 for gear 631.

I won’t be doing this until the first week in June. I just want to make sure I get everything on hand. My bosses will be out of town and I am lucky enough I can carry it to work with me when they aren’t there.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Since it increases top end. Does it take any torque from low end/ Or, does it feel same?
How much you notice the low end change depends on tire size & weight. With stock tires I can see no loss on the bottom. With some heavy 27's it would bog in 4th & 5th in mud or sand. I think the optimum tire size for this mod would be a 25" or a lightweight 26"
For what it's worth I still skip L(1st) when starting off from a stop.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Got the rear case cover back on and can't turn the output shaft by hand.... :confused:

Back apart she comes. I'm guessing that I didn't chamfer the gear enough. Does the clearance issue happen between the case and the gear, or the rear case cover?

It is in nuetral too ;)

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Got the rear case cover back on and can't turn the output shaft by hand.... :confused:

Back apart she comes. I'm guessing that I didn't chamfer the gear enough. Does the clearance issue happen between the case and the gear, or the rear case cover?

It is in nuetral too ;)
^^ @906UP or @Duckhunt any advice?
As long as it's not locked in 4WD that's really the only thing it could be. The gear needs to be chamfered to clear the engine case, not the rear cover. The chamfer needs to go on towards the front.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Thanks. Same thought here. Can't be front diff, as I Saw your troubles with the front output seal and dropped the shaft. Figured Id do new seals while I'm at it.

Thanks again 906.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Well fellas, think I've got it this time. I ground off about 40% more than I originally had. Best piece of advice I can give with this gear mod, test fit your case cover with 3-4 bolts torqued to spec and make sure the output shaft(s) turn by hand BEFORE you goop up the gasket surface....:rolleyes:

C345C7E5 9CDD 457A 946C D4E55173A3AE 084FF579 7558 49EE AA89 CBBC34EC60C8

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Well fellas, think I've got it this time. I ground off about 40% more than I originally had. Best piece of advice I can give with this gear mod, test fit your case cover with 3-4 bolts torqued to spec and make sure the output shaft(s) turn by hand BEFORE you goop up the gasket surface....:rolleyes:

View attachment 126641 View attachment 126642

I plan on making measurement when I do mine. I would love to be able to machine a few down and make for a quick install for some people.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I plan on making measurement when I do mine. I would love to be able to machine a few down and make for a quick install for some people.
I thought about doing this.... making a "kit" with the gears, Speedo DRD, spacer & instructions but didnt think there was enough call for it. I also wonder if it's a "one size fits all". Since we're grinding the gear to fit the cast side of the case it may need to be fit per machine. Casting tolerances are usually on the loose side of the spectrum.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Just finished last night, about 11. Hitting the trails with a few forum members today. Should put a good 30-50 miles on the new gears. I'll report back soon. Initial test ride last night, it's a whole new animal! Best mod on p5 forum IMO. Locker is great, but this makes the buggy soooo much more fun. Lower RPM,nice and smooth. First is no longer useless. I noticed that my machine is MUCH quieter too. I think the finer teeth make less gear noise.

Grinding the chamfer in the gear isn't a big deal. I did it with an angle grinder. Bench grinder yet to be installed in New house. I just was being conservative first go round. Thought I had it because it didn't touch with case cover off. Just need to make sure you test fit with cover on prior to gooping. I'm throwing together a YouTube vid of my experience doing this. Should be posted shortly. Hopefully it will help others.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Verdict is in. Gears are the best mod I have done on the thing to date. We road about 30 miles, lots of loose sugar sand, some sloppy clay, a few mud holes. I prefer the taller gearing and using L/1st in the slop vs. stock gearing and second. Everything just feels more sorted and less buzzy. Can cruise around at a nice clip and not get annoyed by excessive RPMs. I also think there is less 'clunking' going on, and far less gear-on-gear noise coming from the rear-end. All in all, exactly what I was hoping for!

Garmin says top speed was 38.1mph. That sounds about right. I opened it up twice, but the roads were snotty clay--so top speed run wasnt happening. Could hardly see in the rain. That said, I'm running 27" 'Zillas. They actually measure 26" at my preferred pressure--I think around 5.5psi. I wouldnt change a thing. Turns them fine. I can break them loose in 3rd no sweat. Big reason I went with this buggy, I cant stand CVTs and the constant revs they seem to force the driver to maintain. Maybe I'm just old school, but I love to lug this little tractor around.

I wish Honda would combine the things I love about the P5 and P7 into one awesome small/mid-sized machine. 700cc, suicide doors and nets, 5 speed manual (no torque converter), factory locker, a dumpbox, and more suspension travel--I'd trade in right now. Until then, the 906UP P5 scratches the itch.

Kudos and thanks to @906UP , @Duckhunt and the others on this thread who had some input. What an awesome mod!

Capture

W

washingtonnnn

Aug 4, 2018
Cle Elum, WA
Ownership

1. 500
Finally got everything put back together and the new gears are incredible! Big thanks to 906UP for everything. I can now cruise down the road at the speed limit comfortably.

I am having issues with the Speedodrd though. I've tried -30.0 to -36.0 and can't seem to find the sweet spot. Has anybody cured the limp mode permanently with the right setting?

Reactions: aprils_fool
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Finally got everything put back together and the new gears are incredible! Big thanks to 906UP for everything. I can now cruise down the road at the speed limit comfortably.

I am having issues with the Speedodrd though. I've tried -30.0 to -36.0 and can't seem to find the sweet spot. Has anybody cured the limp mode permanently with the right setting?
What year is your P5? Depending on the year of your P5 the settings will be in the -36% range for 2016 & older(16T gear) or -12% range for 2017 & newer(22T gear).

W

washingtonnnn

Aug 4, 2018
Cle Elum, WA
Ownership

1. 500
What year is your P5? Depending on the year of your P5 the settings will be in the -36% range for 2016 & older(16T gear) or -12% range for 2017 & newer(22T gear).

It's a 2016. I've found that some settings are better than others, but I can't find the exact spot. Does yours still go into limp mode occasionally?

Reactions: aprils_fool
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It's a 2016. I've found that some settings are better than others, but I can't find the exact spot. Does yours still go into limp mode occasionally?
No it doesn't, it took a bit of playing around to get it, I think I settled on -33.3% on mine.

A good test is run wide open in 5th and watch the speed, it should read around 41-42.....dash reading not your actual GPS speed.....If it reads more go more minus, if it reads less then go with less minus. The trick is too get the speed sensor to match the engine rpm that the ecu is expecting.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!