P500 A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

Woodro

Woodro

Jun 22, 2019
Rome,Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm going to be out town next week. It will be the following week before doing anything else. I will check the pin to see if it is out 180* first. If you will PM at Woody Wyatt with your number I will call to let you know or if I have more questions. Thanks !!

Woodro

Woodro

Jun 22, 2019
Rome,Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
It's possible it might just be 180* out of alignment, might be worth pulling it out and rotating it to see if that works. I'll pm you my number, if you have questions you can call or text me.
If you would PM your number Woody Wyatt.

Reactions: aprils_fool
Woodro

Woodro

Jun 22, 2019
Rome,Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I had this problem on one of the machines I worked on. I damaged the gear position switch inside the cover.(Honda P/N 35759-HL5-A01). I swear I put everything together the right way but the amount of empty beer cans proved me wrong.

I would check all of the wiring first. Hopefully you just have a loose connection. Then I would check the shift angle sensor (Honda P/N 37700-HP5-601) for correct installation. If that doesn't fix it you may have to take the case apart and check/replace the gear position sensor.

The gear position sensor is only $26 at partzilla.
Honda Side by Side 2015 OEM Parts Diagram for Rear Crankcase Cover | Partzilla.com

There isn't too much that can go wrong so stay patient and you will be riding in no time!

I took the rear motor cover back off and found the shift angle sensor was in the wrong position. I fix the shift angle sensor and set my percentage at - 33% . It straightened everything out. My P5 is running better than it ever has. I appreciate the help from 906up and 99burban. Thanks works great.
View attachment 139482

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
200 miles in. No regrets! I run through fuel because all I do is ride roads now but I wouldn’t trade this mod for the world.

33666DF3 80E6 4B97 8515 7EC665394EF5

Celdridge1

Celdridge1

Jul 25, 2018
Markville,MN
Ownership

1. 500
You think theres some guy at Honda looking at the monthly parts sales & wondering why they're having a rash of Rancher 420 auto trans/gear failures......lol
I just placed my order for the gears through Partzilla. They will be here (MN) in 2-5 days. I've done the locker and the front end didn't fall apart, so I'm thinking I can do this.

Celdridge1

Celdridge1

Jul 25, 2018
Markville,MN
Ownership

1. 500
906UP, do you have any of those washers left? I've made a donation. I'm not sure what PM is; I'm not on facebook or twitter. Thanks for the info, Craig

Celdridge1

Celdridge1

Jul 25, 2018
Markville,MN
Ownership

1. 500
I'm in the process of ordering the SpeedoDRD from SpeedoDRD. They only list the H3 which in the pull-down menu is for 2015-17 P5s. Is this the one for 2018s? They mention ordering a universal for any models not listed, but that requires more thinking on my part to install.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
906UP, do you have any of those washers left? I've made a donation. I'm not sure what PM is; I'm not on facebook or twitter. Thanks for the info, Craig
Yes, I still have a few. A "PM" is a private message, I sent you one, it will show up in the mail icon next to your notifications at the top of the page.

I'm in the process of ordering the SpeedoDRD from SpeedoDRD. They only list the H3 which in the pull-down menu is for 2015-17 P5s. Is this the one for 2018s? They mention ordering a universal for any models not listed, but that requires more thinking on my part to install.
The H3 works for the newer models as well, the speed sensor hasn't changed.

dpnorth

dpnorth

North adventures south
Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Crawfordville FL
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand

3. Talon X
Hey y'all. I finally uploaded the videos I made while doing this mod on my YouTube channel.
Check it out before you crack the case open. It may help.

@906UP Maybe throw these links on the first/main post in an edit if you deem them worthy?

Not worthy

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Hey y'all. I finally uploaded the videos I made while doing this mod on my YouTube channel.
Check it out before you crack the case open. It may help.

@906UP Maybe throw these links on the first/main post in an edit if you deem them worthy?

View attachment 145871
Awesome job @dpnorth , I added them to the 1st post.

Celdridge1

Celdridge1

Jul 25, 2018
Markville,MN
Ownership

1. 500
Yes, I still have a few. A "PM" is a private message, I sent you one, it will show up in the mail icon next to your notifications at the top of the page.

The H3 works for the newer models as well, the speed sensor hasn't changed.
The washer was waiting for me when I got to the cabin. I've done the mod, almost. I have the P5 mechanically back together; I'll mess with Speedrd in the morning. So far no surprises. The hardest part is getting enough room to get to all the bolts. Also, it took me a while to figure out where all the wires went. But that's what I get for doing the teardown before I had all the parts. I had to wait a week on parts. Thank goodness I took a lot of pictures. Thanks for the help, 906.

Celdridge1

Celdridge1

Jul 25, 2018
Markville,MN
Ownership

1. 500
Houston we have a problem. The 2018 P5 won't start (doesn't fire). The display indicates it's in N which it is. I can downshift to R, but I can only upshift to 2. I programmed my Speedo to -12.5%. I'm hoping that there's an electrical fix to this. I tried to make sure the internal gear selector was aligned with the N in the case. Is there a way to adjust the gear selector from the outside in case I have it 180 degrees out of wack?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Houston we have a problem. The 2018 P5 won't start (doesn't fire). The display indicates it's in N which it is. I can downshift to R, but I can only upshift to 2. I programmed my Speedo to -12.5%. I'm hoping that there's an electrical fix to this. I tried to make sure the internal gear selector was aligned with the N in the case. Is there a way to adjust the gear selector from the outside in case I have it 180 degrees out of wack?
Is the starter cranking?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!