Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Houston we have a problem. The 2018 P5 won't start (doesn't fire). The display indicates it's in N which it is. I can downshift to R, but I can only upshift to 2. I programmed my Speedo to -12.5%. I'm hoping that there's an electrical fix to this. I tried to make sure the internal gear selector was aligned with the N in the case. Is there a way to adjust the gear selector from the outside in case I have it 180 degrees out of wack?
I'll send you my cell # in a PM, stand by

Celdridge1

Celdridge1

Jul 25, 2018
Markville,MN
Ownership

1. 500
Many Kudos to 906Up for much-needed guidance and conversation. My 2018 P5 hit 46+ mph on GPS. The P5's speedometer was at 35. Thus, I didn't hit the limiter. I programmed the SpeedoDRD at -12.5% and didn't have to make any adjustments and did not get the dreaded "-". I have 27" tires. This is a very doable mod.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
400 miles on this mod and zero problems! I just do a lot more street riding to and from Corp land now. This pic was last night on one of me evening loops.

9E939D53 D94C 446F 8EA5 B9DDF2E9E6CA

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Although I have all I need(I think) to do the upgrade, I haven't had the time, bought a used truck camper that's in need of structural repair.
However, I am not quite comfortable with the SpeedoDRD gizmo. Where it plugs in and do you leave it plugged in permanent? Also does it matter that my Speedometer is in KM/H?

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Although I have all I need(I think) to do the upgrade, I haven't had the time, bought a used truck camper that's in need of structural repair.
However, I am not quite comfortable with the SpeedoDRD gizmo. Where it plugs in and do you leave it plugged in permanent? Also does it matter that my Speedometer is in KM/H?

Yes it stays permanently
Plugged it. But I zipped tied it up out of the way and in an easy to reach place. Just swap your speedometer over to MPH then once it’s all set swap it back to KM/h and the settings should still be there.

Reactions: aprils_fool
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The units shown on the dash are irrelevant, the ecu is converting the signal to MPH/KmPH, the signal from the speed sensor doesn't change based on the dash display. The speedoDRD only modifies the speed sensor signal that the ECU sees, as far as its concerned nothing has changed. Don't overthink it. ;)

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
The units shown on the dash are irrelevant, the ecu is converting the signal to MPH/KmPH, the signal from the speed sensor doesn't change based on the dash display. The speedoDRD only modifies the speed sensor signal that the ECU sees, as far as its concerned nothing has changed. Don't overthink it. ;)
thanks guys, and that plugs in the Honda harness under the hood? The gizmo doesn't look super waterproof!?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
thanks guys, and that plugs in the Honda harness under the hood? The gizmo doesn't look super waterproof!?
It plugs into the speed sensor then you plug the P5 harness into the other side, I ran the other end up and zip tied it to the airbox, I'm 2 yrs in with this mod and haven't had any problems, I've had the Donkey in water over the seats many times since.....no worries

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
.....the speed sensor is on the rear engine case that you remove to change the gears

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
@906UP , I'm interested in doing this revision. Would you explain to me how this is different than just increasing tire size? It'll help me make up my mind, thanks in advance, from a guy who's a little slow.... (see what I did there?) lol

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
@906UP , I'm interested in doing this revision. Would you explain to me how this is different than just increasing tire size? It'll help me make up my mind, thanks in advance, from a guy who's a little slow.... (see what I did there?) lol
It's not any different except that you don't have the extra rotational weight of larger tires. Remember every pound of static weight acts like 7 pounds when rotating. The extra mass of big tires rob a lot of power.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm perplexed, why is it important to have a speedo correct unless you are driving in a school zone? I never look at the speedo meter, but I don't drive a lot of roads? In Colorado we did, I just ran 5 mph less than the limit, I'm on vacation! HA!

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I'm perplexed, why is it important to have a speedo correct unless you are driving in a school zone? I never look at the speedo meter, but I don't drive a lot of roads?
The speedo is irrelevant, if the ecu sees a signal that it considers "out of range" compared to engine rpm it goes into limp mode. The speedoDRD is only to keep the ecu happy.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The speedo is irrelevant, if the ecu sees a signal that it considers "out of range" compared to engine rpm it goes into limp mode. The speedoDRD is only to keep the ecu happy.
I hate limp mode! HA! I put larger tires on our P1 and haven't had any issues, is this common with the P5's? A lot of people ask me how fast our P1 will run, I reply, I've had it to 45 mph, that's the truth, I don't care to know how fast it will run. Even now I have DOT approved tires, I don't care! I can see with the short wheelbase of the P5, why Honda would do this, be safe!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I hate limp mode! HA! I put larger tires on our P1 and haven't had any issues, is this common with the P5's? A lot of people ask me how fast our P1 will run, I reply, I've had it to 45 mph, that's the truth, I don't care to know how fast it will run. Even now I have DOT approved tires, I don't care! I can see with the short wheelbase of the P5, why Honda would do this, be safe!
I think we've had this conversation before but I'll explain again, this mod....for me anyways.... was to get the engine rpm down at trail speeds, which for us is 25-35 mph, not to see how fast we can make it go. The top speed is just a way to validate since there isn't a tachometer on the rig.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I think we've had this conversation before but I'll explain again, this mod....for me anyways.... was to get the engine rpm down at trail speeds, which for us is 25-35 mph, not to see how fast we can make it go. The top speed is just a way to validate since there isn't a tachometer on the rig.
And that quietness is exactly what I want too, cruise along in 3 or 4th gear at low rpm at a half decent trail speed, and be able to talk to passenger.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
And that quietness is exactly what I want too, cruise along in 3 or 4th gear at low rpm at a half decent trail speed, and be able to talk to passenger.
Another thought..... a new set of tires/wheels will set you back $600 plus depending on what you buy, the gear mod can be done for under $150 :)

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!