P500 A faster P5, it is possible.....gearing increase

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
@906UP @Duckhunt can one of you guys give me a call I have a question. No rush Im as far as I’m going until tomorrow. My cell number is(318) 210-5646. Thanks, Justin.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@906UP @Duckhunt can one of you guys give me a call I have a question. No rush Im as far as I’m going until tomorrow. My cell number is(318) 210-5646. Thanks, Justin.
@906UP is out of the country this week.

Reactions: aprils_fool
aprils_fool

aprils_fool

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2017
Big Rapids, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@906UP is out of the country for work this week but If you post your question on here he may reply.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
It was a question about the front shaft. I don’t think I’ve messed it up. Once I felt the slack it. I stopped and then saw about taking the front differential loose. I did that and the front driveshaft fell down. Then I quit for the day. I’ll finish it tomorrow. I read how @Duckhunt removed the case and I’ll do it that way and coat the shaft with old oil so maybe it will slide off easier.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It was a question about the front shaft. I don’t think I’ve messed it up. Once I felt the slack it. I stopped and then saw about taking the front differential loose. I did that and the front driveshaft fell down. Then I quit for the day. I’ll finish it tomorrow. I read how @Duckhunt removed the case and I’ll do it that way and coat the shaft with old oil so maybe it will slide off easier.
Did the final shaft(in the engine) slide towards the back? If not your front seal should be fine, if it did it may be damaged. Post a pic on here and someone should be able to help, I'm 6hrs ahead of the eastern time zone currently.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Yes it did. Only reason I even was worried is the fact I could see that o ring had moved up further up the shaft. I’ll call Honda when they open and see if they have the seal in stock. I saw your “how to” looks pretty straight forward.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Yes it did. Only reason I even was worried is the fact I could see that o ring had moved up further up the shaft. I’ll call Honda when they open and see if they have the seal in stock. I saw your “how to” looks pretty straight forward.
The seal is cheap, under $10. Just make sure to do it after the back is all buttoned up so the shaft can't slip back again and it'll go fine.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Well I got everything put back together. I set the speedo drd at -36 just like @906UP said. First spin around the lot out back at work and it works like a freaking champ. Way smoother shifting and a lot less noise. First three gears shift just fine. I’ll take it home tomorrow and really give it a go. I feel like a kid at Christmas!

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
I only hit 45 mph after the mod on the top end but that’s fine with me. Pretty sure it’s because I have heavy tires, but I love being able to cruise at 35-40 and it’s actually not screaming at me! I found my speedo on the display is actually about 5-6mph off. At 31 on my display it was reading 36/37 on my gps. I really don’t understand why these weren’t the factory gears but I’m not a smart engineer. I’m just a measly little aircraft mechanic who can turn a wrench.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I only hit 45 mph after the mod on the top end but that’s fine with me. Pretty sure it’s because I have heavy tires, but I love being able to cruise at 35-40 and it’s actually not screaming at me! I found my speedo on the display is actually about 5-6mph off. At 31 on my display it was reading 36/37 on my gps. I really don’t understand why these weren’t the factory gears but I’m not a smart engineer. I’m just a measly little aircraft mechanic who can turn a wrench.
I had 27" Terrabites on mine when I did the mod and had similar results. I actually got more top end speed by running the stock 24's.

K

Karns07

Oct 16, 2018
Pemberville, OH
Ownership

1. 500
Anybody around the northwest ohio or southeast michigan area done this? I have mechanical ability but i don't think i have enough to start messing with gears as much as id like to.

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
Anybody around the northwest ohio or southeast michigan area done this? I have mechanical ability but i don't think i have enough to start messing with gears as much as id like to.

Just do it! Follow the directions listed on post one step by step and you can do it!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
It really is quite simple, there is no "set up" to the gears, they just slide off/on the shafts once the cover is removed. The hardest part is removing the stuff to get to the cover. It's just nuts & bolts!

Woodro

Woodro

Jun 22, 2019
Rome,Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
It really is quite simple, there is no "set up" to the gears, they just slide off/on the shafts once the cover is removed. The hardest part is removing the stuff to get to the cover. It's just nuts & bolts!

Woodro

Woodro

Jun 22, 2019
Rome,Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
Gear swap on 2015 HP 500
I've completed putting on rear engine cover and have oil back in. I have a spacer under sensor .1085. I can not get the "- " off the screen it will not show neutral or turn over.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Gear swap on 2015 HP 500
I've completed putting on rear engine cover and have oil back in. I have a spacer under sensor .1085. I can not get the "- " off the screen it will not show neutral or turn over.

Check the gear position sensor, sounds like it's not in the correct position or not connected......the switch at the bottom of the case that had the small diameter pin on the back, it goes in the shift drum.

Reactions: Mudwing
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The "-" means the ECU isnt happy with one of the sensors, I'm guessing you're getting it because it doesnt know if it's in gear or not, that's why it wont start. It may if you push the brake while turning the key but I would check the switch position first.

Reactions: Mudwing
99Burban

99Burban

May 1, 2016
Michigan
Gear swap on 2015 HP 500

I had this problem on one of the machines I worked on. I damaged the gear position switch inside the cover.(Honda P/N 35759-HL5-A01). I swear I put everything together the right way but the amount of empty beer cans proved me wrong.

I would check all of the wiring first. Hopefully you just have a loose connection. Then I would check the shift angle sensor (Honda P/N 37700-HP5-601) for correct installation. If that doesn't fix it you may have to take the case apart and check/replace the gear position sensor.

The gear position sensor is only $26 at partzilla.
Honda Side by Side 2015 OEM Parts Diagram for Rear Crankcase Cover | Partzilla.com

There isn't too much that can go wrong so stay patient and you will be riding in no time!

Upload 2019 7 3 8 31 50

Reactions: 906UP
Woodro

Woodro

Jun 22, 2019
Rome,Ga.
Ownership

1. 500
I appreciate all the help from everyone. I believe that the gear position sensor may be damaged. I finally got it to show a gear on the screen but it showed 4th and was in neutral. I have it jacked up and rear wheels spin free in both directions. Looking at the diagram l didn't know the long pin need to line up with the N on the cover. So the pin is probably not in the right direction. I'm going to start over.

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I appreciate all the help from everyone. I believe that the gear position sensor may be damaged. I finally got it to show a gear on the screen but it showed 4th and was in neutral. I have it jacked up and rear wheels spin free in both directions. Looking at the diagram l didn't know the long pin need to line up with the N on the cover. So the pin is probably not in the right direction. I'm going to start over.
It's possible it might just be 180* out of alignment, might be worth pulling it out and rotating it to see if that works. I'll pm you my number, if you have questions you can call or text me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!